Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    My New Signature
    Wanted to include the following in every post in hopes it might make someone pause for a second and consider this:

I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Great idea, Howard.

Maybe someone will find comfort in it and take a moment for self-reflection.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I pulled that from Jackson992's MIA thread the other day, printed it and hung it here in my office.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Sadly, there will be multitudes that come to the throne of God and here, "I never knew you, depart from me".

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Gottlieb
    Wanted to include the following in every post in hopes it might make someone pause for a second and consider this:

Good for you!

I used to be religious a few dacades ago, so I can't blame anyone for what they chose to believe...

But,...

Lately, I have came to the conclusion that I would rather live my life one day at the time, thinking that I may be right about what I think about any religion, than live the rest of my live being afraid of what would happen to me after I am dead and buried...

Btw, I am now inspired to add a song to my Sig: "Let Me Be Myself"

This is the only decent video of this song I could find on YouTube.

Though, I guess it isn't really a religious song.

For me... It is what keeps me going from minute to minute and from day to day.

For now He is my shoulder to cry on.

But, I know the day comes when He will no longer be my shoulder to cry on.

For He will wipe away all my tears and I won't have a reason to cry anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GB8dz-mCtQ

What you are describing is Pascal's Wager:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_Wager

I don't mind this philosophy if it comes from the individual. We all should choose to be good people and whatever brings us to that point is usually a good thing. However, we can lead positive and ethical lives without subscribing to a specific religion or believing in a final judgement from a higher power.

I really don't like this philosophy if it comes from a religious institution or leader. It is the ultimate sales pitch. "You might not need to follow all the rules I will set for you, but there is a chance you will burn in hell if you don't."

This is very similar to "you may never need your disaster insurance, but won't you be happy if you need it?"

The next question is are you getting a fair deal or is the fear of disaster being abused and highlighted to sell you way more than you need?
    Last edited by OICUAM2; June 23rd, 2009 at 09:12 PM.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    I really don't like this philosophy if it comes from a religious institution or leader. It is the ultimate sales pitch. "You might not need to follow all the rules I will set for you, but there is a chance you will burn in hell if you don't."

This is very similar to "you may never need your disaster insurance, but won't you be happy if you need it?"

The next question is are you getting a fair deal or is the fear of disaster being abused and highlighted to sell you way more than you need?
    Religion is like everything else in life...

You choose to believe in a Higher Power or you don't.

I understand fully why Atheists have their view.

Creationism. Evolution. Science. UFO's. Virgin Mary showing up in a cookie ?

Who knows, but when my Higher Power showed up in my life at a time when I needed It most, I chose to stand behind what IS REAL to me...

Take a chance..

You may be right!

But what if you're wrong?

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

I won't speak for Howard here, or anyone for that matter. But I don't see that quote as having any particular "true religious" significance.

I think it's a fine idea. Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Muslim, Atheist, Agnostic or whatever.

No harm in subscribing to what really lies beneath that quote.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

We all should choose to be good people and whatever brings us to that point is usually a good thing. However, we can lead positive and ethical lives without subscribing to a specific religion or believing in a final judgement from a higher power.

The problem with no higher authority is that leaves each of us to determine morality and definitions of good and bad.

I am 52 years old and I have found man has lots of good qualities but also does an unbelievable amount of bad too. I hope each of our world's don't simply revolve around our own standards. A child molester can determine that their actions are okay because surely they are better than a murderer for example.

I won't advocate a specific religious doctrine to anyone here but I challenge you to read the entire book of Romans in the New Testament and see if that isn't a wonderful explanation of man.

For those who deny a greater authority I wonder why you find it more difficult to believe that we were created for a purpose by an intelligent creator than to believe we are a freak accident. Believing that all we see is just some sort of random chance is way beyond believe to me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Gottlieb
    I won't advocate a specific religious doctrine to anyone here but I challenge you to read the entire book of Romans in the New Testament and see if that isn't a wonderful explanation of man.
    I'm a big fan of Paul's -
    Last edited by RemodelingGuy; June 24th, 2009 at 09:45 AM.

Admin Note: If we don't allow political discussions what makes anyone think we'll allow a religious debate?

The sig was great because it specifically didn't promote any one belief structure, let's not now muck it up by inserting beliefs or quoting scripture. There are many people on this board with a multitude of varied beliefs and every one of them are allowed to their own beliefs and their right not see others doctrines, or scripture posted on a BUSINESS forum.

Thank you.

LOUD and Clear -

Religion is not the only source of higher authority.

Democratic laws are a form of higher authority.

A child molestor can think what he wants, but he/she will be breaking the law and imprisoned.

Democratic laws are transparent and accountable in a (relatively) open system with the ability to make changes as we discover new things.

Religious authority is determined according to an individual or institutional claim to understand what God wants. I personally don't think anyone has the power to know what God thinks or wants. I think most religious authority is far more human than divine.

I live a good, positive, legal, ethical life. If I discover upon my death that there is an after life with a judge standing at the gates, then I will be happy to present my resume.

If I am denied, I will know my rejection was based on the unknowable standards of the exclusive club owner.

Anyone who thinks they know exactly what those standards are probably has an ebook telling us exactly how to rank well in Google. The truth is nobody knows for sure and things continue to change.

Haiko - I tried to compare Pascal's Wager to a sales technique and ended with a comparison between Google and our desire to please a higher power. Bonus points?

OICUAM2 might I suggest you read the book the 5,000 Year Leap. You will see that our democracy, its laws and desired morality was based on Judeo-Christian beliefs.

The problem with man made morality is that it is a moving target. Some may find that comforting. It scares me personally.

I struggle to understand how someone could believe there is an intelligent creator but he/she did not also create any standards or expectations.

As for your statement:

"I live a good, positive, legal, ethical life. If I discover upon my death that there is an after life with a judge standing at the gates, then I will be happy to present my resume."

I hope your resume is good enough too. But if your resume is based on your own standards or those of your neighbors you might be living in a current day Sodom and not realize it because everyone around you does what you do so it seems right.

That is why I believe there is a creator and the creator has expectations of us. Where you find those expectations is certainly your choice.

I can't read can I ???? Well I can but I am a SLOOWWW reader sorry Haiko I erased my beliefs....

Bonus points?
    10! Bravo!

Removed text that could be seen as a belief structure, sorry.
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; June 25th, 2009 at 10:39 AM.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

LOL! This thread is getting funny!

So many teachers. So few students.

Yes snowfinch because of the topic I believe, everyone is right or wrong, but to the OP I love your sig and I think that is all I can say

Hi Howard - As I said, I think all religious authority is far more human than divine.

While some ideas are timeless, I would rather follow modern thinking as opposed to a strict adherence to old thinking.

A woman may one day be President - as a result of human authority.

A woman may never become a priest - as a result of religious authority.

Hmmmm, I can't think of a business analogy here so I welcome someone to post one.

Wait! How about trying to make money online according to an eBook created in 1999?

there is no need to seek god - god is, always was, and always will be..
    so is it the bold sig or the plain type sig?

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread