DOCTYPE and CSS
    I am in the middle of retooling an ASP based website. The site is very old and everything was hand coded. (no css) So as I am going through I noticed that the .shtml and .html had no problems with classes and CSS. But when I was coding the .asp pages not all the css attributes would be interpreted correctly. For example a boarded on a cell for a table. When I had a defied DOCTYPE the boarder would not appear. When I deleted the DOCTYPE the boarder would appear just as it is defined in the style sheet. So I guess my question is what is the difference between DOCTYPE for static html pages VS. DOCTYPE for .asp pages. TIA
    Thanks,
    Doug

Wow, no one has come across this issue?
    Thanks,
    Doug

Take a look at the generated HTML -- that is, use the "view source" option while viewing the web page from a web browser.

The fact that the page is .asp or .php or .cfm or anything else should be irrelevant after it's left the web server. By looking at the fully processed version of the page, you may be able to identify the specific problem that's causing the display variation. (For me, it's usually an issue of a missing space character, a missing semicolon, or some other special character whose absence isn't clear if it's mingled with PHP code snippets.)

Of course, reading the plain HTML may be a challenge, if the PHP/ASP source code wasn't written with the goal of having the HTML code be human-readable after processing (indeed, I often find that bizarre problems in my pages disappear when I edit the source to make the generated page more humanly readable during debugging).

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread