Can a publisher block in-state traffic and rebut nexus?
    Hi,

First of all, thanks to Melanie for the excellent conference call today. I was on the road, listening on my cell, but when I got home, I started to research rebutting nexus. I'm still a bit fuzzy on the concept.

Can anyone help with these questions?

1. Can a publisher (as opposed to a merchant) rebut nexus?

2. Would doing so require me to block in-state traffic to my site, and is that even possible?

The answer to your first question is the easy one.
    Only merchants can rebut the presumption of nexus. Only a merchant has nexus ("physical presence"). Affiliates can create, or contiribute to creating a nexus, but they can't rebut it, it's not their's to rebut.

Number 2 is a bit harder, most likely this will have to be presented to a NC sales and use tax attorney.

Remember, only a NC Sales and Use tax attorney that you retain can give you advice. We can only give information and suggestions to point in the right direction.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Well, even if I could technically pull off number two, I doubt that I'm big enough game for Amazon to let me stay in the system. Thanks though!

I posted a response on the issue of a web publisher blocking or throttling in-state traffic, in this discussion thread (post #8)

This is possible through ip lookup and then re-direct based on results, however the reliability is always subject to concern as it's not always accurate.

Also, would a merchant want to accept the risk and costs involved in monitoring an affiliate setup of this type? Probably not.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Question
    Wouldnt Networks be able to provide this service?

If a user clicks on a affiliate link to a merchant who has a nexus issue .. couldnt the network just redirect it to a different page or some info screen?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

Quote Originally Posted by Magi
    Wouldnt Networks be able to provide this service?

If a user clicks on a affiliate link to a merchant who has a nexus issue .. couldnt the network just redirect it to a different page or some info screen?
    From a technical standpoint, Networks can easily do it, if they want. They and merchants will need to run it by their legal. I do not know if nexus is removed simply because there is no commission paid because the sale generated by the affiliate still exists. It will be necessary to retain a sales and use tax attorney in each state to examine this proposal. We can not give advice/opinion on this. Every state will /may have a different interpretation of the law. What works in one state may not work in another.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread