Internet Tax Flyer for NC Affiliates
    Folks:

I created this flyer which explains the Internet tax issue. I've started calling it the Internet tax because people don't understand the word affiliate. When I say "Internet tax" it gets more attention.

Tell me what you think of the flyer. I'm going to post it on bulletin boards in nearby apartment communities - several of them have places where you can post advertisements and flyers.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I commend you on the idea and the willingness to be pro-active in getting the word out. But of course it would have been better to have happened several months ago when it was still only in discussion.

As for the flyer, The premise is flawed as, even if the person doesn't pay a sales tax, they are most likely supposed to pay a use tax for the purchase.

But still I think it's a good idea, unfortunately it misses on a point of why would anyone who reads it care? There's an old acronym, WIITFM. "What's In It For Me", instead of showing that Amazon would end their relationships and cost someone else their business / income. Use a 'fake company'* as an example of one that may not end the relationship but instead charge a sales tax on items that may not be taxable in your jurisdiction. Before the law, you shop online tax free for widgets(as you've got), after the law you must pay tax on your widget purchase. That message hits home with people. It affects their bank account.

*I suggest a fake company not to try to deceive anyone but to avoid any possible trademark or copyright issues.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Thanks for the input.

I'll draft one which explains the issue from a consumer perspective.

Internet Tax Flyer for Consumers
    Here's one that should hopefully help consumers understand the internet tax issue - from their standpoint.

Visually much better and easier to read but the use of the identifier of DiscountKidsBooks.com convolutes the issue --- "I don't shop there so it doesn't apply to me". Say XYZ site, people can associate XYZ as an example while DiscountKidsBooks.com which could be mistaken for a real site.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Actually, in looking at the flyer again I just realized that the statement "she clicks on a link which takes her to another site" isn't important to consumers. The point is that the consumer will be taxed for online purchases. Period. Yes, it's somewhat of an oversimplification but that's okay. It makes the point.

I've attached the revised version.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!
    Last edited by crlharris; June 25th, 2009 at 07:31 AM.

Better, more concise and to the point. I've only got a couple of tweaks.

I'd change the wording "website on childrens books" to "website selling childrens books". Also in the second part change "all online purchases" to "many online purchases" or some variation of that, unless the NC law has no exemptions to the sales tax. You don't want to give proponents ammunition to say the flyers are wrong or misleading.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Better, more concise and to the point. I've only got a couple of tweaks.

I'd change the wording "website on childrens books" to "website selling childrens books". Also in the second part change "all online purchases" to "many online purchases" or some variation of that, unless the NC law has no exemptions to the sales tax. You don't want to give proponents ammunition to say the flyers are wrong or misleading.
    Ditto. The revised flyer looks awesome. When it is finished, can you send me the PDF via email in case I miss it here? I want to post it on our site. Thanks!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Revised Internet Flyer (with Knight01's changes)
    Here's the latest flyer with Knight01's updates.

Matt, I'll email it to you.

With these tax laws I am confused, and I am here because I need a question. I live in a sales tax state, and on some internet sites i do pay for it and some don't and it really doesn't bug me to pay taxes. I may be getting the tax thingy all wrong, but doesn't it mean when the tax issue arises in your state that your job is on the line, and with that said does NC need more unemployed people. Because the moment this thing hits my state I will be in the capital speaking and lobbying, and i said when because it will and I have actually already prepared a small speach and will rally alone or with supporters.

Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    ... Because the moment this thing hits my state I will be in the capital speaking and lobbying, ..
    Is there a reason you're waiting until then? Ask the folks in NC who didn't get involved until a vote was set how things are going for them. If you want to direct how things go, you have to get a head start before there is any possible legislation. Setup appointments with your representatives today.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by crlharris
    Here's the latest flyer with Knight01's updates.

Matt, I'll email it to you.
    AWESOME! I will try my best to get it up today on our site. Thanks a ton!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Is there a reason you're waiting until then? Ask the folks in NC who didn't get involved until a vote was set how things are going for them. If you want to direct how things go, you have to get a head start before there is any possible legislation. Setup appointments with your representatives today.
    Amen!

That is so well put knight. I just tweeted this actually...as best I could with 140 characters http://twitter.com/LegacyAffiliate/statuses/2345956075
    Matt McWilliams

Just posted it to our site and blogged about it.

http://www.legacyaffiliateblog.com/a...-affiliate-tax
    Matt McWilliams

There's an old acronym, WIITFM. "What's In It For Me", instead of showing that Amazon would end their relationships and cost someone else their business / income.
    Actually there is a very important "WIIFM" for North Carolina citizens:

Because people outside of N.C. make purchases through affiliate links, N.C. businesses and individuals who receive commissions as a result of these sales are bringing OUT-Of-STATE dollars INTO N.C.'s ECONOMY. This is a good thing for everyone in our state.

Retailers who cancel their relationships with N.C. affiliates will not be paying commissions to N.C. businesses and individuals. Therefore, those out-of-state dollars that were coming into N.C. go elsewhere.

Retailers who decide not to drop their N.C. affiliates will have to find a way to offset the cost of administering this tax collection and they may find the most convenient way to do that is to reduce affiliate commissions. This will result in a reduction of out-of-state dollars making their way into the N.C. economy.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread