No Longer Banned!
    Exclamation Not All Pagination Pages Are Showing Up. Some have Disappeared...
    Hi Jessie and Angel

Today I decided to rebuild my shop called Caps. I did this because I read your post about using key words to avoid polluting the data feed with stuff I don't sell like hand bags and ear rings license tags etc.

When I started there were 5 pagination pages. After mashing the refresh button, I still had 5 pagination pages. {takes a while for your server to catch up ?}

Then I noticed there were only 2 pagination pages after I tested and VERIFIED all 5 {Yes I deliberately wrote 5 here} pagination pages.

So as a test, I simply deleted the #2 in the addy bar and tried the #5 [go] then tried the #3 [go] and wouldn't you know it, there are 3 pagination pages NOT showing up that are hidden somewhere from my customers view.

You can test this in FF3 @ my website then just change the 2 to either 3, 4, or 5.

BTW: pages 3, 4, and 5 show up in pages 3, 4, and 5 but NOT on pages 1 or 2.

This is obviously a bug.

Can u plz fix it and contact me here ??

Thanx !

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; June 21st, 2009 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Texas Spelling Spree.....
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

I'm curious .. do you have "broad" or "narrow" results checked in the preferences for that shop?

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by joyaz
    I'm curious .. do you have "broad" or "narrow" results checked in the preferences for that shop?
    Hey Joy

Preferences= Narrow > Pagination = NOFOLLOW

I have been getting good results like this. - 15 to 30 pages per shop this way. Almost completely pollution free. The keyword box jessie mentioned was a god send.

Try it.

Best

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

I have also seen this: pagination shows 5 pages, but when you click on #3, the rest disappear. However, if you click on 5, it will go to a 5th page.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Steve did Popshops get back to you on this?? I see the same thing.

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs down This Bug Is Really Bugging Me Jessie.....
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Steve did Popshops get back to you on this?? I see the same thing.
    kse

No. I have no idea why either. I have since found another shop that does this and I am sure that once the testing phase begins, I will find more.

I am really annoyed by this nasty bug.

I am debating what to do about it. Jessie should be handling this. Hmmmm....

Q: Is this worthy of a private contact ? I'd hate to waste the mojo. Or annoy them.

Maybe I should call the guy on his cell over it ??

On a scale from 1-10, what's the level of importance for this bug ? [feedback desired please] -I may not see it the same as everybody else.

Steve

Its PopShops Bug/Issue let them deal with it.

Hey Steve,

First off let me point out if you have an issue with your shops that you think is a bug, the fastest way to get someone looking at the issue is to put in a support ticket. I didn't see a ticket regarding this.

I took a look at your shop and what is going on.

First off your shop is set to 'Narrow' autofeed. This tries to increase the relevancy of products by applying any search keywords you used to the same merchants and categories as the products present in your shop.

In your case this is limiting it to three pages of products. This is correct for your specific shop.

By manually changing the page parameter in the url you are bypassing the pagination (which was built correctly for 'narrow' autofeed results). The autofeed detects you don't have any 'narrow' autofeed products for a page four, so it tries to pull in products just matching the keywords + merchants in your shop. Essentially this turns it into a 'broad' autofeed that is able to find more products, which may not be as relevant since it is no longer taking any categories into account. The broad search results are what then cause additional pages to appear in the pagination.

If you want the additional pages to show up as part of the pagination correctly just switch your shop to 'Broad' autofeed. The difference between narrow and broad autofeed can vary greatly depending on the merchants involved, which is why they are offered as different settings. It just depends on what works with the specific shop.

There is nothing "hidden" from your customers view except products you told the system not to show.

Great explanation, Dan. Thanks! That helps me better understand "narrow" vs. "broad."

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Hooray for that explanation, indeed. I've never really understood when or whether to use "broad" or "narrow" on the autofeed choice.

Is this explained anywhere in an faq or tutorial or anything at popshops? I may very well have missed it. But, hey, thanks for that explanation!
    Generate more fake news.

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs up
    Quote Originally Posted by danharms

If you want the additional pages to show up as part of the pagination correctly just switch your shop to 'Broad' autofeed. The difference between narrow and broad autofeed can vary greatly depending on the merchants involved, which is why they are offered as different settings. It just depends on what works with the specific shop.

There is nothing "hidden" from your customers view except products you told the system not to show.
    Dan

I agree w/ gary that this a very good explanation. I like it a lot.

How ever if you study EVERY page in the shop there are in fact all the products I DO sell. There are no longer any hand bags or license plates or earrings and beer bottle insulators in the feed.

This is due to it being set to "NARROW". "BROAD" will only add the polution back to the feed.

Soooo, I propose the following:

1: not all shops are doing this, and I have them ALL set the same.

2: Your explanation while rather excellent, does not take into account [A:] the fact that broad will add the pollution to the feed again, [B:] that the feeds are all set the same and not all are like this, or [C:] that the products on the "hidden" pages are all containing the targeted/ core products I do sell.

I am forced to therefore conclude that this is a Bug.

No I did not do a support tix. I never thought of that. I just wondered why jessie has not read this yet.

kse:

let Them deal w/ it
    I was not in my office today so I had no chance to address the issue. However, I did in fact mean that I can call the popshops head guy on his cell.

I wanted to know how important the bug was before I did that.

No matter. I'll send an email at 2am. [about 15 mins from now]

thanks for helping !

Steve

How ever if you study EVERY page in the shop there are in fact all the products I DO sell. There are no longer any hand bags or license plates or earrings and beer bottle insulators in the feed. This is due to it being set to "NARROW". "BROAD" will only add the polution back to the feed.
    In this case it isn't because of the 'narrow' or 'broad'. I think the hand bags, license plates, and earrings being removed is more a result of the keywords you used to create the shop. Those keywords are being applied in both 'narrow' or 'broad'. The 'missing' products are just not appearing because they are categorized within the merchant's datafeed differently, which 'narrow' takes into account.

1: not all shops are doing this, and I have them ALL set the same.
    Having the same setting on all shops does not mean that the autofeed results will appear to behave identically. Each shop has a different combination of merchants, keywords, and products (with their accompanying categories). This different combination of factors will cause different product results for any given shop. When using 'broad' vs. 'narrow' it is really more of a judgement call on a shop by shop basis.

[A:] the fact that broad will add the pollution to the feed again
    'Broad' can add pollution in the case of merchants who have a wide range of products that all match keywords used. This isn't true in every case. If you are using niche merchants then 'Broad' can bring in great products. Or the specific keywords you are using can result in good results under 'broad' as well.

[B:] that the feeds are all set the same and not all are like this,
    I think this was already your first point, but again having the same settings on different shops does not result in identical autofeeds because of the different merchants/keywords/products in the shops.

[C:] or that the products on the "hidden" pages are all containing the targeted/ core products I do sell.
    This is a perfect example where the 'broad' product results are great. The merchants you are using in this particular shop bring back highly relevant results when only using the merchants and keywords to find similar products. Switch this specific shop to 'broad' and you should be good to go. This doesn't mean you should switch all of your shops to 'broad' because you might get better results using 'narrow' on a different shop.

I wish we could have negative word(s) option which would help

You can use negative keywords. See this faq for more details or the sticky thread in this forum:

http://popshops.com/faq/AutoFeed
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

Quote Originally Posted by JessieJ
    You can use negative keywords. See this faq for more details or the sticky thread in this forum:

http://popshops.com/faq/AutoFeed
    Jessie while products that fall within the negative keywords are excluded from selection they are still included in the autofeed.

Using one of the examples in the FAQ, which has actually been a real life problem for the past 2 Valentine's days, here are the results that I receive using the following negative keywords:

Red Roses -sympathy -casket -spray -cross

Returns these results in autofeed:

AM I missing something? I have tried every combination of searches and negative searches that I can think of to eliminate the unwanted products and nothing seems to work.

-rematt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Hey rematt,

If you put in a support ticket with the shop id, and the url to where the shop is, then we can take a look at what is specifically going on. There are a lot of variables involved so looking at your specific shop is the only way to figure out what is going on.

Dan I'd be more than happy to do that, in fact I'll send you the shop ID that I just created for this example, however that really isn't the issue. The real issue is that the use of negative keywords isn't useful if we can only exclude them from the first pages of our shops. I have the same issue if I'm trying to exclude women's products from a men's shop or blue widgets from an orange widgets shop. I understand that this is probably due to the way that merchants list their keywords (or not), but perhaps the ability to apply negative keywords to the autofeed itself may help or a way to manually remove products from the autofeed.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Hey rematt,

The negative keywords should be applied to your autofeed as well. If I can get the exact shop you setup I can determine why they are not being applied.

Support ticket opened.

-rematt

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs down I am Using The Same Key Words For The Same 4 Merchants...
    Dan Harms

I feel every thing you are saying to me dan. I really do.

However, I am using the same keywords {@ jerseys, caps, Shirts, Jackets, polos - in that order } for the same four merchants and the only variable now is the team name on the newly rebuilt shops.

Yet the resulting # of pages is not only very different but the pages are hidden.

Also, the keywords are applied in broad to all merchants as opposed to the specific merchants and that scares me a little.

I think that you are doing your level best, but I simply feel that I have too many same same things to get this result. I guess that I feel your efforts fails to take into account these things. Therefore I still feel this is a bug.

I can't wait to get a custom feed. This is very upsetting to me. I think that Enterprise should allow me to adjust the pagination pages in a few ways too. partly to help negate some of this stuff.

Oh well Dan. Perhaps I am too tiny and poor to get you to just say yes and fix the thing. Or to get you to agree w/ me either.

thanks anyway.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by danharms
    Hey rematt,

The negative keywords should be applied to your autofeed as well. If I can get the exact shop you setup I can determine why they are not being applied.
    I did not know that. I've had a similar problem since I first started using autofeed. I'll open a ticket this afternoon to a specific shop, but I've been controlling the situation mostly be leaving off merchants whose feeds cause the leakage.

Will one ticket do? Surely you don't want 500+ support tickets, one for each shop
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

One ticket will certainly do, we just need an example with the ID or name of the shop and what negative word you used, and also how you used it. (For instance did you use just the search box or did you use the advanced search).
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

Support request sent, Jessie. Thank you and Dan and crew for the assistance and nearly infinite patience!
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

I barely pushed the send button and answers started arriving from PopShops in my email in-box...

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread