Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2007
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    3,250
    DataFeed Sites -- SPEAK OUT !!!!!
    Is datafeed the way to go ???

    Got a bazillion products on your site.......

    I realize that 100 x a little adds up,

    BUT .... -

    What are the real advantages?

    Is it better to have XXXXX items for sale or to SPECIALIZE and promote a few ?

    Am I missing the point?

    Maybe worse ??

    Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

  2. #2
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,327
    There are many many (way too many) affiliates using the same datafeeds, in the same way.

    Yes, you can make a lot of money using datafeeds, but doing so in a way that makes your site worth visiting.

    It is best to have as much as you can possibly manage to produce, as long as what you are producing adds value.

    So if you can build 50 million pages of datafeed content, then go for it. You need to consider if those pages actually make it better for an online visitor though.

    If not, then you are just sending out garbage, like most of the affiliates that work with datafeeds.

    Add value, use the datafeed content in ways that will enhance the Internet, not fill it with junk.

  3. #3
    Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2007
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    3,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    There are many many (way too many) affiliates using the same datafeeds, in the same way.

    Yes, you can make a lot of money using datafeeds, but doing so in a way that makes your site worth visiting.

    It is best to have as much as you can possibly manage to produce, as long as what you are producing adds value.

    So if you can build 50 million pages of datafeed content, then go for it. You need to consider if those pages actually make it better for an online visitor though.

    If not, then you are just sending out garbage, like most of the affiliates that work with datafeeds.

    Add value, use the datafeed content in ways that will enhance the Internet, not fill it with junk.
    Glad that you are one that responded Julian .

    I respect your advice highly.

    I guess that one of my thoughts is ....

    Do these bazillions of pages get indexed?

    Even w/ indexing software or state of the art SEO miracles?

    Do you have tons of products, no content to attract people to that product, and a bunch of DEAD pages taking up space on the world wide web?

    Who's making money outside of their NICHE?

    Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

  4. #4
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,327
    Some pages may be indexed, but it doesn't mean anything if you aren't on the irst few pages of search results.
    Most pages may never be indexed, unless you have very good navigation and add value.

    I have in the past created millions of pages. However, I learned some very valuable lessons in the process. Quantity is not the way to go, quality is.

    If you can get it right, you can make a lot of money.

    If you don't get it right, you are wasting your time.

    Getting it right may take years of trial and error and constant learning, tweaking and pain.

  5. #5
    Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2007
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    3,250
    If you are not in the top THREE in the indexes, forget it!

    PPC has it's bonuses with good landing pages.

    Indexing thousands of products that may get a hit or two is ..... ?

    Maybe 500 pages hit once a day is good....

    I don't know..

    Seems like quantity over quality unless you have a great niche and visitors that are addicted to the search button...

    Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,327
    "Seems like quantity over quality unless you have a great niche and visitors that are addicted to the search button"

    Try it. Build 50 million pages. Quantity means nothing if those pages are junk.

  7. #7
    Kung Fu Master Eathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,833
    Guys, a datafeed (or a dozen feeds) doesn't make the pages junk. Junk pages are junk pages regardless, and that's squarely on the webmaster, not the feed.

    Using a feed to crank out pages is going to produce cranked out pages, no more and no less, but that's not the only way to use a datafeed.
    Eathan Mertz

    Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

  8. #8
    Action Jackson - King of the World
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,201
    It is very hard these days to use feeds unless you have a loyal customer base without seo traffic. Better to come up with something that is useful to your visitors and that hasn't been done before. Especially great if you can get some sort of visitor interaction going.

  9. #9
    Believe knight01's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2006
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,815
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Guys, a datafeed (or a dozen feeds) doesn't make the pages junk. Junk pages are junk pages regardless, and that's squarely on the webmaster, not the feed.

    Using a feed to crank out pages is going to produce cranked out pages, no more and no less, but that's not the only way to use a datafeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    Better to come up with something that is useful to your visitors and that hasn't been done before. Especially great if you can get some sort of visitor interaction going.
    Both are excellent insights. Grabbing a feed and spitting it out onto a page isn't 'using' a feed.

    Think in terms of integrating a feed, or part of a feed, into a niche site with useful content.

    Datafeeds can be part of the equation for a successful affiliate site, not the answer to it.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

  10. #10
    Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2007
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    3,250
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    It is very hard these days to use feeds unless you have a loyal customer base without seo traffic. Better to come up with something that is useful to your visitors and that hasn't been done before. Especially great if you can get some sort of visitor interaction going.

    Definately harder said than done ...

    Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

  11. #11
    Action Jackson - King of the World
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,201
    Don't I know that LOL

  12. #12
    Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2007
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    3,250
    Quote Originally Posted by jackson992
    Don't I know that LOL

    I'd like to think that THAT is why I hang around here so much!

    You can never get too many opinions...

    Just have to put in some REAL effort to educate yourself and test, test, test everything and see what sticks .....

    Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

  13. #13
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    I think the real key to datafeeds is your search results. If you can answer some complicated searches better than anybody else you'll certainly have an edge. For example "good jacket for desert climate" or "ideal beach sandals" or even "best thai cookbook". We've barely scratched the surface on subjective product search. There is a ton of room for improvement and those diligent enough to solve these complicated problems will succeed.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  14. #14
    Kung Fu Master Eathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,833
    Feeds are sorta' like flour. What you bake is up to you. Scott does good bread.
    Eathan Mertz

    Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

  15. #15
    Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2007
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    3,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    Feeds are sorta' like flour. What you bake is up to you. Scott does good bread.
    Genious! -

    Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

  16. #16
    Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2007
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    3,250
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I think the real key to datafeeds is your search results. If you can answer some complicated searches better than anybody else you'll certainly have an edge. For example "good jacket for desert climate" or "ideal beach sandals" or even "best thai cookbook". We've barely scratched the surface on subjective product search. There is a ton of room for improvement and those diligent enough to solve these complicated problems will succeed.

    - Scott
    Quality Search Functions are Complicerated .... and far and few between.

    I really appreciate a site with spot on search ....

    Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

  17. #17
    Newbie
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Posts
    1,537
    Feeds are like going to a mall where every store is the same store with the same stuff at the same price.

    Which one do you go into? It doesn't matter. If you own that store, you need to differentiate it in some way, so you get more visitors with credit cards a blazing than the other guys with their stores.

    How do you do that trick is why it is called AFFILIATE MARKETING.

    And what is strange is that sometimes you get it right and the money flows in for awhile
    and then you clean up. But then for no known reason, since you did not do anything to this site, visitors and sales disappear.

    As Claude Hopkins said in the 1920's - you got to test, test and keep testing to find what the customers really want. There is no magic bullet.

  18. #18
    Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 1st, 2007
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    3,250
    Quote Originally Posted by net4biz
    Feeds are like going to a mall where every store is the same store with the same stuff at the same price.

    Which one do you go into? It doesn't matter. If you own that store, you need to differentiate it in some way, so you get more visitors with credit cards a blazing than the other guys with their stores.

    How do you do that trick is why it is called AFFILIATE MARKETING.

    And what is strange is that sometimes you get it right and the money flows in for awhile
    and then you clean up. But then for no known reason, since you did not do anything to this site, visitors and sales disappear.

    As Claude Hopkins said in the 1920's - you got to test, test and keep testing to find what the customers really want. There is no magic bullet.

    Said like only you can say it N4B ..


    Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

  19. #19
    Affiliate Manager
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    1,913
    On the one hand, if all you did was dump a feed onto the web then no, datafeeds won't do you any good.

    But on the other hand, if you want to sell more than just a few items then datafeeds and flexible tools to work with them will save you significant time putting together your product presentation.

    Content without products might get hits but won't make you any money. Products without some unique content might get clicks but from relatively few hits.

    There is no quick answer, no get-rich-quick. But there are data feeds, and tools to work with them. How effectively you work with them is up to you. ABW is a great place to learn.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

  20. #20
    ABW Ambassador meadowmufn's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    2,587
    For some reason, some old lyrics just popped into my head...

    It's not what you do
    It's how you do it.
    Be anything you want to be
    It's not what you got
    It's how you use it

    You be you
    And I'll be me

    My most effective datafeed sites are: 1) niche, 2) I take time to highlight specific products with my own copy, 3) refer to related products within the feed from those highlighted product pages, and 4) customer service (make it easy for customers to ask questions, build a faq, help them find exactly what they're looking for).

    Wish I had more time to focus on fleshing out those sites more.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

  21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Datafeed sites in 2015...
    By domain7 in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: February 19th, 2015, 10:24 AM
  2. Featured: How are you updating you datafeed sites?
    By kse in forum Programming / Datafeeds / Tools
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: December 13th, 2011, 06:40 PM
  3. Datafeed Sites
    By noclue in forum Newbie Affiliate FAQs & Helpful Articles
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: June 16th, 2008, 09:32 PM
  4. Datafeed sites
    By ceetee in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 10th, 2007, 05:06 PM
  5. Getting Links from Datafeed Sites
    By michaeldsimmons in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: February 6th, 2005, 01:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •