I first started playing with affiliate links way back in 1999 but only got serious about 18 months ago.

What I find bizzare is that my best performing site is still the free webspace provided by my ISP on which I put a subsite the selling posters about 3 years ago, almost by accident as I wanted to pad out a content based site.

I don't why. I have got a purpose built poster site up and running last August but whilst not doing badly it is an also run when compared with the original.

So what is going on ?

My thoughts are ...

1. Does Google give a bit of a boost to pages that have been around a long time and that get updated from time to time.

2. People bookmark the site they first find from the search engine results rather than the one they actually buy from.

3. My original domain name is of the format
    www.mysite.myispdomain.co.uk
    and myispdomain.co.uk does host a large number of good quality sites setup by other isp customers so does Google give me a sort of "halo effect" from the other rich content sites at myispdomain.co.uk

Or is there something really obvious I have missed.

Les

ABW Ambassador
    My answer is: There is no answer.

carneol

You probably put more thought and creativity into the original. It is probably more unique. That sometimes happens.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by websmith:
    1. Does Google give a bit of a boost to pages that have been around a long time and that get updated from time to time.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes updating helps. No bonus for being around a long time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>2. People bookmark the site they first find from the search engine results rather than the one they actually buy from.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>That's what you want. Cut out the middle man, be it Google, Yahoo or whoever.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>3. My original domain name is of the format
    http://www.mysite.myispdomain.co.uk
    and myispdomain.co.uk does host a large number of good quality sites setup by other isp customers so does Google give me a sort of "halo effect" from the other rich content sites at myispdomain.co.uk<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No. Check who is linking to your site and where's your traffic coming from.

------------------------------
    "If all the newbies are going to start writing ebooks maybe I should get started on mine!" -- Buddha

well, if a search engine was already frequently visiting a server, couldn't it browse around to your site as well?

and

if you're getting the hits and business, why not spend a little more time on that site?

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    You probably put more thought and creativity into the original. It is probably more unique. That sometimes happens.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the reverse is true, as the original grew a bit like topsy.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Look at the logs of both sites. (The raw dataw) and you'll find out what is happening.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar
    Cow themed gifts and collectibles

MOO.

You probably just have a lot more external links to the older site. Back in 1999, it was common for people to link to other sites. Now, people are more restrictive about who they link to.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread