I'm on DSL and I'm looking for a wireless solution for my notebook. Can anybody recommend a good router and card. Thanks.

Did you look at the reviews on www.cnet.com. I find them really useful.

www.computers4sure.com has really good prices and a had $20 off coupon through their affillate program -- not sure if they still do.

Beth

<html>
    <head>
    <FONT SIZE=2 FACE="Palatino Linotype">
    <font color=#006666>
    <center> www.audible.com | 9% to 20% commissions!<HR color="99CC99">coupons | seven direct data feeds | bonuses for top partners | parasite-free<HR color="99CC99"> Beth Kirsch | bkirsch [at] audible.com | 1.973.837.2742 | join now/program details</center>

</font>
    </head>
    </html>

Hi Miss Beth,

Off topic - could you check your pm pls?
    thanks!

What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

JJJay,

I tried the wireless first and it made my DSL about the equivalent of dial up. So I ran a line to my front porch if I want to be outside for the day. I am considering running another line to my pond, I am going to run it in the same way I would do sprinklers underground using PVC pipe.

Between the stores and this, I want to be comfortable when I don’t have to be in the office!

SandraR
    <font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

As long as you have a half-way decent signal, wireless should have absolutely no impact on DSL speed. Wireless is 11, 22 or 56mbps. DSL is probably 1.5mbps or less--maybe 3mbps if you're lucky. A wired connection is usually 100mbps.

As for the original question... I've never noticed a difference between different brands. I've used SMC and D-Link. Both were fine.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I have had the best luck signal wise and ease of use with D-Link Products.
    I had tried some Belkin products and could only get a decent signal if I was right next to it.

I use a d-link 614+router dwl650+ card also and love it 22mbps at 50-75 feet

-----------------------------
    parasite free merchants only! Join the Club it's Rewarding in the long run
    aim nycfalcon1

Has anyone ever set up an external antenna so they could wander their property? I was thinking of doing that so I could get a good signal out by the pool and have no idea what to look for..

Thanks everybody for their replies. Sandra do you have any idea why your signal is so weak, I read somewhere that wireless telephones and their signals can affect wireless internet connections.

I went ahead and bought the following,

D-Link DWL-G650 AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless PC Card 108Mbps
    D-Link DI-624 AirPlus Xtreme G Wireless Router 108Mbps

[This message was edited by JJJay on February 23, 2004 at 07:14 PM.]

JJJay,

I have absolutely no idea; we are only 1 block from the centurytel box. I even had centurytel over to see if there were issues and they had no idea why there was such a drastic drop.

Next step was to ask others who live by and they have the same problems, so I gave up trying to find out why and simply hard wire.

SandraR
    <font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

I get decent reception out by the pool, but have a really hard time seeing the screen on my laptop during the daylight or my keyboard at night.

If you have 2.4 GHz phones, they may interfere with your wireless network (and the network will cause a crackling sound on the phones). Look at either the new 5.8 GHz phones or 900 Mhz DSS phones.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

I'm really happy with D-link for my router and laptop card. Works great, even on the deck, but agree with Michael about the hard time seeing the screen.

Reception in the pool is terrible (plus I have to keep coming up for air).

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

I picked up a 54MB kit (router and PCMCIA card) for $100 ($160 - $60 rebate) from Best Buy a couple weeks ago. It was the Microsoft branded kit, and I have to say it's been working VERY well. It replaces the 11MB SMC unit I had been using. Some comments:

Both the 11 and 54 MB units are able to connect full strenght through 2 brick walls over 40 feet.

The 11 MB was OK, but it connected by USB. Because my laptop is an older laptop, the it only had USB 1.1, which meant that I could never get more than about 1.5 MB/s out of it. So file transfers within my local network took days.

The 54 MB connection is great, as long as I don't put any other cards in the same slot. If there is another card in the slot it blocks the built-in antenna and the connection gets very weak or dies.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

Connie,

I've setup several external antennas on D-Link Wireless Access Points. They work great. Make sure you get an Omni-Directional, with as high a Dbi as possible.

I will act now. I will act now. I will act now.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread