ABW Ambassador
    I just talked to the affiliate manager at Magellans, and he said he made "a horrible mistake" on Wednesday and a whole bunch of people got drop notices who shouldn't have. He's trying to work with CJ to undo the damage, but in the meantime it's a real problem to contact the people who were dropped accidentally and let them know they weren't supposed to be dropped.

If you were one of them, call him and let him know you want to be reinstated. He will apologize profusely!

Dennis Lofland
    E-Marketing Programs Coordinator
    Magellan's International Travel, Inc.
    805-568-5408 ext. 307

He also told me that they are committed to making sure that none of their affiliates use parasitic link placement techniques. He's looking into Ebates.

Elisabeth Archambault

(cross-posted from the "Thanks, Magellans" thread.)

Thanks Elisabeth I will e-mail him

Travel safe
    Gordon
    YouTrek

I, for one, will not call him. Why should I pay for a call to try to get reinstated and still generate zero sales? My stats are in the previous thread.

While I really like their product offerings, and heavily promoted them with product links earlier this year, I sold nothing. I felt my gift guide site should have converted at least one deal. Then I discovered ABW and the parasite thing, and it seemed to give me some answers. So I had slowly been weening myself from Magellan's. Their email simply finished the process.

If I get some degree of comfort regarding their position on parasites at some point in the future, I will re-apply.

Thanks Buckworks (elizabeth) I will call them to get reinstated.

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

quote:
    Originally posted by buckworks.com:
    it's a real problem to contact the people who were dropped accidentally and let them know they weren't supposed to be dropped.

He also told me that they are committed to making sure that none of their affiliates use parasitic link placement techniques. He's looking into Ebates.

I don't mean this to be a flame, but it seems difficult to believe that they'd have trouble tracing which "former" affiliates got email. But, forgetting that, didn't you say that he was bragging about Ebates being one of his biggest accounts, and then never replied when you sent him more information?

It just doesn't seem logical to embrace them again at this point - it seems that he had ample opportunity to "look into" Ebates from your prior conversation, now he'll look into it again and then what? Dump them after Christmas, or not at all based on their assurances (that we know are coming) that it's only an occasional glitch?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    difficult to believe that they'd have trouble tracing which "former" affiliates got email.
    Whatever happened, it was/is serious enough that he was needing help from CJ to try to recover ...

As one who has made her share of Traumatic Mistakes, I sympathized and offered to post about it so people would have a better idea what was happening. Even if some people decide not to carry on with this merchant, it would feel better to know they got the letter by accident, not by intention.

He didn't brag about Ebates, it came up because of questions I asked in the midst of a phone conversation back in October. The call started with promotion ideas but ended with parasite issues. My questions were the first he'd heard of parasites. As I mentioned in the other thread, I sent him some links for background info.

During our conversation this morning Dennis said parasites were a hot issue at CJU (Thanks, Connie!) and he learned a lot. I asked pointblank if Magellans' was committed to making sure that affiliates received the commissions for sales they generated, without having to worry about earnings being intercepted by last-minute interlopers. He said yes, they're committed to that, and are looking at a number of affiliates to evaluate their methods. I understand that some have been dropped already -- on purpose, I presume!

I'm cautiously optimistic about Magellans.

quote:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Magellans.

Your further explanation does give cause for optimism - sorry if I sounded heavy handed, it just seems there is so much of the "lower the commissions, switch networks, sign up with parasites" stuff going on that it gets the best of me from time to time.

quote:
    Originally posted by buckworks.com:
    [QUOTE] difficult to believe that they'd have trouble tracing which "former" affiliates got email.
    Whatever happened, it was/is serious enough that he was needing help from CJ to try to recover ...

As one who has made her share of Traumatic Mistakes, I sympathized and offered to post about it so people would have a better idea what was happening. Even if some people decide not to carry on with this merchant, it would feel better to know they got the letter by accident, not by intention.

He didn't brag about Ebates, it came up because of questions I asked in the midst of a phone conversation back in October. The call started with promotion ideas but ended with parasite issues. My questions were the first he'd heard of parasites. As I mentioned in the other thread, I sent him some links for background info.

During our conversation this morning Dennis said parasites were a hot issue at CJU (Thanks, Connie!) and he learned a lot. QUOTE]

Pardon my ignorance, but what's parasitic placement technique ?

ABW Ambassador
    Parasitic link placement techniques:

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=8116003121

I did email 'em asking what was going on. and up till this hour i still haven't received any notification whether i'm still affiliated with Magellans or not.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    I e mailed through CJ and asked if my termination was a mistake as was reported to us here.
    No reply to my e mail yet, but they are still showing active a number of days since I was to have been terminated so I am assuming they corrected this for me.

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

Check CJ - I was supposed to be dropped 12/4 but wasn't.
    I did send an email earlier to da man.
    I may be gone if and when CJ comes back online.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread