Question Images - Best Practises / DL or Hotlink?
    Greetings ...

Looking for information in regards to the best practise for images from data feeds, product pages, logos etc...

As an affiliate should I be proactively download and host the images up on my servers?

Is it better to just leave it on the merchants site / default links from network?

If hosting images on local server, will there be copyright issues?

Thanks for reading and any feedback provided!
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Well, if you're using merchant supplied links and datafeed links, you won't be using the images, they WILL be hosted on the merchant's server.

Guess as it applies to affiliate marketing I'm just not "getting it" with your question?
    Generate more fake news.

Question
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Well, if you're using merchant supplied links and datafeed links, you won't be using the images, they WILL be hosted on the merchant's server.

Guess as it applies to affiliate marketing I'm just not "getting it" with your question?
    My question is very clear ..

Would like to know the best practises for handling images...

Theres 2 options ---

Leave them on the Merchants server and Hotlink to them ..

or

Download the image off the merchants server and host them ur local server ...

~~~~~

Has there been discussion on image handling ? Image copyright issues? Is it flowned upon to download logos + product images off merchants servers?

Do Merchants not care that people hotlinking to images?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

My question is very clear ..
    Well, not really. But let me try to sort it out a bit with an answer - as I see it - to your question(s).

If you are using the merchant(s) datafeed(s) then the images will be hotlinked, as you put it, from the merchant's server. Otherwise you basically have to "scrape" the site to get the images and then upload them to a directory on your server. Some merchants likely don't mind, but others may. Your best bet is to discuss it with them IF you feel the need to host them on your server.

The other issue is with copyright of certain images. Some copyright holders (usually the merchant, but not always) may have contractual restrictions about which some AMs might not be aware.

My suggestion is to use the image links provided. Then if there is a copyright issue the merchant has the problem - and not you. However, don't hot-link to images unless you are an affiliate of that merchant with access to that datafeed and/or have permission from the merchant.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

http and a telephoto
    You will need to check with merchant's if you plan to download and self host their images. My merchants, and my own program, require you to hotlink so that if there are changes they are reflected on affiliate websites, or if there are infringement issues or a manufacturer for some reason requires images to be removed from a merchant site and affiliate sites, they can be pulled. More often it is for updated images, but occasionally a manufacturer can decide to not allow images for their lines to be displayed.

So the answer is to hotlink, if you choose not to hotlink, check the merchant TOS, and if there is no mention, email for clarification to be safe. Merchants expect you to hotlink and may not have thought to add it to their Terms. As Bill said, with licenced products there could very well be restrictions that the merchant needs to adhere too, and the affiliates would need to as well.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread