Vent: Employment Ad Scams
    Since I decided last week to quit working on my 'datafeed project' and instead focus on paying the bills, I've been browsing some employment sites, and I've posted my resume on Craigslist.org. I've done all of this before (and I've found some great jobs and consulting gigs through Craigslist, which I've also used to find a car, a treadmill, a computer -- and my wife).

But this month, the scam artists are working overtime. In the past week, I've received at least a dozen emails and five telephone calls from people promoting network-marketing schemes -- plus a couple of dozen emails promising unspecified opportunities of easy wealth.

I'm also seeing many more "employment ads" that seem to be fake, from companies that aren't hiring but are merely seeking to promote their web businesses, or fishing for free advice. This certainly isn't new -- I've ended many phone calls and walked out of two job interviews in the past few years after realizing that the prospective "employer" was just trying to get free marketing advice.

Here's the one that annoyed me today. It's from a company that sells legal software (software for use by lawyers and corporate legal departments), which sounded like a pretty good fit for me, since I've recently worked full-time with a B-to-B software company, and I'm an attorney who previously wrote a syndicated newspaper column reviewing computer software for lawyers, before my more recent 12 years of experience doing internet marketing.

After reading the ad, I'm quite certain that this company has no desire to hire anyone local (it's actually an offshore software development company based in India), but instead they're just fishing for free marketing advice.

MerchantName is looking for a high energy, goal oriented Internet Marketing Manager to define and execute Internet Marketing programs. * * *

Responsibilities:

Required:

Pre-interview questions:

Please take a close look at merchant's-web-site.com and list the three most important short term and long term actions we should take to improve and maximize our organic traffic. Explain why you picked these three.
    While writing this post, I decided to search to see if the ad has appeared elsewhere, and (surprise!) much of the same ad copy has appeared in other Craiglist ads, including one for a "Social Media Marketing Manager" that didn't mention the legal software company.
    Last edited by markwelch; June 16th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.

ABW Ambassador
    "(and I've found some great jobs and consulting gigs through Craigslist, which I've also used to find a car, treadmill -- and my wife)."

You found your wife on Craiglist?

I met my wife through a Craigslist "personals ad." I wasn't looking for a wife, just looking to meet people -- indeed, we both said upfront that we didn't want to get married -- but after we met, we fell in love and she married me! (http://www.karylw.com/id2.html)

Unfortunately, the Craigslist personals ads are now flooded with aggressive spamming and fake ads posted by internet dating sites (and rule-breaking affiliates). The effectiveness of the "gigs" section (contract work) has also declined for the same reason. Because Craigslist charges a nominal fee for regular employment ads, there's been much less abuse -- until recently.

ABW Ambassador
    That is cool (I am not being sarcastic) I did something similar myself.

FYI, this has been a very common practice in the unpaid "gigs" ads on Craigslist. Quite often, people would post an ad seeking an "SEO Consultant" and would post their web site URL and ask for very specific feedback -- but the questions made it pretty clear that they were just seeking free advice.

I've often considered writing up a very detailed response (not using my own name) giving a very credible spin to some really awful advice, just to waste their time.

The bad economy is fuel for these types of scammers. They know people are getting desperate and are much more likely to be duped.

Last year my friend's husband was short-listed for a marketing position with a company that ran a points website (presumably affiliate based).

As part of the interview process, they were asked to present ideas on how to generate a buzz for their website. I told my friend not to give them ANY ideas... I'm not sure they followed my advice, but I thought it was so seedy.

Awful practice.. esp in today's uncertainties..

Hi guys the reason that i setup my latest blog was because there were so many scammers out there offering everthing and giving nothing.

I got into Affiliate Marketing by accident a friend of mine asked me to build him a website.Which i did and then he told me that he wanted me to run it for him for free.
    I couldn't possibly spend all that time running his website droppshipping service so i set him up with an ebook store.The ebook store was doing alright he was making money not enough to live off, but it was pretty good considering he was doing nothing and getting paid for it.

He told me that he no longer wanted anything to do with the website i took it over and increased traffic to over 1000 members. I then sold the ebook store and made a tidy profit.I started site flipping then i realised that i could monetise the site's in so many different ways.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread