Venting about IAB sizes
    I know a lot of folks don't mess with banners, instead building datafeed-driven sites. I get that, and think it's great. We do some of that, plus contextual linking.

That being said, there are many times when we'd like to drop graphic ads into rotation as filler or remnant. But I continue to be constantly amazed at the often willy-nilly approach many vendors take to this part of their marketing strategy.

If I may, here are a few humble suggestions.

1) Use IAB standard sizes and use ALL of them. To be selfish, I'd like to see leaderboards (728x90), skyscrapers (160x600), embeds/l-rec (300x250), microbars (88x31) and monsters (300x600).

2) Pay attention to them. First, make sure they are compelling. That means well-designed with strong graphics and a sharp, professional look. And, for goodness sake, include a strong call to action. Second, keep them fresh. Boy, do I hate looking for creatives in June (hello Father's Day, graduations, etc.) and seeing a bunch of Christmas creatives.

I'll stop before I start really ranting.

ABW Ambassador
    I have given up on this hope so many years ago... ignorant AMs telling me only text ads work, not caring, lazy, etc.

Affiliate Manager Bradley.Senkovich's Avatar
    I am an AM who works closely with the web team. in fact they sit within throwing distance of me. I also think as a AM i need to be closer to them and the programmers. That is the team i belong to. I need them they need me. (well i mostly need them and they just need me to bring in money). I love keeping updated banners.

if i ask for a new banner type they give me a themed pack. my affiliates like it they put it up. they hate it they choose from about 200 other images/themes i have ready.

its an appreciation of art. as the saying goes a picture says a thousand words.

text only gives you 20 words maybe.

http and a telephoto
    This is the first I've heard of the "monsters", so I don't have any of those in any of my merchants yet, but will request some. I have full sets made when I take over a program, and try to get them to add more than one new set.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

That being said, there are many times when we'd like to drop graphic ads into rotation as filler or remnant.
    Or many times when we'd like to give an advertiser a premium placement and they don't have the right size available.

I'll stop before I start really ranting.
    It's not ranting; there's nothing crank about trying to rattle the cage of common sense.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I am going to guess (i hope its near the target)

"monsters" 300x600

used for pop ups? that is the only thing i can think of that could be that size.

used for pop ups? that is the only thing i can think of that could be that size.
    Some types of sites can accomodate a pretty large leaderboard area. The advertisers want attention, no? That's one way to get it
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

I wonder if it's a legacy from when Norton decided to block standard banner sizes several years ago and merchants started producing non-standard sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    Some types of sites can accomodate a pretty large leaderboard area. The advertisers want attention, no? That's one way to get it

jeebus that is definitely an attn grabber.... i guess with the average monitor resolution being 1280x768.

Actually, the "monster" is in use on some mainstream sites (certain parts of the Yahoo! network, the New York Times at one point) ... in fact, if you hit weather.com, you might find Nationwide with an expandable ad at the top and a monster in the right rail where they usually display an l-rec. see attached screenshot

We're rotating house ads through the monster spot on the beta version of a sister site. It's going to have a lot of impact for some smart advertiser(s).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Click here for more examples

Some refer to the Monsters as a "half-page ad"

I am really big on ONE SCREEN or ONE PAGE marketing ... I like to break up text with a banner or string of them - i.e. three 180x150's, three half banners 234x60 or four 125x125
    banners ... I like 728x90 or 728x60 to break up the tops or for top spots or out banners at the bottom.

The idea is to string either Adsene across or string banners across the page. The 180x150
    three across in a table gets as much if not more click thrus than an Adsense ad with three
    text offers ... but few merchants have 180x150 banners.

Also, if you are promoting a specific product or service ... you can string three similar niche banners across below your targetted offer ... and say as a lead text lead in. If you would like to view similar offers to this product, please click on one or more of the banners below as you desire - or something like that.

Almost everyone uses VERTICAL pages ... ads in side columns. But, I have proven to myself that if you have some text content and break it up with banners or Adsense
    banners plugged together in a table side to side the click thru rate is double to triple the
    return on vertical page banner set up.

Now, most banner makers think they have to be ART ... but that is NOT so ... they have to trigger a response and you do that with WORDS not pictures. You need to have the appropriate picture, the words that trigger response and you have to tell people to click on the banner.

And merchants ... TEST your banners in split tests ... NOT all banners pull clicks. Find the right combination of picture, text and call to action and you can double, triple or more your traffic from your present banners.

Also, if you have a text ad that pulls well ... put it in a banner form.

Idiotic response to a request for a 728X90

Thank you for contacting us.

To address your query, as of this writing, our available banner sizes for the XXXX affiliate program are 468 X 60 and 140 X 240. We have included other banner ads on our list of features for consideration in the future.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,

XXXXX Support
    Clueless!!!!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Haiko:

That's classic!

I rarely reach out to affiliate managers with stuff like this. We aren't super affiliates by any stretch, so it doesn't seem like our place to make specific requests. I've told our folks that if they don't find what they need, find another program that does.

that sounds like an automated response. I know there are some AM's out there that actually instead of taking the time to form an individualized response they just bring up a .doc and ctrl+c then ctrl+v the response.

Technically i do it for only 2 things. Generic welcome (but i follow it up personalized letter) and a denial/rejection letter (i hardly use this).

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread