No Longer Banned!
    Lightbulb What Does The "NOFOLLOW" Pagination Feature Do In 'Preferences' ?
    Hi

What happens if I check the box here ?

I know the consequenses of no follow for SEO. So what's the skinny ??

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Basically it is adding nofollow to your pagination (next page, previous page) links. From the SEO standpoint having those links "followed" is pretty worthless anyhow. For example if you search for "next page" how many gazillion results are you going to get. It is like searching for "click here" - useless.

Follow for category and tag pages is fine - they are meaningful.

Does that help at all? Only on my first cup of coffee this a.m. so brain is only starting to make sense.

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by KeystrokesDesign
    Basically it is adding nofollow to your pagination (next page, previous page) links. From the SEO standpoint having those links "followed" is pretty worthless anyhow. For example if you search for "next page" how many gazillion results are you going to get. It is like searching for "click here" - useless.

Follow for category and tag pages is fine - they are meaningful.

Does that help at all? Only on my first cup of coffee this a.m. so brain is only starting to make sense.
    So if I check the NOFOLLOW check box, the se's will follow the first page I set up but not pages 2 through 5, correct ?

I think I understood that.

I want google SiteMaps to stop indexing my crappy off topic pages that are there. I just don't sell jewellery and flags. I have pagination so the other stuff I do sell shows up and auto updates. Lesser of two evils for now....

So if I got it right, this is exactly what I want, correct ?

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

What about using the "no index" Meta tag in the pages you don't want the search engines to index?

"You can use a special HTML <META> tag to tell robots not to index the content of a page, and/or not scan it for links to follow.
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>...</title>
    <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">
    </head>"

more:
    http://www.robotstxt.org/meta.html

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by joyaz
    What about using the "no index" Meta tag in the pages you don't want the search engines to index?

"You can use a special HTML <META> tag to tell robots not to index the content of a page, and/or not scan it for links to follow.
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>...</title>
    <META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW">
    </head>"

more:
    http://www.robotstxt.org/meta.html

Hmmm.... I hate to say NO to you here cuz I am unsure about this one.

My pages that I am trying to NOFOLLOW are auto-generated by software/ programme and so I have no access to the meta tags from the file system.

Unless there is a means to add no follow to the meta tags for each individual "auto-generated" page that obviously never heard of. - Is there ??

There in lies the caveat. I'd need to do that for more than 500 pages. {Google stopped counting at 500}. So am I better off to check the check box in Preferences instead ??

If I did, I'd wipe out 500 + pages with 118 keystrokes, I reckon.

BTW: The link you provided does not address the auto-generated page question. I am not sure how to edit this feature w/o the file system.... r u?

Please advise.

Steve

I wouldn't bother with nofollow and my reason for this is:

Matt Cutts Acknowledges SEO 2.0 Tactic of Linking Out as Ranking Factor (Nofollow is Dead)
    http://seo2.0.onreact.com/matt-cutts...follow-is-dead
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

No Longer Banned!
    Exclamation NOFOLLOW Is Dead ?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I wouldn't bother with nofollow and my reason for this is:

Matt Cutts Acknowledges SEO 2.0 Tactic of Linking Out as Ranking Factor (Nofollow is Dead)
    http://seo2.0.onreact.com/matt-cutts...follow-is-dead
    Rhia

That was a freakin' GREAT article !! Holy smokes.

Here is the deal.

I don't need to NOFOLLOW my main pages on my server, I just need to NOFOLLOW the automatically generated pages that come with the data feed I use.

I am mostly doing this to cut down on the 'data feed pollution' that gets created by the auto magically generated super deluxe steves apparel pages.

The pollution hurts SEO. {I don't sell hand bags tags or ear rings- My target audience is Male- 18 to 40 yoa.}... In the balance, NOFOLLOW on my 118 main pages will destroy my PR ASAP.

So, I just wanna NOFOLLOW my 500+ auto generated pages ONLY.

So here is the thing.

The Q about the AUTO GENERATED PAGES SEO AND AFFECTS is not addressed.

Please clarify how this will either help w/ my SEO {and get rid of pop shops pollution forever} or wipe my ass out entirely forever.

Am I doomed to being # 3.64 million in the rankings forever ??

Please advise.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; June 21st, 2009 at 06:14 PM. Reason: forgot puke avatar....

Steve, other than providing a link to an interesting article about NOFOLLOW that may or may not help you to decide whether or not to use it, I'm not sure what to say.

The fact that the article is a timely one on the topic of NOFOLLOW prompted me to post to this thread.

After reading the article I wouldn't worry about it but perhaps you should get other opinions before making a decision.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Steve, other than providing a link to an interesting article about NOFOLLOW that may or may not help you to decide whether or not to use it, I'm not sure what to say.
    Great link Riha7. I didn't care much for the article but it did lead me to Matt Cutts blog post of June 15, 2009 and that's a real nice read.

In the most recent post of SEOBLOG Think Relationships not Technology says:
    Using nofollow you hurt both your site and your commenters sites.

Think relationships not technology and no single tweak, small or big, from Google or any other site can hurt you. Stay connected to your peers throughout the many platforms and using all the upcoming tools and never forget what really counts.

Source:
    http://seo2.0.onreact.com/think-rela...not-technology
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

No Longer Banned!
    In the most recent post of SEOBLOG says:
    Rhia

I read the entire thing including the comments. Very good article.

I think I got the jist of it.

You think this applies equally to product sites too ? Seems to imply that in both links you provided. Correct ??

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    Rhia
    You think this applies equally to product sites too ? Seems to imply that in both links you provided. Correct ??

Steve
    That is my interpretation.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs up
    That is my interpretation.
    Rhia7

You have both a positive influence and a great help. Posts are well thought out.

Thanks !

Steve

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread