Question How to serve a selection of relevant ads from my aff. programs?
    This is probably really basic, and if so then sorry for the NOOOOOOB question.

Demonstration: Clear your cookies. Go to 1800petmeds.com. Then login to myspace.com, then go to your message inbox. You should see the 1800petmeds.com banner ad at the top. I just demonstrated this. I'd like to do something similar on my website.

Given: My website is example.com and it has a database of some affiliate programs for which I'm authorized to display ads.

My goal: Some visitor goes to AdvertiserA.com. Then the next day, he goes to example.com (my site) which will request which cookies on the visitor's pc are for any advertiser for which I am an affiliate. Since there is a match for AdvertiserA.com, the AdvertiserA ad will display on example.com. That's all. Can I do it?
    Last edited by leafgreen; June 16th, 2009 at 04:47 AM. Reason: writing improvement

Yes, via Platform-A's Leadback service:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=114977

the average CTR for LeadBack.com is more than 2x the average for banner ads overall
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Hi Haiko,
    Thanks for your reply. Leadback.com is doing something sort of similar, but still different. On my site, I can have leadback banners, but visitors will be shown leadback's advertisers. I want to show a selection of my affiliate banners, not theirs, based on the visitor's cookies as I mentioned before.

(And Leadback.com's site is written primarily for advertisers, not publishers, who want to pay $1 per click for visitors to come back to their site. I'm not wanting that.)

Quote Originally Posted by leafgreen
    Hi Haiko,
    Thanks for your reply. Leadback.com is doing something sort of similar, but still different. On my site, I can have leadback banners, but visitors will be shown leadback's advertisers. I want to show a selection of my affiliate banners, not theirs, based on the visitor's cookies as I mentioned before.
    No they show YOUR Banner:

(And Leadback.com's site is written primarily for advertisers, not publishers
    In this instance your the advertiser - it's your banner that will be shown.

who want to pay $1 per click for visitors to come back to their site. I'm not wanting that.)
    Well if you have the right niche and product, the $1 is a BARGAIN considering that the CTR is more than 2x the average for banner ads overall, because these leads have already shown an interest in the site.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Aha, that's why we weren't tracking! I am not the advertiser. I'm the publisher. On my second post I wrote "my affiliate banners". No wonder you thought I was the adv. I didn't mean that.

I meant that, as a publisher of my site example.com, I am already displaying different ad banners for different advertisers (AdvertiserA, AdvertiserB, etc.). But, these ads are displayed without any request for the visitor's cookie data. So once again, when a visitor comes to my site, and he was previously on AdvertiserA's site, I want to do the same thing that Myspace and many others have been doing for years: Show an ad for AdvertiserA to the visitor.

This is probably really basic, and if so then sorry for the NOOOOOOB question.

Demonstration: Clear your cookies. Go to 1800petmeds.com. Then login to myspace.com, then go to your message inbox. You should see the 1800petmeds.com banner ad at the top. I just demonstrated this. I'd like to do something similar on my website.

Given: My website is example.com and it has a database of some affiliate programs for which I'm authorized to display ads.

My goal: Some visitor goes to AdvertiserA.com. Then the next day, he goes to example.com (my site) which will request which cookies on the visitor's pc are for any advertiser for which I am an affiliate. Since there is a match for AdvertiserA.com, the AdvertiserA ad will display on example.com. That's all. Can I do it?
    I work in .NET/SQL Server; your platform may be different but the concept is the same. You can do this all yourself pretty easily. Here's how I would approach:

1. Create SQL Table tbl_ads with columns ID and Content. ID should be an identity; content contains HTML for each ad you want to serve
    2. When visitor comes to the site, check cookies.
    A. If visitor has your cookies, pull the ID of the ad that you stored, programmatically add 1 to it, then pull THAT ad from your table. If the ID doesn't exist because you've used every ad on that visitor, automatically pull ID 1 and start all over. Obviously, serve up a cookie each time the ad is served.
    B. If the visitor has no cookies, simply pull ID 1 and serve up a cookie stating that that ID is being used. If they navigate around the site and come back to the home page and you want to show them a different ad, make sure you detect cookies on the home page every time.
    3. If you only want to change the ad for each unique visit and not for each page they see during their visit, I'd store the information in a Session so that your site knows not to keep loading new ads and cookies.

Erik
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 29th, 2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: no manual sigs

Question
    Hi Erik, thanks for your reply.
    ...check cookies. A. If visitor has your cookies...
    I need to clarify/emphasize a part of my scenario. I'm saying that my site (exampleA.com) is just like myspace.com in the original scenario. The visitor has never visited my site before, and I never stated that the visitor was ever on myspace before either. Remember my demonstration. It works. So, even though the visitor is at myspace for the first time, he is still seeing the 1800petmeds banner on myspace after visiting the 1800petmeds site. (The same applies to AdvertiserA, AdvertiserB, etc).

I'm beginning to think that the reason this is possible is because these ads are being displayed on myspace by advertising.com or doubleclick.com, and they have the rights to read the 1800petmeds cookie from the visitor's pc. How else? But I want to read those cookies and do the same without advertising.com's or doubleclick.com's help. My site is too small for them to want me, however I'm already an affiliate with 1800petmeds, AdvertiserA, AdvertiserB, etc...and all my affiliate advertisers.

I'm working with PHP, fyi.

This service that Haiko told you about is for publishers, affiliates like you. It is not for merchants, it shows Your banner to people who have visited your site when they are visiting other related sites.

It does not show your visitors your merchants' banners on your site which is what you are looking for, but it does show the banner you create for your site to people who have visited your site when they are on other sites with related content. Since they work with sites like ESPN, CNN it can help your site's credibility.

Isn't this just the idea behind tracking cookies (which Ad-Aware and other programs remove from your system due to privacy concerns)? Unfortunately, I assume there's some encryption in these, and you can only decode them if you're part of the network; as an independent third party, I can't imagine you'll be able to pull any data from them (could you imagine the privacy outcry?). The best you might be able to do is to get the HTTP REFERRER info to find the site that sent the visitor to yours, and, assuming you have the right to show banners from that site, pull a relevant one from your selection.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread