ABW Ambassador
    Do any of you guys use subdomains? I don't want to spam with them. I just have a site that deals with a certain product, say super widget. I have directories under that for super gadget and super gizmo. I know these could be split into different domains altogether, but for this particular line of products I'm not quite ready to dive in that much without testing the waters.

The reason I ask is because I've noticed that google likes to craw index pages frequently yet leaves the internal stuff for later. Would separate subdomains for the internal pages bring google bot around more frequently for those subdomains.

Does it treat them like a different site altogether?

Anyone trying this currently?

Thanks for enduring my questions. My brain is going 100 miles an hour in 17 different directions over all of this.

I personally have noticed no diference... I do both...

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

yes and no

excessive crosslinking across *seperate* sites is bad(such as each sub having a link to the others due to common menu)

google treats subs as seperate sites (www.domain.com can be different from domain.com, most hosts map www automatically though)

see part about excessive crosslinking

your brain will slow down and despair will set in once you're done building and start waiting for traffic... once the traffic starts you will have to endure the roller coaster ride the SE's (read: google) provide

I haven't reached the level where I worry about tons of reversals yet

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> once the traffic starts you will have to endure the roller coaster ride <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

but that's still part of the fun. as is spending the results . . .

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

ABW Ambassador
    I am fine with them being separate sites, that is actually what I want. If I can't really link them together much I don't mind. They would each be able to function on their own. The goal is seeing if I can get them ranked without buying additional domains in this area.

Do merchants have problems with subdomains as long as I own the domain? The products will come from the same merchant.

if they can stand on their own that's fine, the problem arises when you decide to use a common menu system that is included on each page for convenience.

say you have 50 pages per sub and every single page on that sub points to your other subs and those subs do the same thing.. then you're potentially asking for trouble because of the excessive crosslinking.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread