Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Too Late To Learn New Tricks ? Banners & Links vs. Content w/ a BUY Button?
    I have had NO LUCK converting banners and links with the many merchants I have been testing for the last 2 months into Cash .....

100's of 1000's of impressions with no real cash to speak of...

I'm thinking out loud here ....

BUT ....

I'm thinking that building pages for these new merchants is the way to go.

Surround the product with content and BUY NOW links....

Splattering the site with banners just seems to turn people off.

I don't know why it has taken such an epiphany to realize this, but I guess that now is better than never.

THE EASY WAY OUT IS A FAIRY TALE. ---

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Banner blindness has been around for awhile. Even on a "shopping" site (or the shopping section of a site), banners are generally ignored, at least in my experience. I have had some success with smaller banners that I also add text underneath. Includes a title that's hyperlinked and some descriptive text.

Yes, product pages do best. LOL, no rest for the weary!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    Banner blindness has been around for awhile. Even on a "shopping" site (or the shopping section of a site), banners are generally ignored, at least in my experience. I have had some success with smaller banners that I also add text underneath. Includes a title that's hyperlinked and some descriptive text.

Yes, product pages do best. LOL, no rest for the weary!

Thanks Joy!!!

Guess I have some serious work to do ....

Just takes an effort and tons of time......

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Just takes an effort and tons of time......
    Jimmy, using Golden Can and PopShops makes it near effortless to make product pages. If you use their PHP options (which can be used even on HTML pages, you need to add a couple lines of code to an .htaccess file to parse PHP code on an HTML page), the product descriptions are indexable/crawlable by the search engines, so you'll receive SEO benefits. As you can pick and choose your own products with PopShops, you will have less issues with duplicate content pages on other sites. However, GC completely manages updating the feeds for you and you can create an entire store by copying/pasting code. You should add your own copy at the top/bottom or sides of the code to help duplicate content issues.

To use PHP with PopShops, there is a fee. Golden Can doesn't charge any fees upfront but on most merchants, GC gets the 4th click and possible commission. However, many merchants pay GC so all clicks are counted for the affiliate.

There are pros and cons to each, but both make it very easy to have product pages. Yes, it's more work but worth it, so drop your shoulders and smile!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Affiliate Manager FriendlyPlanetTravel's Avatar
    Shareasale also has a "build pages" utility which is pretty easy to use
    Clifford Mark
    Director of Marketing - [URL=http://www.friendlyplanettravel.com]Friendly Planet Travel Inc[/URL] | [email=cliff@friendlyplanet.com]email me[/email]
    [URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=18510]Join The FriendlyPlanetTravel.com Affiliate Program Now![/URL]

To paraphrase an old saying: 'Banners, banners everywhere and no cash coming in.'

However, the problem is not the banners per se, but how they are positioned on the pages. There is a top banner ... bad idea if it does not take you direct to the offer
    the page is touting ...

Box banners on the right, skyscrapers on the left, stuck in the middle with the text.

What do you usually click on? I ignore just about every banner and check out the
    text ads ... and so do most people. Why?

This page design is universal or close to it and people are conditioned to ignore everything
    but compelling text in the middle. So what do you do? Change the page design.

Put your compelling copy with links in a box across the page. A sort of sales message.

Below the box put two box banners side by side with intro text across on why people should click on them ... NOTE: If you use Adsense just put the block ads with no text. The Google idiots will think you are fishing for clicks.

Below the box banners ... put a text ad & link for your primary offer that you want people
    to buy. The same one with the text and content in your top box.

Then at the bottom of the page, put what I call an out links ... an Adsense
    leaderboard works well here ... you can also post a ONE LINE Text Link plus the leader
    board out banner ... People have to go somewhere from your page, might as well send
    them to someplace you make a commission or click thru or get your ad seen.

Keep the numbers of banners and non primary links to a minimum.

Do the math. ... A compelling sales message and links to your primary offer, plus 2 side by side 250x250 banners with text above on why people should click on them in a table and a text and leaderboard out banner ... That's 5 possible places for people to click. Add the back button which is an option and you have 6 places for people to go once they get to your page.

That means each place has a 16.6% chance of being clicked on if all the places to go were randomly clicked ... So the expected CTR for 1,000 visitors would be 166 per place
    to go. The BACK BUTTON ore Return To Home CTR is what you want to find out first.
    I call it the abandoned rate

If you track all the visitors and the clicks ... you just have to subtract the clicks from the visitors to get the ABANDONED rate. Once you know this number, the idea is to get it down to a very small percentage. Because the lower the abandoned rate, the higher your
    CTR to places that pay you - like your checkout page.

Where site design goes wrong is that people think it has to be done a certain way ... but really it has to be the equivalent or close to it, of a whole page or half page ad in a magazine or newspaper.

On every page but the check out page, you are fishing for the click thru - not a sale or
    lead. The idea is to get people to the checkout page with CC in hand ready to buy.

There are way too many links and distractions on merchants check out pages - each product should have it's own checkout page ... because the more options people have the harder it is for them to make a decision.

But you can't talk to all the 20 and 30 something kids who think they know everything, because they never listen ... Jay Abraham has documented testimonials from over 10,000 business that generated over $5.4 billion in sales and profits ... His seminars cost $5K if
    you get a discount ticket even more if you do not ... but most merchants are too stupid to pay the money or buy his book ... except Tony Robbins and such.

Plus, there are a few top level copywriters who have books that tell you all you need to know. But most business people are too cheap to buy the books and read them. But that is why they have libraries.

The reason people do not buy your stuff, is you do not give them a compelling reason to do so on your web page and your web page design does not lead the viewer to make a buying decision or a click that could or does pay you.

Even more important than page design, compelling copy and such, is finding products and services people WANT to buy ... and these things change all the time.

For example: Last fall and winter it was "The Twilight Saga" books, electric space heaters and women's scarves and shawls.

For this summer, the universe of people is still trying to make up their minds as to what they absolutely, positively have to have to be considered cool in their minds.

One other thing ... and this applies to merchants, affiliates ... it's not the advertising industries job to put cash in your pocket ... it's job is to get people to see your offers.

All REAL traffic to your website is good traffic ... the fact you can't monetize it is your
    problem ... if no one comes into your store, you are just going to be selling to Caspar
    the Ghost ... and he doesn't have any money.

Test, test, test....

Build a few product pages and send some traffic through. Keep making changes until you find a good formula. Understand that each market and product might be a little different. The smallest changes (such as an extra line break) can have huge impacts on conversion rates.

Once you find a design that works, build a few more product pages to see if it still works for different products.

If it still works, then get to work using the design on a large amount of product pages.

Find the winning design first, then apply it to lots of pages.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread