iPhone 3.0 Downloaded
    I grabbed the iPhone update at 13:05 CST and it took around 30 minutes to download. For some reason internet access to email and browser was dead during the entire download. Make sure the timing is convenient in case it happens to you.

It's installing on the iPhone now and am anxious to see how it is.

I got it as well, it's loaded but it's sort of anti-climactic as I'm waiting for the hardware upgrade as well.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Well now I'm hung with
    We could not complete your iTunes Store request. The network connection timed out.
    The phone appears to be in a state with no apps and no sim card.

The 260MB download got to about 70% for me, but then my computer crashed so it started over. Ugh. (The crash wasn't Apple's fault. My laptop crashes a few times a day. Never have figured out if it's hardware [HP] or software [Microsoft] that causes it.) Still, it would have been nice if the download picked up where it left off instead of starting over.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Just got of the phone with Apple support and they say my problem is with a server used to authenticate and that it is slammed. Try back every 15 mins they say. I should have waited, but no I had to be one of the first.

Quick Edit: It connected and is waiting on activation which it says may take some time. Progress anyway.

Affiliate Manager GlobalGolf-Amanda's Avatar
    I've been getting "The iPhone cannot be updated at this time because the activation server is temporarily unavailable". Arg.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Amanda Moralis
    GlobalGolf.com | GolfShoesOnly.com | TaylorMadeGolfPreOwned.com
    [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2132449]Join our affiliate program![/URL] | [URL=http://globalgolfaff.blogspot.com/]GlobalGolf & GSO Affiliate Blog[/URL] | [URL=http://feeds.feedburner.com/ggaffs/]Coupon Feed[/URL]

I remember from the treo days a program called Zlauncher that allowed you to arrange the programs into categories ... I'd LOVE that function to be added ... it's anoying as hell to scroll through 8 screens full of apps to find the one your looking for.

So far the best thing ... text in landscape - sooo much easier no MMS yet nor tethering.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

OOOOO ... just checked ... my new one is on the way, early!

Estimated delivery Jun 18, 2009 by 3:00 PM
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalGolf-Amanda
    I've been getting "The iPhone cannot be updated at this time because the activation server is temporarily unavailable". Arg.
    Worked on about the 30th try for me. I read that if you turn off your Wi-Fi while it's compressing that it'll skip past trying to connect to the activation server. By the time I found that tip and flipped back to iTunes, I discovered that my previous attempt had been successful and my update was almost done.

For organizing apps, I try to keep different groups of apps on different pages (or grouped together on a page with other groups of apps), with my most frequently used ones on the front page.

The one big change I was hoping for (turn by turn GPS) looks like it's not there. I think the 3.0 software just adds the capability for app developers to build turn by turn GPS software, and at least one of those is expected by the end of the month.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I was furious with AT&T last week when I read about the new phone. I just purchased my iPhone in April, and the salesman told me absolutely that there would not be a new phone introduced this year.

I called the store where I purchased my phone, and they told me that I could trade in the one I bought in April by paying a 10% restocking fee, and get the newer model. Just thought I'd let others know that there is a way to get the new phone if you only recently purchased an iPhone. They said the new phones would be available in stores on June 19.

developers to build turn by turn GPS software, and at least one of those is expected by the end of the month.
    I hope that happens. We have gotten into geocaching and are holding off on buying a GPS.

As far as finding an App in 8 pages of Apps, try the new search feature. I have a Geocaching App and when I typed "Geo" it offered a link to the App plus a few more things. One link was for "Rainy Night in Georgia" in the iPod. Fairly cool I would say.

The plain built-in Maps application probably wouldn't be bad for something like geocaching, but it's a little tricky to use while driving. The GPS apps that I read are coming soon will be from Tom Tom and Navigon.

I was a bit skeptical about the value of the new search feature, but was pretty impressed when I actually tried it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Hmmm...Looks like I'll be visiting our local AT&T store next month. I still have the original iPhone so I feel like I'm in the stone age - until I look at a friend's new Blackberry Storm, that is (he hates it). I'll wait 'til the fervor dies down a bit and then pull the trigger.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I downloaded & installed the iPhone 3.0 software last night (10pm PDT) without any problems, apart from a sync error at the end. I have the original iPhone.

I like the copy/paste feature already, and the ability to use landscape mode and the wider keyboard in email. Otherwise I don't perceive any difference.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Mine will be here tomorrow!
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

I did mine this morning. It took longer to update my itunes than my iphone. Ugh.

Most of these updates should have been on the first iphone in the first place. Kind of behind the times to release a phone that can't MMS? .. Oh Well I love (hate) apple
    KK

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread