Need Adwords Advice
    NOTE: I originally posted this under Adsense thread. I'm thinking it should go here instead. Apologies for the double posting. (Could someone please delete from wrong thread)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HI all,
    My sites aren't getting much traffic, so I thought I'd try Adwords. I've got traffic now! But my bounce rate is above 50%. I'm not sure the cost justifies the random traffic. (I'm not quite breaking even in new sales.)

I'm trying to narrow down to more niche traffic, but I can't get the managed placement stuff to kick in.

Anyone got any good rules of thumb or other general advise? I would greatly appreciate all words of wisdom!

Connie

Hi Connie,

A couple things. First, if you are an affiliate, a 50% bounce rate is good. Actually the higher the better, right? (If you don't get paid until somebody leaves your site through an affiliate link and completes a purchase somewhere else.) There's good bounces (forward, affiliate-linking bounces) and bad bounces (the dreaded back button). If you enable redirect pages and conversion tracking through AdWords you will be able to see what percentage of visitors clickthrough for particular keywords and ads.

And second, you PPC traffic shouldn't be "random." You get to pick which keywords you want you ad showing for so your customers/visitors have already pre-qualified themselves as being interested in what you're offering. If you're finding the traffic still isn't targeted enough, turn off the content network for a while and fine tune your paid-search efforts.
    Your Ad Here.

Thanks AffNinja i had the same problem i was worried about the bounce rate rather than thinking this was a positive thing.I was under the impression that the bounce rate was traffic that left due to lack of interest in my topics or being misdirected to my websites.

Thanks affninja for the helpful response. I'm tracking through Google Analytics as well as thru Adsense, but I can only get to the product page. I don't know how to add the product link to my goal. And then, I only get 4 goals, and I've got more than four products.

Is there a way?

Also, thanks for the advice about content management. That's were I'm seeing the most clicks, but the websites they're coming from aren't like mine at all. Still, I have an occasional conversion. I only wish I knew what website originated it.

This is all very complex, isn't it? Still, it seems to be a better option than wishing people would find my websites on their own, as long as I don't loose more than I make--which, today, seems to be the case.

Connie

Update:

thanks again AFFNinja for the great advice. I've got one particular ad now running only search and am getting the same response but w/out so much expense.

Connie

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    If your campaign is almost breakign even you are probably on a good one.

If you are using Analytics you can probably look at the keyword level report in analytics to find words that have poor time on site or very high bounce rate.

If you pause those words or work on fixing them you will probably make this a profitable campaign. It is difficult to get the Google Analytics on the landing page from the affiliate. Probably impossible.

So you have to work around that.

Adwords frustration
    Thanks andbeyond for the advice. I learned a lot by tracing down those keywords. It makes great sense to eliminate the keywords that visitors are bouncing on--even though my ego sure likes the increase of daily visitors to my site, they aren't doing a bit of good if they don't like what they see.

Tracking those keywords has certainly drilled me deeper into trying to understand Adwords logic. and I'm getting very frustratred with trying to find a pattern to latch onto.

My campaign was breaking even--until something changed.
    Not on my end, though.
    How can keywords that cost less than 8cents at the beginning of a week escalate to over 49cents by the end fo the week? Especially when, at the beginning of the week, Google says there wasn't enough requests to estimate a value?

And why does Google decide to show my ads on linkfarm pages now? Starting off, the pages the ads were shown on were relevant and had successful CTR. Now? They're not being shown on sites that are related at all. And several linkfarms have been added, too. Why not stick with what was working?

And why, when I do the managed content thing, does Google never, ever display my links on those pages? Even though I see other adwords ads there?

I've found adwords very confusing and frustrating, like trying to catch mercury. Can anyone point me to any references so I can get a better handle on this?

Connie
    Last edited by Connie; June 25th, 2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: added more info-realized original post was too sketchy to make sense

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I was not reading carefully enough to realize you are doing content network. Is that all you are doing?

There is search, partners, and content.

Which ones are you doing?

If you are new to this and it sounds like you might be I would suggest trying just Google search, uncheck everything else and then maybe turn on site targeted on sites that you liked the traffic from. Or just work on search for a while to get real traffic.

The content network is tough. I know some people that make all their income from it but it is not an easy place to dabble.

I usually turn it off when setting up a campaign and never get back to using it.

Thanks, andbeyond

I turned off content management after your first post for one of my websites because all the positive results came from search. The other website had most of the traffic come through content.

(I have no idea why one website/ad works one way and the other, the other way. Two different target markets, but I still can't figure out the different in behavior patterns.)

Reading over the posts, I may need to look at my search keywords again. It seems that the broad ones, though, are the ones making the sales. But not enough sales to account for the higher keyword prices.

Thanks for all your feedback--I greatly appreciate your sharing your expertise!
    Connie

If you are finding value with some sites in the content network, I believe there is a "site exclusion" feature to keep your ads off certain sites that aren't performing well for you.
    Your Ad Here.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread