Affiliates terminated in Which States?
    Which specific states have seen local web publishers terminated by which merchants?

We know that Amazon has now terminated its advertising relationships with web publishers in three states (North Carolina, Rhode Island and Hawaii), as bills in those states with "immediate effect" language headed toward the governors' desks. Amazon has also threatened to terminate its advertising relationships with web publishers in other states which enact "Amazon Tax" legislation (most notably California).

We must also recall that Fingerhut, Hammacher Schlemmer, and several other merchants have terminated their advertising relationships with web publishers in Connecticut out of concern about "immediate effect" language in that state's pending bill. (I thought there were similar terminations in Maryland, but today I can't find any posts about this. Similar bills were also pending in Minnesota and Tennessee.) The legislation appears stalled in these four states (but we might still find the "Amazon Tax" language secretly inserted into their budget bills).

Of course, we can't forget that hundreds of merchants have ended their advertising relationships with tens of thousands of web publishers in New York, after that state became the first to enact "Amazon Tax" language last year.
    Last edited by markwelch; June 29th, 2009 at 09:35 PM.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    This gives me a bad, even HORRIBLE taste.

I was hoping that since I'm a Texan, a Southern state, and not to be political, ( disclaimer ) that we,
    as a majority of Republitards, could avoid this.

Buy since NC got hit, I'm worried.

California is going to bite, because they need every penny they can get.

But new taxes have been flying around like hot cakes the last 6 months or so. -

Is New York soon to be on the list?

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

At 6:43pm today I received a termination notice from Textbooks.com informing me that they'd closed all NC affiliate accounts:

"Due to the tax legislation the North Carolina State Legislature is about to pass
    we regret to inform you that as of 6:00 PM EST tomorrow Tuesday June 30,
    2009 we will be terminating your Textbooks.com affiliate account."

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crlharris
    At 6:43pm today I received a termination notice from Textbooks.com informing me that they'd closed all NC affiliate accounts:

"Due to the tax legislation the North Carolina State Legislature is about to pass we regret to inform you that as of 6:00 PM EST tomorrow Tuesday June 30,
    2009 we will be terminating your Textbooks.com affiliate account."
    Is it a big loss? -

I think that a merchant that gives you one day notice sucks.

Not showing the love..

Others may want to give these book salesman a second look.

IMHO of course.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

The Internet sales tax is an idea whose time has come. For one, it levels the playing field somewhat.

It's arbitrary and all the other legitimate complaints that we can make, but the fact that legislatures are enacting it is TOO BAD for Amazon ... and by extension those who want to FREE RIDE on the net ... because they can.

Turn about is fair play. This tax is akin to the states way to drop crooks and cheaters from the states AFFILIATE program. Amazon is just a FREE RIDER when compared to brick and mortar places.

Just like Amazon has the right to drop one from it's affiliate program, the state has the
    same right ... in effect the internet sales tax is a license to do business in state X or Y.
    Pay it or go away. You violates the state's TOS.

Kind of reminds me of the old bumper sticker from the late 1960's.

"Gas, grass or ass, no one rides for free."

Here's a real take on how state legislators look at it: "Amazon is not going to tell us what to do. We'll do whatever we FEEL is right to carry out our duty as legislators. If Amazon does not like it, they can go somewhere else."

But what about the affiliates. Well, as Forrest Gump pointed out: "Stuff Happens."

It's not unlike getting laid off from your 9 to 5 job. Get a new one. Buy Put Options on
    Amazon ... you will probably make more money than you would doing PPC to get people to buy stuff off Amazon.

We live in a country with a federal jurisdiction and 50 states. Each state is competing with every other state. There can be different rules and regs for each state ... and while that may be a like getting a backlash on you casting reel while fishing, it is what it is.

It's always greener on the other side of the hill, until you get there when you find the green is poison ivy and not grass.

I think that a merchant that gives you one day notice sucks.

Not showing the love..
    Wait until we start seeing those retroactive terminations. You know the ones that will arrive in the email boxes well after July 1 but say " As of July first you were deactivated. We're reversing any commissions you are owed."

Or when strong high producing affiliates start getting terminated with the reason "Just because. I don't have to tell you the real reason. "
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    This gives me a bad, even HORRIBLE taste.

I was hoping that since I'm a Texan, a Southern state, and not to be political, ( disclaimer ) that we,
    as a majority of Republitards, could avoid this.

Buy since NC got hit, I'm worried.
    I'm in Texas too. I think the Texas Legislature is done until 2011, unless they call a special session?
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread