No Longer Banned!
    Avoiding Duplicate Content In PopShops...
    Hi

I am trying to add new features to my website that will drive traffic to us and increase our search engine presence.

In the conversations we have had, I am being told that popshops data feeds are considered duplicate content from the merchants site.

So Q: If I change the product descriptions for all 3600+ products, will that alleviate the duplicate content issues ?

Also: I wish to discuss the caveat [s] to this. What other potential "Duplicate Content" issues are there w/ popshops feeds and what can I do in so far as the feed itself to set my feed apart from everyone elses ?

What are ways to tweak the feed ?

Also, does the combination of keywords used to refine the product offerings {I call that removing the pollution from the feed} help with setting my feed apart from the other peoples feeds ?

SuperCool is a really great guy. He has helped me a great deal. But lets face it, I don't want my product offerings to be confused with his. Or anyone elses for that matter. I WANT the SE's to see us very differently. - even though we both use popshops and we are both selling some of the same products.

I want to maximise my traffic and SE exposure w/o the need to type my own feed like Haiko wants me to do {Sorry H, that's just too unrealistic for me} or adding all 3600+ products one at a time.

So, what are the best practises for adding products and getting as close to unique content/ a custom data feed as you can get w/o actually having one built ? {I will ask Jessie to make us a custom feed when our traffic hits 250,000 visitors per month.}

Thanks !

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

The pages where you add PopShops is where you make your site unique. You can manually edit or do mod rewrites, but the products, prices et al will be the same. The page that you build to hold the PopShops snippet is where you need to work on adding value to the visitors. Just editing descriptions helps, but won't make an outstanding difference.

These things are basic to any datafeed site, not just PopShops. Page after page of products only won't get your site to the top.

Steve,
    PopShops doesn't make custom feeds. If you get big enough and want to invest in your site, I would hire a developer to help you customize your site and how you interact with the data.
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

No Longer Banned!
    Unhappy No Custom Feeds Are Allowed For StevesApparel ?....
    Quote Originally Posted by JessieJ
    Steve,
    PopShops doesn't make custom feeds. If you get big enough and want to invest in your site, I would hire a developer to help you customize your site and how you interact with the data.
    Jessie

I have met you at a few of the shows and I have decided that I like you and I really like your product. So I wanna stick with you.

Alas my frustration only mounts.

Thanks

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

No Longer Banned!
    Exclamation Still, What can I Do To The Feed To Be UNIQUE ??...
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    The pages where you add PopShops is where you make your site unique. You can manually edit or do mod rewrites, but the products, prices et al will be the same. The page that you build to hold the PopShops snippet is where you need to work on adding value to the visitors. Just editing descriptions helps, but won't make an outstanding difference.

These things are basic to any datafeed site, not just PopShops. Page after page of products only won't get your site to the top.
    2busy

I feel you. I have enlisted the help of a consultant for this reason.

I have been told this much about the page itself. I will be tweaking that as soon as I can find a service that can add the stuff I want. Among other things.

I still live in fear of G telling me I have duplicate content and desire to discuss if there is a means to set my feed apart from the rest. I guess you are telling me the answer is no ??

I want to do all I can to be unique.

Steve

Edit descriptions? With all the datafeed updates, that would be a quick trip into insanity for me.

Duplicate content is exactly the same (or high percentage) page content as another site. If you're creating custom PS niche pages, your page most likely won't be the same as other affiliates. Add your own content before, after and in left or right cols (or both if you have 3 cols.). Add article, tips, advice, quote pages that can rank in the SERPs with links to your product pages.

Are you mashing up a few merchants with related products on a page? Then you shouldn't be having duplicate content issues at all. It's the entire page content, not each individual item description.

I get traffic directly to quite a few of my product pages for phrases that are in the item descriptions.

Popshops makes it very simple to create unique datafeed pages, if you bother to dig in a little and be creative with categories & niches.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    Edit descriptions? With all the data feed updates, that would be a quick trip into insanity for me.

Duplicate content is exactly the same (or high percentage) page content as another site. If you're creating custom PS niche pages, your page most likely won't be the same as other affiliates. Add your own content before, after and in left or right cols (or both if you have 3 cols.). Add articles, tips, advice, quote pages that can rank in the SERPs with links to your product pages.

Are you mashing up a few merchants with related products on a page? Then you shouldn't be having duplicate content issues at all. It's the entire page content, not each individual item description.

I get traffic directly to quite a few of my product pages for phrases that are in the item descriptions.

Popshops makes it very simple to create unique data feed pages, if you bother to dig in a little and be creative with categories & niches.
    Renee

I like what you have to say and I am very interested in discussing this with you.

I am using four main merchants for all sports except soccer, world soccer, hockey and a few yet to come data feeds I am having a network build for me and others to use.

I run off the same pattern for each shop [Team] and by doing so I am using 5 main keywords in the upper left hand corner of the dash board to get the desired products. To get max results, I pick what I think are the best looking [and therefore hopefully the best selling] products on each shop. I pick a combination of 13 jerseys between four merchants, 8 hats, 8 to 12 shirts {I tend to vary this a little by team}, and seven jackets for 36 products total. On some teams I have a mixture of polo shirts too.

I try to keep an even mix of custom, premier, throwback, authentic, and autographed jerseys [and sometimes caps too] and shirts in the front page line up.

It is my hope that this combination will make my website unique enough to not get penalised for duplicate content by G. So am I sounding like I am on the right track ?? Or do I need to address this data feed issue more ??

A new 3 cols page will be going in next year. You can view that here.

I am also looking to add a custom score board. Know any one that can do that??

On the traffic to "quite a few of [my] pages.." - can I get the pagination pages to rank ? I currently have all 500+ Pagination pages set to NOFOLLOW. Can we weigh this some more ??

On the "bother to dig in" part: If I vary the keywords I use to find the 5 main products I sell, will that help make my content even more unique ? And separately will G sense this and rank me for the niche things I am trying to focus on and rank for ??

Thank you for taking the time to discuss this w/ me !!

Steve

Yes, you've already created unique product pages, but want to emphasize what 2busy said: "Page after page of products only won't get your site to the top."

That's what your site is: a datafeed site, despite that you have "unique pages." While you probably don't have duplicate content issues (but your navigation bar certainly looks like others in the sports niche), Google certainly recognizes that your site has only page after page of products. The other thing to put into your equation is that you have thousands upon thousands of competitors in the sports niche who are also vying for top Google spots. Have you identified your top competitors? What do their sites have that yours doesn't? Or what info can you provide that their sites don't?

Unique content alone doesn't guarantee anyone a spot—and despite that your datafeed pages are unique, Google still recognizes it as only a datafeed site, not one with interesting articles, tips, info, etc. There aren't any simple solutions/guarantees. There's a lot of info on ABW about getting traffic organically and Google. Do some searches and read through the Search Engine forum and The Magic Bullet thread.

You're going to have to get backlinks and without anything but product pages, there's no compelling reason for any other site to link to yours. I don't do PPC, but others might recommend this if you have no plans to add any original content but mashed up datafeeds.

I don't think you have to worry about getting penalized for duplicate content issues, so hopefully you can relax about this and focus on how you should promote your site, research competitors, add content besides datafeeds, etc.

P.S. - Try searching HotScripts for a scoreboard script.
    P.P.S. - Trying to rank for pagination pages: highly unlikely.
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

http and a telephoto
    Steve, I think you need to take further discussion out of the PopShops forum, since that part has been addressed, and you need to read this excellent thread about using a datafeed to create a website:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60200

A datafeed is a tool, PopShops is a tool, they need to be used to create something of value or there is no point to using either tool, alone or together.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs up Debbie Has Spoken....
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Steve, I think you need to take further discussion out of the PopShops forum, since that part has been addressed, and you need to read this excellent thread about using a datafeed to create a website:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60200

A datafeed is a tool, PopShops is a tool, they need to be used to create something of value or there is no point to using either tool, alone or together.
    Thanks Debbie.

This series of posts was to ONLY ask about the duplicate issues of the feeds w/ G.

Sometimes the threads get dragged OT a bit when folks are trying to help. I think I contributed to this myself w/ the score board Q too.

Ahh shit.

Sorry

Steve

Thread Abandoned because Core Q Was Answered

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs up
    You're going to have to get backlinks and without anything but product pages, there's no compelling reason for any other site to link to yours. I don't do PPC, but others might recommend this if you have no plans to add any original content but mashed up datafeeds.
    I feel you, and I had some of these installed, but they were destroyed by my guy during the last code clean up session. These will be redesigned and then added again soon.

In fact much of my unique stuff is lost forever.
    I don't think you have to worry about getting penalized for duplicate content issues, so hopefully you can relax about this and focus on how you should promote your site, research competitors, add content besides datafeeds, etc.

P.S. - Try searching HotScripts for a scoreboard script.
    P.P.S. - Trying to rank for pagination pages: highly unlikely.
    You have saved the day ! - This is what I needed.

Thank You !!

Steve

Thread Abandoned Due To Q Being Answered In This Post

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread