I've been with Hostway for about year and, with the exception of some minor grievances, I've been happy with them. My site was always up and support was reasonable.

This week my site has been down:
    *For 25 consecutive hours on Mon & Tues
    *For one hour on Wed
    *For five consecutive hours on Thurs

Notably, my emails to a manager on Monday and Tuesday went unanswered until I threatened to take my business elsewhere.

My email to both support and the customer manager sent on Thursday have yet to be responded to.

I still have no idea what the problem is, whether it has been fixed, and what steps Hostway will take to ensure that I don't experience this level of downtime in the future.

Hostway sends out a monthly newsletter, so its not like they didn't have the ability to notify its customers of the problems and what steps they were taking to resolve it. Furthermore, the only way I even knew my site was down on Wed and Thursday was because I ran NetMechanic. Had I not done this, I would never have known there were problems.

Given the vast amount of hosting companies, there is absolutely no reason to put up with this complete lack of customer service, much less accept so much downtime.

I'm in the process of moving my site to a new host provider and my advice to anyone who is looking at Hostway for web hosting is: GO ELSEWHERE.

ABW Ambassador
    Try Rackshack at http://www.ev1servers.net/english/index.asp
    Great value!

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I have a few sites at hostway, no major complaints except pricing for add ons like urchin stats, but I'm movin on to a new host. Already moved most all my sites to httpme.com, great email supports and very good prices!

when I first started submitting to search engines I inadvertently signed up for a site monitor service that alerts me through email when the site isn't responding

it's called internet seer and seems to be pretty good at letting me know when my site is down.. I also signed up at easymonitor.com.. they check every 15 min while seer only 30 min I think.

internet seer as far as I can tell doesn't use up any bandwidth when checking(doesn't pull a page) while easymonitor does(downloads index every 15 min 24x7).. luckily my index is small and I'm nowhere near my bandwidth limit anyways.

My host has had downtime but email response is usually pretty good during such times.. I like the features and price.. although the worst downtime was 7 consecutive hours.. nothing that bad since.

For serious affiliates, with more than one site:
    http://kualo.com

Inexpensive, and geared for us

Fred

Are you sure the nurses know you're using the computer?

ABW Ambassador
    kualo.com is a JOKE~!

I'm getting 2,000 megabytes for under $8 per month.

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Entreprenuer is French for a person who cannot hold a job~!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Irma:
    Try Rackshack at http://www.ev1servers.net/english/index.asp
    Great value!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's who I use--I'm really impressed. Nice dedicated servers with plenty of bandwidth from about $100 per month. Or for those who don't need a dedicate server yet, they offer virtual servers from $10 per month.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread