Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tjoos.com is stealing everyone's exclusive codes
    Tjoos.com is stealing everyone's exclusive codes, and I see no way to contact them on their site...

www. tjoos. com/Coupon/8419/Canvas-On-Demand

it's right there on thier "about us" page
    Contact Tjoos
    +61 2 9976 6741
    info @ tjoos com

ACN (Australian Company Number) 129 271 325
    ABN (Australian Business Number) 97 129 271 325

Thumbs down
    Another one to add to the list .. tsk tsk ..
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

We list about 2200 exclusive codes ourselves that get reposted by others like RMN, ShopAdvisor, CouponChief and GoGoShopper, so we understand the issue.

We don't want to list exclusives from other sites and actively filter out a whole bunch of trademarked terms. If we do list any of your exclusive codes, please drop me an email at bart.jellema@tjoos.com and I'll remove them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjoos
    ... We don't want to list exclusives from other sites and actively filter out a whole bunch of trademarked terms. If we do list any of your exclusive codes, please drop me an email at bart.jellema@tjoos.com and I'll remove them.
    So my question would be is why then do you visit other coupon sites and post their coupon on your website??? Why not just list the coupons that the merchant provides directly to you...

Quote Originally Posted by kse
    So my question would be is why then do you visit other coupon sites and post their coupon on your website??? Why not just list the coupons that the merchant provides directly to you...
    It looks like they're a social coupon site like Retailmenot, so the coupons are posted by visitors.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Ok, now I understand how exclusive coupons could be posted without the site owners knowing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    It looks like they're a social coupon site like Retailmenot, so the coupons are posted by visitors.

- Scott

No they were not user submitted. The fact they have every exclusive code from certain sites show that they used a bot to scan the sites and grab the codes.

Quote Originally Posted by shimmy
    No they were not user submitted. The fact they have every exclusive code from certain sites show that they used a bot to scan the sites and grab the codes.
    I'm not trying to defend them, but I don't think you can really say this without some proof such as logs indicating a bot scraping these sites. I know some social coupon sites get hundreds of coupon posts per day, so it's not very hard to believe the visitors are posting everything from everywhere.

- Scott

Yes I can say it. They are scraping. When you see a merchant with a little known brand that hardly anyone knows about, and see all there exclusive codes on that site, it becomes obvious that it was scraped.

Yes I can say it. They are scraping. When you see a merchant with a little known brand that hardly anyone knows about, and see all there exclusive codes on that site, it becomes obvious that it was scraped.
    It seems like they're becoming a fairly well known brand. I've heard them come up several times before this thread. I just don't think its fair to accuse an affiliate of underhandedness when they've become successful. This same thing happened here a year or two ago when Retailmenot became popular. Everybody thought they were scraping when it turned out to be untrue. I'm not saying they scrape or not, but it seems unlikely due to the complexity of building a scraper that is compatible with the hundreds of different coupon sites. The fact that they've got an active community and huge growth according to alexa and compete are also indicative of user submitted coupons.

- Scott

I didn't even give you examples of the brands I was talking about. I seen some other post from you in the Unethical Affiliates section defending similar sites. Do you have a user submitted coupon site?

I didn't even give you examples of the brands I was talking about. I seen some other post from you in the Unethical Affiliates section defending similar sites. Do you have a user submitted coupon site?
    I meant Tjoos is becoming a fairly well known brand. I checked Google and saw stories about them as far back as 2007 from sites like Cnet and Techcrunch, so they've certainly got a following. I don't focus on coupon based sales, but if I did I wouldn't mind having a site as successful as Tjoos. This model is tricky because once you've gained some success you'll have to deal with filtering exclusive coupons and folks who accuse you of scraping. For these reasons and the difficulty of adding value, I stay away from this space.

- Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    I meant Tjoos is becoming a fairly well known brand. I checked Google and saw stories about them as far back as 2007 from sites like Cnet and Techcrunch, so they've certainly got a following. I don't focus on coupon based sales, but if I did I wouldn't mind having a site as successful as Tjoos. This model is tricky because once you've gained some success you'll have to deal with filtering exclusive coupons and folks who accuse you of scraping. For these reasons and the difficulty of adding value, I stay away from this space.

- Scott
    Yep I saw the Cnet article from 2007 too. If you look at the comments on the page someone accused them of scraping back in 2007

Yep I saw the Cnet article from 2007 too. If you look at the comments on the page someone accused them of scraping back in 2007
    Again, you just gotta deal with these types of accusations when you run a social coupon site. But unless somebody can provide some proof there's no reason to listen. I just don't think social coupon sites should be classified as unethical unless it's been proven that they're intentionally doing something wrong. It seems every year or two a new site works into the mainstream and gets bashed without proof.

- Scott

All those sites deserved to get bashed, because they were scraping. The kind of proof you want it a fantasy and impossible to get, that's why they have those site have no problem with scraping. They know they can name their bots whatever they want, set it on another IP, and it's not traceable back to them. Talk about proof all you want , it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it a duck

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjoos
    We list about 2200 exclusive codes ourselves that get reposted by others like RMN, ShopAdvisor, CouponChief and GoGoShopper, so we understand the issue.

We don't want to list exclusives from other sites and actively filter out a whole bunch of trademarked terms. If we do list any of your exclusive codes, please drop me an email at bart.jellema@tjoos.com and I'll remove them.
    You'll be getting an email from me shortly, there is a MAJOR site that you should have filtered that you are showing an exclusive coupon from, for one of my merchants.

We don't put up with that.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Couple things. First, I don't agree with Snib's thinking regarding these type of sites at all and not enough time in the day to elaborate as to reasons why lol but we're just two nice people who just for some reason look at this situation and see it completely and entirely differently.... night and day differently lol

He definitely doesn't need me defending him but in case this conversation goes in that direction.... I don't even know what his site or sites are but think I know him well enough from here to know that he's not unethical at all.

So, just in case there are any doubts about him cos he has made posts in threads where I guess he does appear as tho he's defending those type of sites (again, is just a difference of opinion how we look at em....doesn't mean he believes they're doin somethin bad and condones it.) Just don't want anybody thinking he has this opinion cos he has a site that's doin it. (umm again I don't know what his sites are lol but even if he did have one it would be cos he honestly doesn't see what's wrong with em....he's not stating his thoughts cos he's a bad guy doin the same thing.)

Done babblin on that and probably silly to have done cos as I said, Snib doesn't need me defending him lol just wanted to make it clear to anybody reading this thread who may not know him.....there's just an honest difference of opinion goin on here between members He's not doin anything bad and that's the reason he's stating his opinion on this.

Boy, will really sound silly sayin this now, too. anybody who's read these type of threads knows by now that I have to practically pull my lil fingers off the keyboard when it comes to commenting on sites like RTM, etc. I completely and totally disagree with how they operate their sites and don't think they should even be allowed as affiliates.

I'm soooo proud of myself. My lil fingers couldn't help themselves again on this topic, made a long babblin post on it but I deleted it. Needless to say, I definitely do not like this model for a coupon type site and think it's entirely wrong. Nope, not gonna bite and say anything else on the subject.

but uhhhh boy does this pain me to say but I do have to say that bart.jellema@tjoos.com not sure if was same person or not...but in the past had my exclusive coupons on their site, asked them nicely and they have removed em. (which I do appreciate) ummm doesn't mean they might not be on now even since I haven't gone looking for a while lol but least when I contacted them they did remove em. So, did want to thank him for doing that at least. I'd prefer they were monitoring their site in the first place and my coupons didn't find their way on it, but at least unlike some of the others they have removed em when asked.

And thank you to Loxly for not allowing it.

http and a telephoto
    No merchant should allow it, checking their site for the rest of my merchants before I send that email.
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    One more note, they are listing an exclusive coupon for Viator, which they are going to get a notice about, and here's the fun thing, they won't get paid for those sales from people using that coupon, the company it was made for will
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    One more note, they are listing an exclusive coupon for Viator, which they are going to get a notice about, and here's the fun thing, they won't get paid for those sales from people using that coupon, the company it was made for will
    Do you have to send the notice right away?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Do you have to send the notice right away?

-rematt
    lolol Good point, let them keep making someone else money, right?
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    they won't get paid for those sales from people using that coupon, the company it was made for will
    That's what I thought an "exclusive coupon" should be designed. The original affiliates whom the "exclusive coupon" has been assigned for will always get the commission. Other sites could copy the "exclusive coupon" as many times as they want but won't get any penny out of it.

No? Why can't all the merchants who offer "exclusive coupons" do the same as Viator?

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    That's what I thought an "exclusive coupon" should be designed. The original affiliates whom the "exclusive coupon" has been assigned for will always get the commission. Other sites could copy the "exclusive coupon" as many times as they want but won't get any penny out of it.

No? Why can't all the merchants who offer "exclusive coupons" do the same as Viator?
    It actually isn't very easy from a technical standpoint, it depends on your technology. Viator is able to implement that on their site. Other merchants I run that have coupons, will manually check to make sure the right affiliate is credited, but that involves a reversal which looks bad in reports. But it doesn't matter, I would rather have the reversal and have to correct affiliate credited. Of course there are merchants that don't have time (or don't want to) take the time to manually check on coupon orders.

Mayfly the way most exclusive coupons actually work is they are like a vanity coupon, branded for an affiliate site, but not different than what other coupon sites have and not tied to a specific affiliate ID for tracking.

I would love if that technology was able to be built into affiliate tracking.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for clearing things up Loxly.

There are so many threads talking about "Exclusive Coupons" been scrapped from time to time. I've been always wondering how could that happen if the coupons are "exclusive" to certain affiliates.

Your explanation make a lot sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast