Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    datafeed price question
    How do you handle price in a data feed when the price depends on the quantity ordered? We have order increments of 25 with different pricing for each qty.

This has been a difficult issue. My view is that the price must reflect the order size -- if you require purchase of 25 items, then show the price for 25 items, and the product title should state the quantity (E.g. "Whammy 2310 Laser Toaster, lot of 25" or "25 Whammy 2310 Laser Toasters").

One merchant (which recently disappeared) provided a datafeed that would list a product name but no quantity in the title, with a price that was deceptive because the merchant sold only lots of 10 or more items. Of course, the merchant knew that most affiliates would just propegate the datafeed unchanged, and thus the merchant would deceptively appear to have the lowest price available). An alternative might be to include a qualifier like "Min. Order 10" or "(Wholesale)" as part of the product title.

It does depend on the industry, however. I have no trouble with companies that sell wedding favors, which identify a single-item price even though there is a minimum quantity or minimum order size. For those products, I don't believe that this is deceptive (at least for low-price items). And now that I check, I do see that you sell wedding favors and other wedding-theme products.

I think there is a difference between "minimum quantity" and "required increments," but I'm not quite sure where I'd draw the line. If you just sell items by the dozen, show the price for a dozen. If you require a minimum purchase of 25 items but allow purchases of 35 or 40 items, it's probably better to show the single-item price.
    Last edited by markwelch; June 18th, 2009 at 04:10 PM.

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    So include the price for the minimum of 25 only?

If you sell only in increments of 25, then I think the proper thing is to show the price for 25.

If I see an ad that says "Bagels 50 cents each," and nothing more, then I expect to be able to buy 1 or 7 of them at 50 cents each. If the store actually sells only a bag of 6 for $3, the ad is deceptive.

But I'm just one guy with an opinion, and quite frankly I'm pretty sure I've never generated any sales of wedding-favor products (although our household just experienced a tornado of out-of-towners here for a wedding, and we're helping plan another for July).

For what my opinion is worth, I have a site set up to handle products sold in incremental values, such as $x for the first 25, $x for 25-49, $x for 50 or more.

The feeds that I receive only show the pricing for lowest amount and the individual price for that same group. I had to visit each site (initially) to add the extra information to my database (minimim purchase amount, quantity discounts and so on).

What would I like the feeds to look like? This:

Product Name - Votive Candle
    Product Description - Great smelling candle
    Product URL - whatever
    Price1(for first level such as 1-25) - 1.50
    Level Quantities1 - 1-25
    Price2 (for next level such as 26-49) - 1.25
    Level Quantities2 - 26-49
    Price3 (for next level such as 50-???) - 1.00
    Level Quantites3 - 50-???

This may be difficult to do but this is how I would like the feeds to be.

Hope this helps.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread