Unique Buyer Id's Possible?
    Hello,

I am interested in making a site where users will register and purchase products available from PopShops. The commission returned from PopShops will then be donated to a charity of their choice.

My question is what type of plan do I need to be able to pass along a unique member identifier and have it returned in my records when something is purchased to be able to identify which commissions go to which charities.

Please let me know if anything is unclear or if this is even possible with PopShops. If not, could you please refer me to a service that can do this.

Thank You

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by jroberts1
    The commission returned from PopShops will then be donated to a charity of their choice.
    PopShops doesn't handle commissions.

There are two "layers" here -- first, each affiliate network may have a parameter to encode a unique ID (for example, ShareASale has the "afftrack=" parameter); second, PopShops would need to propegate the tag into each link. Presumably, the affiliate would pass the parameter value to PopShops, which would "plug it in" with the appropriate parameter name for each network into each link URL.

I don't know if this is a capability that PopShops offers -- hopefully they can answer this. I don't think all networks support such a feature, so you might not be able to work with some networks if you need this capability. And some networks allow only a very short parameter value, which might not be adequate for your needs.

FYI, if you do operate a site that promises charitable donations based on affiliate earnings, you are going to be classified as an "incentive" site by some networks and merchants, and some merchants will exclude your web site from participation. In addition, you are going to be in some very bad company -- there is a long, sad history of companies making these promises and then defaulting.

I also hope you've considered how difficult it can be to get workable data flow from third-party merchants and affiliate networks to your own database, and to reconcile that data with actual payment data.

They do not currently offer this functionality. I have been asking for it for a while so I can better track where my sales are coming from. The best you can get is that you can statically assign a tracking value for each shop in the shopbuilder, but as far as I know you can't do it programmatically.

If someone knows different, please let me know. I'd really like to start passing tracking data to my shops.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Thank you all for your help.

I may have to look elsewhere for this functionality.

If you are technical or have a developer that is working with you, you can create dynamic sub-IDs, which is what loyalty providers us to track their customers, with Data Pack - the PS API solution. You simply pass in the "url_subid" parameter when you make an XML call.
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

Jessie,

Thank you for your help. I've emailed support.

Why not just change the Tracking with Sub-Account ID value that defaults to PopShops? I don't recall at what membership level that becomes available, but I use that field, under Preferences (last tab) to set a shop's unique identifier. My sales reports from CJ show that identifier as the source of a sale.
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

It's entirely possible that I misunderstood the query - sorry. Sub-Account ID works great for me but I don't want or need to track an individual person's purchases.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread