Wonder how they react if we all sent 'em an email as follows:

"Dear Norton,

We have sold hundreds of copies of your software over the years via affiliate programs.

Considering Norton Internet Security and Firewall are blocking most affiliate links and banners, it is no longer worth our while promoting them via affiliate links. Thanks to your wonderful software our links simply won't show. Therefore, we have decided to switch our links to a warez site from which people may download Norton Internet Security and Firewall for free.

Of course, should your software one day no longer wipe out the affiliate links from our site, we will switch our links back to sites selling Norton products rather than allowing people to download hacked copies."

We have never sold Norton products, but I thought such an email might give them a jolt!

It makes sense. What is the point of referring people to Amazon or another online store to buy Norton products when their own software will not show the link and therefore not generate the publisher any revenue?

Nadeem Azam
    No1Free.com - promote your website for free
    Azam.biz - go here to develop a residual income stream

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

Sounds pretty lame. Why would we want them to download it for free when it will still wipe out our links. How bout just explaining that we are concered about the problem and asking what they can do about it.

ABW Ambassador
    After the first couple, they'd probably just filter the rest into the trash...

Die Parasites Die!!

Tell them you are instead going to remove their links, and explain to your visitors why they were removed.

Perhaps a brief lesson about censorship and the calamities that befall societies that allow it could be included.

Then run ads promoting their competition. THAT might make Norton take notice! Especially if pages like this come up under SE searches for Norton.

Andy

I agree partially with Jane.
    It still kills the links
    Also, you think they will let it slide when these people start sending them emails saying they are going to promote copywrite infringement and that potential customers will be sent to warez/download sites?
    Even if it's just an idle threat, why bring that hostility down on affiliates?
    I would think a more logical approach would be to find software that offers similar protection, or at the least doesn't default to blocking affiliate adds, and make the point that you will be promoting this product in place of theirs.
    I am pretty sure that lots of people have explained this problem to Norton with no results.
    A combination of explaining the problem, explaining that affiliates have alterntative products to push, and informing then that these same affiliates who once pushed their products are now more than willing to promote their competitors due to this problem IMO would be a better idea.
    and that's my 2 cents ... errr sorry my2cents

Must Build More in 2004
    Game on!!!! - The DawgFather

ABW Ambassador
    Early on I wrote Symantec that as an affiliate marketer I would no longer subscribe to their software. I wrote them again later to let them know that I've worked out a method of displaying a working affiliate ad for McAfee Virus Scan every time they block our normal banners.

Both time we received the following response:

" "

Good luck with your letter campaign
    Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Forget the warez threat, tell them you will refer them to free alternatives that dont block links.

I use Sygate Firewall & AVast anti-virus. After removing my own Norton Antivirus program and loading Avast, a virus was found that Norton missed. Great free alternatives and I see all affiliate links and banners.

No HTML skills? No SEO knowledge? Don't let that stop you.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NorthernStudio:
    Early on I wrote Symantec that as an affiliate marketer I would no longer subscribe to their software. I wrote them again later to let them know that I've worked out a method of displaying a working affiliate ad for McAfee Virus Scan every time they block our normal banners.

Both time we received the following response:

" "

Good luck with your letter campaign
    Wayne<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

McAfee is now blocking affiliate ads too (so a friend of mine tells me).

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Someone on another forum where we have been brainstorming this also suggested.

FTC Consumer Complaint Form: https://rn.ftc.gov/pls/dod/wsolcq$.s..._ORG_CODE=PU01 FTC site content Fair Trade Act 2002 Quote: Article 10

No monopolistic enterprises shall:

directly or indirectly prevent any other enterprises from competing by unfair means;
    improperly set, maintain or change the price for goods or the remuneration for services;
    make a trading counterpart give preferential treatment without justification; or
    otherwise abuse its market power.

Linda Buquet 714.754.1280 :: Catalyst eMarketing Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Merchants!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>McAfee is now blocking affiliate ads too (so a friend of mine tells me).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Your friend is correct. The difference is that Norton has set this as the default, a "feature" that most people (at least anecdotaly,) are unaware of. McAfee doesn't.

I have no problem with McAfee including ad blocking with their software. It is something that some people want. McAfee requires the user to activate it. Norton block ads across the board, assuming the user will know that is activated and that they will know how to disable it when they tire of seeing huge gaps in web pages they visit.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Wayne
    Could McAfee have updated this in an auto-update download? Just asking as my friend said she had not changed the defualts. Having said that, my "friend" is a fiddler!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Linda just found one of the legal jewels, amongst others, thta makes it legally indefensible for Norton/Symantic or any others to block access to my programs affiliate link codes. This goes with or without the normal "users choice" defense. It's illegal and subject to an immediate injunction prohibiting the use of this blocking feature. Actual ecommerce damages can then be imposed from the date of the injunction.

My NetworkMall idea is the only safe haven for merchants and affiliates.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Linda just found one of the legal jewels, amongst others, thta makes it legally indefensible for Norton/Symantic or any others to block access to my programs affiliate link codes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    If this exists indeed, how come not a single company took Symantec to court yet? Even yahoo ads are blocked....

Here's some food for thought:

I just got a message from my Attorney, who advised me that there is a potential issue with copyright laws if the text links being removed were incorporated into the content of the site so as to make the pages incomprehensible by their removal. He said if publishers were to make a larger portion of the text part of the link itself, so that by removing the link, the blockers would also be removing large chunks of copyrighted content from the page, it's possible copyright laws could be enforced against the blockers. The blockers need to be smart enough to remove only advertising, not content. And I don't think they can do that at this point.

They could then potentially be held liable for defacing the page, and violating copyright laws by removing copyrighted content without the author's permission.

So instead of making the link "Click here to buy a Blue Widget", you'd make it "Blue Widgets have been around for years, and are highly coveted collector's items by many. The version made from pure silk is now selling for six times it's original asking price. To start your own collection of widgets, Click here to buy a Blue Widget, and discover how rewarding these collectibles can be."

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by perfectG:

Could McAfee have updated this in an auto-update download?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Hmmm... that I don't know. I hope it's not the case but I don't have any current info to offer. We'll have to check it out and act accordingly.

Wayne

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    >They could then potentially be held liable for defacing the page, and violating copyright laws by removing copyrighted content without the author's permission.

Load up some suitable pages, then send a DCMA letter to Symantec AND their hosting providers - haulakh@speedera.com abuse@level3.com abuse@exodus.net

Maybe cc: to Ben Edelman and EFF ??

George Orwell got the date wrong

My Attorney says this thing with Norton (and the parasites) sounds like a "Tortious interference with a beneficial contractural or economic relationship."

That is legitimate grounds for a law suit.

Andy

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I agree with the others that suing them sounds like a worthwhile idea.

But skip the warez threat, Nadeem, or it'll be them suing *you!*

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

So...

What do Communists think about restraint of trade?

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Irma said: If this exists indeed, how come not a single company took Symantec to court yet? Even yahoo ads are blocked....

Well Holdup suspender's affiliate links are not blocked by Norton or the others as they have been informed by sever eommerce cart server companies they will be class action sued by 120,000+ merchants their server links get whacked. Norton and the others already know this. No network runs their own shopping cart/e-catalog for merchants products. The NetworkMall model does this and sets referral cookies from withing the shopping cart....no interference ever!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Well,

I've been reading here about Norton and their problems for the past few weeks or months now. Perhaps I missed it but has any one mentioned a company called Trend Micro? Has any body heard of it?

The'er website is trendmicro.com also antivirus.com also zonelabs.com also pccillin.com

I stopped using Norton since about 1995, ever since it slowed down and crashed a few computers using their so called "crash shield" program built in, which they still use today and people still install it. (bad idea) Back in 95 I was introduced to this company "Trend Micro" when I built a new clone AMD computer and noticed within the Motherboard CD was an antivirus software called pccillin which came whith just about every new computer and aslo was the main motherboard bios virus protection.

I installed and ran many virus scans using this program and never had a problem. I scanned, found and detectect many viruses that sometimes MCafee would not find. Norton was pretty good at finding and detecting viruses too but ever since they started combining virus and pc security and firewall and still crash shield into their software it got even worse. To this date I still use pccillin and still have no problems.

Why would anyone use Norton to install all these programs on their computer when you don't have to, because the Norton marketing and publicity was ofcourse alot better tan Trend Micro, and ofcourse some techies that call themselfs techs or even the ones I met at some companies with MCSE certification etc. promoted Norton on their Windows 2000 machines, why because it was the only way to impress the boss and when ever they called Microsoft for a patch or problem, Microsoft always recommended Norton, (I know I was their then the systems crashed for a local Medical Clinic I worked for).

You do not need Norton on your computer, all you need, if you have DSL or higher is ZoneAlarm (the free version) and PCCillin. If you have dial-up then all you need is PCCillin, that's it.

Perhaps some of you have heard of them since they are a merchant in cj.

I have no stock or know any one in these companies, i just hate the way Norton has handled their software products and specially their ad-blocking, which should have been by default the customer's choice to block not Nortons.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread