With Commission Junctions indecision as to what stance to take in parasit-ware, we are deciding ourselves what to do with them as a result of no "stance" in protecting their resellers. We welcome your your opinions and views in this matter. Read on....

STOP Affiliate Commission Hijackers
    -------------------------------------

By S. Denise Hoyle

Some affiliate industry experts and concerned webmasters have recently been voicing their opposition to a number of popular free software downloads that divert commissions away from sites
    actually providing affiliate traffic into the pockets of the software providers.

The software, known in affiliate circles as thief-ware, pirate-ware, steal-ware and parasite-ware, is made by close to 20 companies and is used by dozens more. Thief-ware is typically
    installed when a user downloads free music or file swapping software, and the consumer is generally not clearly informed that
    by downloading the free software they are allowing their computers to be electronically marked.

Thief-ware allows future purchases via affiliate links to be overwritten and makes them appear as if they were made through the software provider's links when they are not, and it continues to redirect commissions on all subsequent sales - even if the software is uninstalled.

Companies who provide the diversion software include Morpheus, LimeWire, Kazaa, TopMoxie and BearShare, Madster among others. The software has reportedly been downloaded by tens of millions of Internet surfers, and the makers contend that they're doing nothing wrong since users agree to their terms when they download the free software. Amazon.com obviously disagrees with the practice since they recently terminated Morpheus for violating its policies - great news for their 800,000+ affiliates. However other large affiliate companies, such as Commission Junction (cj.com), are so far refusing to take sides in the battle because the diversion practices have not yet been found to violate any laws.

Regards
    DesignerWiz.com Team
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center

DesignerWiz
    http://DesignerWiz.com

what give the parasite the right to take money away from average person like me that just trying to earn money from their own home so they can be close to their family and others don't have a choice but to stay home due to sickness and other sircumstances they are and some don't have a choice to work outside of their home.

And all of us (average people) trying our best to make a living from affiliate marketing for our family are getting screwed by this are really not fair.

Forget the legality or business ethics. it's wrong doing and affecting a lot of human beings.
    There is no one in the right mind will say that these parasite is doing it in the right way.

It's been said so many times in this board but I will say it again.

My Domain
    My Server
    My Website
    My hardwork
    My Money to pay for all this and pay ad.
    User find my site and purchase on one of my merchant I work so hard to advertise.

It's my commission.
    We give the Merchant the user for life and this is what we get?

Where is the justification on this issue?
    Where is the Law and Ethics on this issue?
    It feels good to do the right thing than doing it wrong right?

Network and Merchant profit from our hardwork the same we should profit. maybe less than they do, but at least let's all do it in the right way where there is NO DIVERSION OF COMMISSION for all.

if a user find my site and purchase it should be mine and mine only.

Letting this parasite undermine my work and thousands of people is WRONG!

You rather deal with them than thousands of affiliates?

Is there something else that we don't know?
    is there something they have that could put you out of business?

Are they holding one of your family Hostage?

Do they have one of your Naked Picture you don't anybody to see?

okay I am done for now... lol...

But seriously to Merchant and Network,

We do our best to work hard and give our best creativity to advertise for all of us to profit and live compartably and some may get rich.

But for most of us we do it in the competitive way without undermining others hardwork.

Pls. Help us the way we help you.

Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

This is what I don’t understand about why merchants continue to work with parasites:

(1) Some merchants have performance bonuses. If a parasite steals commissions to the point that they qualify for the bonus, the merchant ends up paying more to the parasite than they would have paid to individual affiliates.

(2) The parasites steal to the point that when someone types the merchant’s URL directly into his/her browser, the parasite gets a commission the merchant wouldn’t have had to pay at all if the software was not feeding the parasite’s affiliate id and taking over the sale.

So basically, the merchant looks and sees these big sales from the parasite and pays out a commission, but would be making the same sales and paying less commission if the parasite’s software wasn’t involved.

Does this make any rational business sense from a merchant's standpoint?

---

This is what bugs me about Ebates in particular:

(1) In their Company Information section, they proudly boast:

quote:
    Our two founders – Alessandro Isolani and Paul Wasserman – both spent several years toiling as Deputy District Attorneys in Silicon Valley. (So you can be sure we are very into secure online transactions!)

If the ethics of these people are examples of what District Attorneys are like in our country, what hope is there?

(2) Ebates specifically states in their agreement and several other places to its members: Before you shop, you must start out at our site.

Obviously, this is so the sales will track properly. If this is a rule of their site, and their customers are made aware of this from the get-go, why then do they need their parasite software out there. Seems that there is only one reason: SO THAT THEY CAN OUTRIGHT STEAL!

---
    Judge your success by the degree that you're enjoying peace, health, and love.

Mark W made this observation in one of the threads in the Parasite forum:

quote:
    The issue is that TopMoxie watches the URL (or header) of the websites that IE visits, when it see's one with a different siteID, it tells the browser to redirect to a preset URL, which is why eBates redirects product links to the sites homepage.

Here is another reason merchants are losing money by allowing ebates as an affiliate. If someone clicks on a link expecting a product and gets the homepage, a lot of the times they'll give up and just go somewhere else. They're not going to take the time to search the site. They'll just think the product isn't there.

If ebates redirects search engine results to homepages, people aren't necessarily going to find the product they did a search for on the homepage. Another reason they'll hit the back button and go to the next search result.

---

This is also yet another reason why we as affiliate marketers should use direct product links instead of banners. (1) We're increasing our chances of a sale because we are directing targeted traffic, (2) we're not just brand advertising for the merchant, and (3) Top Moxie can't land the person on the product page.

---

Our team totally agree's with you on this issue. It is due to so many services dis-attention to protecting their sales affiliate that we ourselves have had to create a new outline focus.

What we are starting to do to attack this issue, is to create complete partnerships with selective vendors.

We approach reviewed software vendors with a proposal of "non-competitive" promotion offers to sell their wares directly through our cart rather than theirs.

This effectively accomplishes 2 things for us:

1. This informs your highly valuable viewer/customer that you are absolutely 100% behind a singular product for their need. You understand this product and can/will provide additional support for possible inquiries.

2. This absolutely assures you receive your reseller commission of the sale.

We do realize that this approach is not feasible to all aspects of selling due to some services needing diversity of selections. But, this is an exceptionally accurate resolution to loss sales profits if you can align this method on your service.

Since our service revamp to this particular product re-seller approach, we have seen some sections sales converts achieve over 1700% deviation factor.

These numbers speak for themselves. We hope this little tip helps allDevelopment Resource & JavaScript Public Archive Center.

DesignerWiz

Here we are, well into the shopping season, a full month has passed since the much-ballyhooed November 7th meeting, and no announcements have been made.

This isn't to criticize the work of so many dedicated parties that made this happen and contributed to the meeting, but it's rather to point out that the networks simply aren't in any big hurry to make an announcement because this doesn't interfere with THEIR business.

That fact that CJ has thousands of affiliates that are being ripped off by other affiliates, including some of their top performers, apparently is totally lost on CJ. Or, they simply find it's best for THEM at this time to allow it to continue.

They will have a difficult time enforcing their TOS in the future, since they've obviously made exceptions to it in this case.

Truly sad, may the networks reap what they sow...

Andy [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

What goes around really does come around.

When faced with a merchant that is at CJ and Performics, I for one always go with Performics. I've noticed a higher conversion rate with them and they have been steadily paying within 35 days of the close of the month. I'm making more money, and my product links with them are generating more sales even though it is easier to make product links at CJ, it is well worth the extra time involved.

---

quote:
    Originally posted by Tracy:
    When faced with a merchant that is at CJ and Performics, I for one always go with Performics.

I've not joined Performics, I don't like the direct-deposit (or rather that the agreement allows direct-withdrawals as well), but if I see a compelling merchant I may still join with a low-balance bank account. I'm not worried about a legitimate commission reversal, but a decimal point glitch reversal with domino effect repurcussions. I'm perfectly content to wait for a commission from any source, after it's fully locked in, rather than take it early and have it owed back.

Well that's neither here nor there, I did see though, on a recent browse through, that Ebates is featured as a "select partner" or some such description at Performics, so I'm not all that sure that there's any advantage to them over CJ in that regard, or am I missing something?

Although, I do confess that it feels sort of like a sharp stick in the eye to see CJ extolling the virtues of ebates in a front page infomercial - but who knows, maybe the pressure from the merchants that aren't dropping them will actually get them to change their ways - certainly it's not hold your breath time yet though and certainly their past transgressions as outlined here would not permit me, personally, to maintain a relationship with Ebates, were I a merchant.

Andy, we could not dis-agree with you. The commission profit that CJ or any other affiliate tracker service makes does not change in any resepct. So, you are absolutely right when you state it does not effect "THIER" profits.

So, what incentive is there to rock the boat with "THIER" involvement which does effect "THIER" businness with loss of money by a member of "THIER" association who is indeed costing them the employees payroll time in "THIER" involvement.

What does all this spell out to you on overall profit margins of all these sale commissions if you were the tracking agent service?

To some services, it would simply say to them .... watch how things fly with our competitors who are also watching thier competitors in this area.

If none of these reputable tracking services are willing to stand up to these practices at some cost factor to themselves, it only speaks in large volume of what they generally feel about their resellers.

Hmmmm ... theirs food for thought.
    Development Resource & JavaScript Public Archive Center

DesignerWiz

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread