Question A question for Linkshare merchants
    I'm fairly new to Linkshare's program (going on three months) and I initially took a very liberal approach to new affiliate applications. Basically, I approved them all...not knowing much, I didn't want to run the risk of ruling anyone out, and I figured it was better to have to trim the fat than miss out on the steak. As I've developed a better understanding of the system and what's working for us, I've become more comfortable narrowing the criteria for acceptance and I'm becoming more and more stringent. I'm still learning a ton, though, and I'd love your insight on the questions below to help me ballpark where we are:

1. What percent of affiliates would you estimate that you accept?
    2. What percent of accepted affiliates are actually "active"?
    3. Does the 80/20 rule hold true? Are 20% of your actives generating 80% of your affiliate revenue? Or is the number closer to 90/10 or 70/30?

Thanks!

Erik

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edun
    I'm fairly new to Linkshare's program (going on three months) and I initially took a very liberal approach to new affiliate applications. Basically, I approved them all...not knowing much, I didn't want to run the risk of ruling anyone out, and I figured it was better to have to trim the fat than miss out on the steak. As I've developed a better understanding of the system and what's working for us, I've become more comfortable narrowing the criteria for acceptance and I'm becoming more and more stringent. I'm still learning a ton, though, and I'd love your insight on the questions below to help me ballpark where we are:

3. Does the 80/20 rule hold true? Are 20% of your actives generating 80% of your affiliate revenue? Or is the number closer to 90/10 or 70/30?

Thanks!

Erik
    Well spoken.

Motivating in it's originality...

A question that many may feel compelled to give you!

But IMPOSSIBLE to answer...

80/20 -40/60 - 1/99 - more - less

Try them all and see what sticks to the wall....

Many Affiliate managers hate me because if I don't have any patience.

If it doesn't work on a daily basis I drop them or move them around..

Trial and error is the only way to learn...

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

ummm, the OP's question was about affiliates, not affiliate programs. edun is a merchant.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    1. Really depends on the program and the focus you have, different programs will have different acceptance values, a lot also depends on the type of sign ups you are getting, in some weeks you can get a mass of iffy sign ups , others you get fewer but higher quality

2. Active, defined as "promoting", again it varies hugely. Affiliates with a planned schedule, will sign up with the intention of working on your program when it fits in their schedule. They have 100 sites and work on them in sequence or based on the season. So If they sign up it may be 10 months before they get around to working on your program, but it will be on their to do list. In general 20-35% of your signed up affiliates could/will/ought to be active.

3. Yes I would say the 80/20 rule holds true, 20% of your partners are making sales, of those that make sales, 20% are the ones driving volume...But again it can depend on what you are selling, the season, your niche and so on. Lots of variables that can make any form of forecast or bell chart collapse rather fast

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread