Results 1 to 12 of 12
February 19th, 2004, 04:39 PM #1
Here is the problem. 3 of my 5 sites will not load on my browser.
I immediately notified my host. They say the sites load fine for them and can't see a problem.
I called my ISP. They also say they see no problem as the sites are loading for them. My ISP and host are not related in anyway.
I did a tracert from tracert.com. The sites are working fine according to that site.
I did a c:\>tracert xxxxxxxx.com from my command line for a working site. It works fine.
Did the same for the nonworking site and it replies: Unable to resolve target system name xxxxxxxx.com
Okay... So I did an nslookup from the command line. It replies NS1.rmci.net can't find xxxxxx.com: server failed.
So, going back to the browser I try again. It won't load. I get the "page cannot be displayed" error. Although, the google toolbar reflects the proper PR for each site. That is weird.
I did a ipconfig /flushdns at my command prompt. It didn't help.
This all happened yesterday. Everything eventually started working. (took about 2-3 hours). Today, I come home and turn on the computer to check my stats. Same thing with the same 3 websites. One of the sites has eventually come back up. the other two are still out to lunch.
Everyone else can still see the sites, I am the only one that can't. I find this to be extremely weird. I haven't downloaded any software, I went to doxdesk and my computer is free of parasites. The only thing I did was replace a monitor that lost its green from the RGB. I replaced it and everything worked fine. Browsing my sites was not a problem. That was on Wednesday. This problem started yesterday (Thrusday)
Any help would be appreciated.
February 19th, 2004, 05:08 PM #2
Sounds like an issue with your ISP or computer. The fact that a tracert worked is strange. Did you try a tracert www.yoursite.com too? Does nslookup www.yoursite.com give the right IP address? You might try telnet "www.yoursite.com 80" and then type "GET / HTTP/1.0". You should get HTML or an error message. You might want to try a different browser (Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, etc) and see if it's any different.
February 19th, 2004, 05:10 PM #3
Check your firewall settings. Are your sites somehow being blocked? Sounds like it. Not sure what you're using, but if you can, add your sites to the "Trusted" settings and see if you can view them then.
I had this happen to me last year, and for some reason, I have no idea how, the site was being blocked by my firewall. I removed it from the restricted list, added it to trusted, and everything was fine after that.
<font color="red">Call the Exterminators! We've Got PARASITES!</font>
February 19th, 2004, 05:24 PM #4
Mike, it is not the ISP. Everything is fine on their end. Tracert works from an independant site but not from my command line (MSDOS) on my computer. No, nslookup www.mysite.com does not give an IP address.
Andy, 1 of the 3 sites has come up. I can add that one to my firewalls trusted sites but it will not allow me to add the other two that are not working. It says "the specified address is not valid"... The plot thickens. I will uninstall my personal firewall and see if that works.
Thanks and any more input would be appreciated.
February 19th, 2004, 05:29 PM #5
You might try a "tracert -d xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" to IP address rather than the hostname. It still sounds like your ISP to me, whether they think it's working right or not. I suspect their DNS server.
February 19th, 2004, 05:34 PM #6
- Join Date
- January 17th, 2005
I'd try netscape - I had that happen to me for a while, something to do with my ISP and caching or something.
Try netscape, for some reason it makes a difference
A page a day keeps the buzzards away.
February 19th, 2004, 05:46 PM #7
- Join Date
- January 18th, 2005
February 19th, 2004, 06:04 PM #8
I have had that happen before but don't remember the cause. Also I had a problem with my cable ISP where I could only see half the internet. Some things worked and some didn't. They didn't know when the problem would be fixed and set me up to run through a proxy server. So I dunno... but it does happen.
February 19th, 2004, 06:10 PM #9
I've removed my firewall but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Another site is now working but one more is not. That will come back up eventually.
I hope it is a DNS problem concerning my firewall. With that removed I am sure it will work tomorrow. Am going to bed now. I got to be up at 4:30 to go to my stinking job.
I hate working. HATE IT. HATE IT
I still welcome any and all input. I am only hoping it was the firewall... but have "reasonable doubt".
I have tried Netscape and Opera with no luck.
I checked my DNS settings yesterday. All is well with those... remember that others are able to pull up the sites with no problem.
February 19th, 2004, 06:16 PM #10
What I don't understand is why my browser won't display the page saying "The page cannot be displayed" but the Google toolbar reflects the correct PR. It isn't holding over from the previous site cause it changes to a different PR.
Things that make you go... Hmmmmm!
February 19th, 2004, 07:24 PM #11
February 20th, 2004, 08:28 AM #12
- Join Date
- January 18th, 2005
- Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
Sounds like the old "random DNS failures after replacing monitor" bug to me.
Get an engineer to walk up to the machine and make out he's about to disassemble it - that usually fixes it.
George Orwell got the date wrong
By onecrazymom in forum Midnight Cafe'Replies: 3Last Post: April 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM
By Rhea in forum Commission Junction - CJReplies: 4Last Post: February 22nd, 2005, 01:49 PM
By casinopr1 in forum Midnight Cafe'Replies: 5Last Post: July 25th, 2003, 09:22 PM