Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Recommendations For Moving?
    Will be moving shortly and usually I just rent a Uhaul and do it myself, still leaning that way but checking out other ways also. So am looking for recommendations. Any good moving companies you've used? Anybody try stuff like Pods - http://www.pods.com/home.aspx

Where they drop off a container, you load it up, they then pick it up and deliver it where you want. If it was local I would just use Uhaul but this is an out of state move. Thanks in advance.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Are you paying or are other people paying for the move?

I have seen quite a few of those trucks but never worked with them http://www.allied.com/

You can also get a uHaul and stuff the truck yourself. I had a friend who moved from NV to FL in a uHaul and I am sure Loxly can give a few suggestions or 2 as she moved from East to West and back East..

ABW Ambassador
    "You can also get a uHaul and stuff the truck yourself."

Yep, that's what I've done in the past. I'm paying for the move. Just wanted to check out other options, see how other people do it, get recommendations on companies etc.

Last time I used Uhaul I had my car hooked up on a trailer in the back, don't want to do that again. So this time if I use Uhaul, I would drive down, pick up the Uhaul, drive back up, load up, drive back down. So not sure if I want to do that. I've heard about the pod stuff and there are other companies that do that, just wondering if anybody has actually tried that method?

TRUST!!!

As for pods, it's actually a very good choice for a number of reasons. They drop the 'pod' or storage unit off at your place and you load it. If it takes you a day or a week, you don't feel pressured to have everything packed in a day. Same on the other end, they drop it off and you unload at your convenience. Of course you're paying for the luxury but to me it's worth the convenience.
    Last edited by knight01; June 25th, 2009 at 05:20 PM.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Pods are great. You can move at your own pace. The pods are locked and watertight. No need to live out of boxes for a week before you move.
    Uhaul is the best solution if you are going far since you can return the trucks to any location.
    Apart from this, there really isn't any other solution besides a bunch of friends with pickups.

I have tried all three and liked PODS the best.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    I'll second the "Pods" recommendation, I used a company similar in concept and really loved having the flexibility to pack it up myself, but then not have to worry about actually moving it.

I've also used Yellow for moving both personally and have shipped a gazillion things using them for trade shows - very good and reliable as a freight company.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I used PackRat ...

Was a little cheaper and closer to me here in Katy, Texas..

1800PackRat.com I think...

Worked out great...

Got to take my time loading it.

Stuffed all of the corners..

Was amazed at how much stuff would fit in there.

Then I rented a trailer to move my big items. Pool tables, big couches, fridge etc.

Saved me over $2000 vs. Allied Van Lines across the state.

Good Luck with the move.

I HATE MOVING.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Have you heard of uship.com? I haven't used them but I've heard good things. Basically you describe the size of your place and what you want moved from where to where, and movers submit bids. They have ebay-like feedback so you don't get scammed.

I tested it a couple years ago and the prices actually seemed pretty cheap since you get these guys competing for your business. Ultimately did not use though as my company ended up paying for the relocation.
    Your Ad Here.

Good to see you Trusty!!!!

I have never used Pods but love the flexibility - Genius idea.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    I used Penske for my cross country move. Pods were more than I wanted to spend. I won't ever trust a moving company again from my own experience and from other folks also.

You can get movers to pack your own truck and unpack it at the other end.

And great to see you again!!!! We've been worried.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The pods seem like a great idea, but make sure there aren't going to be issues on one end or the other (is there a space where it's legal to put the pod? will your new neighbors start off with a bad impression of you because the pod sits there for 3 days after you've unloaded it?)

I used to use UHaul about once a year, but their rates and time limits have become absurd. For the past 5 years I've always used Penske; I get a bigger truck for less money, and more time for the budget.

I've never done an interstate move (as an adult). But my dad moved from MA to TN (back in 1979) and his solution was pretty smart: he bought a van in Massachusetts, used it for the move, and then after he was settled into the new home, he sold it. This way, he had the van to go pick up stuff he hadn't moved (furniture, etc.) and to haul trash.

Whatever you do, make sure you have a clear contract and understanding of the insurance rules: who's responsible for damage to the truck (or pod) and who's responsible for loss or damage to your stuff?

With rental cars, I've twice been charged incredible "repair" costs for window cracks which were probably present when I picked the cars up, but which I didn't look for and thus didn't document on the forms. (I learned that one company just kept re-renting the same car with the same hard-to-notice window crack, and charged multiple customers for the "repair.")

With a moving company, remember that every move has "two ends and a middle," and sometimes the "middle" means offloading all your stuff in & out of a warehouse or to another truck. My employer chose & paid for the moves for my NH-to-CA move (in 1985), and some of the furniture arrived in pieces that couldn't be re-assembled or repaired, and a TV was destroyed.

Also beware of "over-packaging" charges -- some moving firms quote a lowball price, but then use hundreds of boxes and miles of bubble wrap (charged at absurd rates), so that the final cost is 2-3 times the estimate.

Finally, a move is a good time to "let go" of stuff that isn't worth the cost of moving, nor the space it will take up at the new place. Each time I've moved, I've had yard sales (more recently, lots of Craigslist postings) to unload stuff that would have cost more to move than it was worth, along with stuff that hadn't seen daylight in years.

If you have framed artwork, consider removing the art and rolling it and packing it separately from the frame -- I've lost a couple of nice pieces (fortunately not valuable, and easily replaced) when the frame-glass broke and scratched or cut the artwork.
    Last edited by markwelch; June 25th, 2009 at 07:02 PM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I concur that UHaul's rates and restrictions are outrageous.

I've moved loads of stuff for others from SoCal to NoCal and NoCal to SoCal in the past and used either Penske or Budget (Budget Rent-a-Car truck div) - who I rate No. 1 overall.

In years past, I had lots of dealings with regular moving companies, and BY FAR the best and cheapest was Mayflower. Back decades ago in my early days practicing law, I once defended a guy who was being sued by North American Van Lines for delivery charges, despite the fact that they NEVER delivered his property, and he never saw it again after they picked it up.

Glad to see you back here, Trust.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

If you move to Florida, there is no State Income Tax here.

But the State Legislature is considering some sort of movement on Internet Sales Taxation...

ABW Ambassador
    All others have cover the options very well. I don't have much to say about moving. Just want to drop a note to let you know that we/I miss you very much, Trust. Glad you are back !

BTW, I've heard that Pods won't provide services to apts with limited parking spaces. They need enough spaces for their truck to load the Pod when it's ready to pick up. Plus, apts won't allow a Pod sit on their parking lot for a few days. If you are living in an apartment now, Pods probably won't be your option. You might want to check with Pods and Apts first.

Other than that, have a safe moving trip!

when I was a young man I would move myself..
    a wife and kids and whole bunch of stuff later I call allied movers

Good luck with your move and whatever you do have fun doing it!

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the replies. Will probably be gone for a few more months then back into the normal swing of things. Moving and some other things.

"Plus, apts won't allow a Pod sit on their parking lot for a few days."

Very true. I was talking to my apt. manager and they were very insistent that it's only out there for a day. She had went the pod route herself and had a good experience. My complex actually has like twice as many parking spaces than cars, so that wouldn't be an issue but still they said only one day. And I like the idea of the pods and have heard some good things about them but.........

"Pods were more than I wanted to spend."

Yeah. Got a quote and it was a little over $2000 for the pod for a 700 mile trip. Checking Uhaul, Penske, Budget to rent a truck and they're basically in the neighborhood of $20 a day plus .55 cents a mile. And my overall trip would be about 1400 miles so that would be about $770 plus 20 a day plus gas, so probably about half the cost of a pod. So looks like will do it the way I've always done it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Will probably be gone for a few more months then back into the normal swing of things. Moving and some other things.
    Dude, gotta find a way to do it in two months. Fantasy Football waits for no affiliate.

1,400 miles, wow, safe travels and keep in touch so mayfly won't worry so much...
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    So looks like will do it the way I've always done it.
    After 20,000 plus posts here, I imagine you know as well as anyone that there's just no easy way out if you don't have a money tree to pick from....

Good luck bro ..

Better you than me -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    1,400 miles, wow, safe travels and keep in touch so mayfly won't worry so much...

I'm sure there are many more ABWers out there worrying about Trust all these time. Purplebear, Mr. Sal, knight...

It's a mix feeling day. MJ gone, Trust back.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, maybe a couple of months. Have to be back to start the Football Pool here

It would be only 700 miles if I was ok with putting my car on a trailer behind one of those trucks. I did that on the way up to where I live now, just don't want to do it again. Had a couple of close calls. Have some mountains to drive thru and Atlanta which is a pain. So overall I'm actually going to do 2100 miles of driving.

Driving my car down 700 miles. Leave car at new place, pick up truck.
    Drive truck back up another 700 miles, load up, then
    Drive back down another 700.

I don't know, reading that, it seems kinda crazy to do it that way. Maybe fly somebody up and let them drive my car down. But I have trust issues with other people driving my car Don't know.

ABW Ambassador

I don't know, reading that, it seems kinda crazy to do it that way. Maybe fly somebody up and let them drive my car down. But I have trust issues with other people driving my car Don't know.
    It IS crazy to do it that way.

Why don't you sell your car? Wouldn't it be better just to buy a new car when you get to the new place? Maybe a rental car for a few days...

ABW Ambassador
    I love my car, just bought a new one last summer. If it was the car before that, that might have actully worked since I gave up on that one.

Probably best to drive your car and use mass transit to get back. Bus is cheap, but you might get lucky with a cheap flight. Either way it'd be cheaper than renting a truck to go back.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

It would be only 700 miles if I was ok with putting my car on a trailer behind one of those trucks. I did that on the way up to where I live now, just don't want to do it again. Had a couple of close calls. Have some mountains to drive thru and Atlanta which is a pain. So overall I'm actually going to do 2100 miles of driving.

How about Amtrak?

Auto Train

The Auto Train takes you and your car (or your van, motorcycle, SUV, small boat, jet-ski, or other recreational vehicle) nonstop from the Washington, DC area to sunny Florida... http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/Conten...21200&ssid=136

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    You can get movers to pack your own truck and unpack it at the other end.
    That's what I did several moves ago when I had more "stuff" and it worked out great. I rented my own truck then had 2 guys show up at each end to help pack/unpack. They were from a licensed/insured company (I checked the company credentials, not faked info).
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast