open source trademark bidding project
    Multiple of my clients have had problems with this so yesterday I released an open source trademark bid monitoring software. This is available to the entire community for free (like all open source software).

iTrademarkBidding.com

this allows you to track whose bidding on your trademarks (or merchant name) in google, yahoo and bing. If any other programmers are interested in contributing let me know. This is strictly an open source project and will remain completely free (in the interest of helping to clean up the affiliate market).

Source code is available here: itrademarkbidding.com/itb-open.txt

for those interested in contributing / building an in-house system.

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 19th, 2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Removed Hotlinks

Hi Mark,

I encourage you to read this thread - http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...8&page=1&pp=25

If you want to be accurate and properly inform merchants who utilize the trademark tool - you need to inform them on a couple of things

1. If you have a generic term in your trademark like "diet direct" for example - there will be PPC results from people who bid on the term "diet"

2. Many results may also show up from people who aren't bidding on your trademark but because of "Advanced Match" settings (at least at Yahoo) - their ads pop up anyway
    Larry Wentz
    <a href="http://twitter.com/LarryWentz">Twitter.com/LarryWentz</a>

I just entered my weight loss domain name site (with the .com) & saw 19 companies apparently bidding on my domain name at Google including WeightWatchers.com, Slim-Fast.com, JennyCraig.com, Optifast.com, Atkins.com, etc....

So what do you think? Is it accurate to determine that these companies actually are bidding on my domain name or is search engine ad serving technology doing the dirty deed?
    Larry Wentz
    <a href="http://twitter.com/LarryWentz">Twitter.com/LarryWentz</a>

Thanks for the reply Larry. My opinion is that the first step required to stop undesired affiliate trademark bidding is to track whose doing it. How exactly you manage the problems after identifying them is beyond the scope of this application.

As you mentioned especially in Yahoo affiliates may bid on terms they didn't expect. In these cases I believe merchants still want to know so they can request that the bidders add negative rules to prevent the problem in the future.

It's just one piece of the puzzle.

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread