Datafeedr
    Hi,
    Has anyone heard of or used Datafeedr which allows you to create websites utilizing merchant datafeeds?

The cost to an affiliate for one website per month is $27. A number of merchants have sent me emails announcing that they are now on datafeedr.

I use Goldencan which is free for affiliates.

I was wondering what you think about Datafeedr. How does it compare to goldencan.com and why aren't merchants utilizing Goldencan.com?

For around the same price I can use Popshops for unlimited sites.

I have looked at it but too pricey for limited sites.

I tried to re-visit the datafeedr site today, but it is simply not clear about how things work, and you can't do anything at all without handing over your credit card. I thought I'd sent a pre-sales support request back in June, but I can't find any reply, so I've re-submitted a "pre-sales support" question via their online form.

http and a telephoto
    As a merchant I haven't looked at them because I think their pricing is too steep for my affiliate base. Those that would spend that much can probably get a coder, since most affiliates have more than one site. I know that for me, a per site license wouldn't have even been considered.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I have used them for a few months on one of my Wordpress blogs. Their plugin is very easy to install and their store building factory takes just seconds to build and upload to your site.

I tried them out after a couple years of frustration building datafeeds with Webmerge and the hours it took to clean up most feeds before being able to run them. With DR it takes about 2 minutes to get an updated feed and to upload to the store. To me the monthly fee is well worth the cost, I can't compare with other services since I have never looked into them. If you have a ton of sites I believe they have an unlimited membership for just under $100.

Support is almost instantaneous on their forum, the two guys that operate DR are always posting and helping out with problems, including on-site reviews when necessary.

Our merchant site is listed there but we do not have any contact with them as a merchant. Affiliates request the merchants they want listed and DR just applies to the programs and pull their datafeeds from the networt feeds. No cost to the merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I tried to re-visit the datafeedr site today, but it is simply not clear about how things work, and you can't do anything at all without handing over your credit card. I thought I'd sent a pre-sales support request back in June, but I can't find any reply, so I've re-submitted a "pre-sales support" question via their online form.
    Stefan here from datafeedr.com. Not sure why you did not receive a reply on your first message in June. Normally we answer any questions within 24 hrs and in most cases within a few hours. Just replied on the message you just sent in. If you have any further questions don't hesitate to let us know.

It's too expensive ($324/yr for one shop), especially when you have cheaper tools like PopShops and GoldenCan available.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    It's too expensive ($324/yr for one shop), especially when you have cheaper tools like PopShops and GoldenCan available.
    Too expensive Ever wondered if PS and GC offer the same as Datafeedr?

Quote Originally Posted by stev
    Too expensive Ever wondered if PS and GC offer the same as Datafeedr?
    Seems like a slick interface but nothing more. Popshop I have used extensively and GC I have tried out. Both can do coupons, but not datafeedr. If you offer your prospective clients 30 day free trial like Popshop or Formetocoupon does, perhaps you may get more people give you a look.

The important thing is whether datafeeds are kept up to date or not.... and how often downtime occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    Seems like a slick interface but nothing more. Popshop I have used extensively and GC I have tried out.
    If you want to compare please compare apples with apples! We're a 100% WORDPRESS solution so if you want to compare us with PopShops and GoldenCan use these two services on a WordPress blog and let's talk again to see if Popshops and GoldenCan can do what Datafeedr is able to do.

Both can do coupons, but not datafeedr.
    We offer Shareasale, PepperjamNetwork, AffiliateWindow and AffiliateFuture coupons.

The important thing is whether datafeeds are kept up to date or not...
    We update our database on a weekly basis. Whether datafeeds are up to date or not is merchant's responsibility! If merchant doesn't care to update its datafeed at regular times you will have outdated products on your website whether using a datafeed tool service or handling the feeds yourself.

...and how often downtime occurs.
    No less no more downtime than any other service that is using a quality hosting company like we do.

> "We update our database on a weekly basis. Whether datafeeds are up to date or not is merchant's responsibility! If merchant doesn't care to update its datafeed at regular times you will have outdated products on your website whether using a datafeed tool service or handling the feeds yourself." <

This is a concern for me -- first, many merchants have more frequent updates, and I'd hate to find that my pages are displaying products with out-of-date prices or out-of-stock items. Second, any datafeed service needs to impose some "editorial" control, by removing merchants whose feeds are recognized as being out-of-date and invalid.

I'm also concerned by your reference to "quality hosting" -- are you saying that you do not have a dedicated server? I would expect that a service like this would absolutely require a dedicated server.

Stefan:

Just to be clear: Datafeedr requires manual creation of a "subscription" for each and every search term I might wish to use. Then, I can manually download and insert a STATIC page with the results data, which I'd need to manually update whenever the datafeed changes (but you provide no way for me to know if the search results have changed since I last downloaded the code). In other words, you provide a much less convenient solution than PopShops (even for WordPress), although you're promising to add "synchronization" functionality "soon."

You also didn't indicate what level of complexity is available in the search queries used to define a 'category.' (Specifically: AND, OR, and NOT functionality? phrase matching? wildcards?)

Your statement that people shouldn't compare your service with others (unless they first compare how the competing services work in WordPress) is ludicrous. Most folks aren't looking for a WordPress solution -- we are looking for a solution that meets our specifc needs (which your service very clearly does not). If you offered a solution that meets my needs, I'd use WordPress. If not, then I'd use another solution using the best available environment (which would probably not be WordPress).

> "We update our database on a weekly basis. Whether datafeeds are up to date or not is merchant's responsibility! If merchant doesn't care to update its datafeed at regular times you will have outdated products on your website whether using a datafeed tool service or handling the feeds yourself." <

This is a concern for me -- first, many merchants have more frequent updates, and I'd hate to find that my pages are displaying products with out-of-date prices or out-of-stock items. Second, any datafeed service needs to impose some "editorial" control, by removing merchants whose feeds are recognized as being out-of-date and invalid.
    We do editorial control as much as we can. Feeds are not included if last update dates are too far in the past unless these datafeeds are specifically requested by one of our members. As out-of-date prices are a frequent issue with datafeeds we have an option to disable price display in a store. Whether this is good practice to do or not is another discussion.

I'm also concerned by your reference to "quality hosting" -- are you saying that you do not have a dedicated server? I would expect that a service like this would absolutely require a dedicated server.
    Of course we don't use shared hosting. We use several dedicated servers.

If you want to compare please compare apples with apples! We're a 100% WORDPRESS solution so if you want to compare us with PopShops and GoldenCan use these two services on a WordPress blog and let's talk again to see if Popshops and GoldenCan can do what Datafeedr is able to do.
    For what it's worth -- I use Popshops extensively on WordPress installs without any problems. I've got GC on one or two -- and it requires using the javascript GC on WordPress or the pagination won't work.

But since I have unlimited site building capabilities at a much lower rate with Popshops, I haven't seen the need to try Datafeedr on my WP sites.

Might be a good service; I have no "horse in this race" as the saying goes, just wanted to point out that Popshops works on WP for me.
    Generate more fake news.

I use Popshops on sites that ARE WORDPRESS driven and also those that aren't. Whether I am putting my shops on 1,000 sites or 1 site it is $30 per month for Popshops. Your service is $27 for only ONE site.

Good to know that you update your feeds only once a week. Some merchants update their feed more than once a week, especially if it is pertaining to coupons, inventory, and last minute sales. Some services out their are continuously updating their database not just once a week, but daily. In that case I can justify paying more for clean up-to-date data, but once a week, not so. Clearly no advantage here.

Just to be clear: Datafeedr requires manual creation of a "subscription" for each and every search term I might wish to use. Then, I can manually download and insert a STATIC page with the results data, which I'd need to manually update whenever the datafeed changes (but you provide no way for me to know if the search results have changed since I last downloaded the code). In other words, you provide a much less convenient solution than PopShops (even for WordPress), although you're promising to add "synchronization" functionality "soon."
    Once you've built your store in our members area this store will be automatically updated every time we update our database thanks to the subscriptions you've set up for each category. Subscriptions are set up only ONE TIME. There is NO manual updating to do afterwards unless you decide to change them!

The only manual action that is currently needed is download the feed file (which contains your category and product information) from our members area and upload/import this feed file into your WordPress installation.

This process takes only a few minutes. We know it's not perfect and that's why we're researching ways to automate this LAST step so the only manual action that's required is building your store in the members area.

You also didn't indicate what level of complexity is available in the search queries used to define a 'category.' (Specifically: AND, OR, and NOT functionality? phrase matching? wildcards?)
    AND, OR, NOT, exact search

Your statement that people shouldn't compare your service with others (unless they first compare how the competing services work in WordPress) is ludicrous. Most folks aren't looking for a WordPress solution -- we are looking for a solution that meets our specifc needs (which your service very clearly does not). If you offered a solution that meets my needs, I'd use WordPress. If not, then I'd use another solution using the best available environment (which would probably not be WordPress).
    If WordPress is what I - as a user - want to use as environment I'm going to look at and compare in the first place store building solutions for WordPress - especialy solutions that are 100% WordPress based instead of solutions that try to offer a bit of everything. If these WordPress solutions do not satisfy my needs I may consider to look at other services such as PS and GC.

I use Popshops on sites that ARE WORDPRESS driven and also those that aren't. Whether I am putting my shops on 1,000 sites or 1 site it is $30 per month for Popshops. Your service is $27 for only ONE site.
    I'm glad PS works for you. Yes, that's $27 for only one site and we'll probably increase that in the near future as it's way too cheap.

I'm glad PS works for you. Yes, that's $27 for only one site and we'll probably increase that in the near future as it's way too cheap.
    Since no one will use you because you are priced way to high - before it's over with you'll have no one to raise the prices on - unless you can keep finding newbies that don't know any better - and they will quit you after about a month when they see no sales.

You need to get over yourself.

I can buy a program that will do what you do and host it myself and use it on all the sites I want too.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Since no one will use you because you are priced way to high - before it's over with you'll have no one to raise the prices on - unless you can keep finding newbies that don't know any better - and they will quit you after about a month when they see no sales.

You need to get over yourself.

I can buy a program that will do what you do and host it myself and use it on all the sites I want too.
    Before you make such claims make sure that you have used our service first so you know what is offered for that price. The reason we may increase our prices is because a lot of new features and networks will be added soon. If you can buy a program that does everything what Datafeedr (or any other similar service) does... great for you. Why wait any longer?

Before you make such claims make sure that you have used our service first so you know what is offered for that price. The reason we may increase our prices is because a lot of new features and networks will be added soon. If you can buy a program that does everything what Datafeedr (or any other similar service) does... great for you. Why wait any longer?
    I did try the service and concluded that it was too expensive for just one shop. I had to download a file and upload to wordpress instead of changes being automatic like via PS or GC. If I deleted products in WP and then downloaded changes from Datafeedr and forgot to delete those products on the Datafeedr side before I uploaded the file to WP, I had to delete the products again in WP. Yes, there is some neat functionality that PS and GC don't have like the drip functionality, but IMO overall the product is a lot clunkier to deal with and like I said... too expensive for one shop. If I had just one site, I'd probably be happy with it, but I don't. So I've found better solutions for my situation.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Can we get a comparison chart here? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sfcom
    Can we get a comparison chart here? ;-)
    Great idea. Anyone? (I've gotta make a decision soon...)

Thanks.

I would like to add that the guys at Datafeedr are very helpful and unbiased about other datafeed products available. Me myself have not used datafeedr as of yet but I did email them to ask some questions about the product and asked for a comparison about another product and stefan sent a email within minutes telling me what i needed to know,also made positive remarks about a competitors product that is not subscription based. With that i can only say good things about them.

Stev.
    Im wondering as to the impact of "masked" links that your solution provides. As in replacing affiliate links with your own url links.
    1) Does this ACTUALLY make it look like there are less external links from each page?
    2) Does this affect seo in a good way?

The reason I ask is.... Google penalizes pages for having too many external links..Google assumes these pages as link farms and pushes them below the rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by davioli
    1) Does this ACTUALLY make it look like there are less external links from each page?
    2) Does this affect seo in a good way?

The reason I ask is.... Google penalizes pages for having too many external links..Google assumes these pages as link farms and pushes them below the rankings.
    First of all, masked clean links from your domain looks less offensive, than something like http://bladfwkjkewr.com/?asdaskj345345ksdjf34534ksdf=sdfjkskln435slkdflsdf=s21df2s1d32f1s2d31f etc (plus, you should add "Disallow" rule in your robots.txt for your link redirection script).
    Then, you should always use rel="external nofollow" for all affiliate links, that will help you forget about penalties etc.
    Last edited by loxly; October 11th, 2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: unlinked example link

26. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread