Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager
    Cool Maintain a healthy lifestyle?
    I have a pretty active lifestyle and am into quite a few sports. However, same as many of us, I sit in front of my computer for long hours and often get stiff shoulders and necks. With increasing work load, I certainly donít head to gym as much as I used to.

I am hoping to develop a healthier and more effective daily routine and keep my energy level high. I am interested in learning what do you do to help balance your daily life and how do you motivate yourself

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Mia - I think most ppl can track with you on this one! A tip I can share that helps me at the computer is to keep the monitor up high to force you to keep you head/eyes up...thus no slouching

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks, that's a good point. I should also stretch more often--but it's hard to remember to do it after a while, especially when you are really focusing on something.

do some sports can help

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan
    do some sports can help
    I actually exercise enough weekly, yoga, tennis, boxing, weights. Decent amount of resistance + cardio. But it doesn't help much for my neck and shoulder pain. What sports are you into?

i do swimming, running

yoga should help too

First of all make sure you have a desk chair that is comfortable. Also the stress may be cuasing alot of your discomfort. Take frequent breaks in the long run you will not have wasted that time.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by nanlar
    First of all make sure you have a desk chair that is comfortable. Also the stress may be cuasing alot of your discomfort. Take frequent breaks in the long run you will not have wasted that time.
    Thanks Nanlar. Sounds good! I am also thinking about sitting on a balance ball for a few hours a day, which make you pay more attention to your sitting posture.

Affiliate Manager
    I just started using kettlebells on days that I do not have time to get to the gym. You can get a pretty good workout is a short amount of time, they don't take up much space since you generally only need one, and they help break up the monotony of a usual gym workout.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I would recommend not eating what I had for lunch the last two days: sushi buffet and Q-doba burritos...plus brownies that the guy gave me for free.

But seriously, I hit the gym for about an hour each day M-F, but one of the best forms of exercise I get is my twice daily (most days) runs with our dogs.

Usually I take one and my wife takes the other, sometimes I take both. Either way, I am dragging an extra 80-150 pounds and running 1-2 miles twice a day.

It's fun too and it gets them some much needed exercise! Knowing that they need it gets us out of bed in the morning and gets us motivated at night.

Also...riding a scooter around the office doesn't hurt either: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=120568
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

for fun rather than for sport i think

Philip, kettle bell is an interesting idea and it definitely give you quite a bit flexibility in terms of exercise options. I've been pushing myself to go to yoga a couple of times a week, but so far it doesn't help much with my shoulder pain. I think I'd need office yoga--some basic poses that allow you to stretch throughout the day.

Those are some great ideas. I can't wait to have a dog (maybe 2) someday

Obviously you don't need to feel guilty about what you indulged for 2 days. You are getting plenty of exercises.

I don't know when you're noticing the pain, but regardless of when it's being caused, don't underestimate the power of a good pillow. I was waking up with a sore neck a lot since starting my job where I'm at a computer all day. My girlfriend and I went to Macy's, and we both picked up a couple of nice memory foam pillows, and the results have been the difference between night and day. Just a suggestion. I guess it's like they say though, you spend an average of 1/3 of your life (more or less) in your bed, so it's important to make sure it's comfortable!

Quote Originally Posted by Mia @ IVEE
    I have a pretty active lifestyle and am into quite a few sports. However, same as many of us, I sit in front of my computer for long hours and often get stiff shoulders and necks. With increasing work load, I certainly donít head to gym as much as I used to.

I am hoping to develop a healthier and more effective daily routine and keep my energy level high. I am interested in learning what do you do to help balance your daily life and how do you motivate yourself
    Oh dear, I know how you feel haha.
    I work infront of a computer most of the day EVERYDAY. Havn't even had a vaication in more than 2 years. Basically keeping yourself motivated, for me as a man, is pretty obvious and sounds like a squid smartass ... but I simply put it: I don't want to look like a complete computer geek moron!
    The girls hate it, guys wanna fight you, my friends hate it : DON'T BE A GEEK ON THE OUTSIDE!
    I go to the gym a few times a week but maintain breaks during the day. I am VERY serious about my breaks, go for a walk, do something to get away from the damn screen
    Other than that, I would say that fitness, bodybuilding, martial arts etc., should be something that you do minimum twice a week to REALLY get your body moving

I've written a book about what motivates teenagers and most adults nowadays and I believe that we don't necessarily heard towards the gym to be healthy, but because we want to LOOK GOOD.
    That should be your motivation perhaps? WANTING to look good Because sitting in front of a computer day after day after day ..... ? Will not do it.

Good time management. Have time for work and have time for yourself. You can have your relaxation even if you are in your home. Try yoga. Also, maintain proper diet, sleep as much as 8 hours a day and most of all drink a lot water.

I spend have found that I am actually happier and more productive after including some physical activity in my daily routine. Its all about making it a habit. Getting away from the computer does good things for the body and mind.

I just started the Kettleworx kettle bell workout, too. I really like it - its quick, it is a great work out and you don't need much space at all. The day after I did the first workout I could barely move - its getting easier, but still a good workout.

Affiliate Manager Veena krishnappa's Avatar
    Smile
    To reduce the backache due to sitting for long hrs, its better u get up from your chair every hour and just walk around in your office itself.

When I was into aerobics, there was no pain whatsoever and this was before I joined a company as the Affiliate Manager.Now thanks to affiliate marketing - no aerobics and as a result - shoulder pain, neck pain, back pain etc.

I think a little workout is absolutely necessary, at least a morning or evening walk.

Cheers

When i'm really tired working long hours on my pc, I just turn on the music and dance.

The same issue with me..
    In my opinion, there are the following things which can take you out of stress:

1) Use a comfortable seat.
    2) Do not concentrating on the screen continuously.
    2) Keep your neck, hands and shoulders in movement after every 15 minutes, for instance left, right, up and down.
    3) When you feel yourself tired, enjoy good music or games.
    4) Learn to enjoy your work.

These tips will not let you feel tired.

Thanks, that's a good point.

I think a little workout is absolutely necessary, at least a morning or evening walk.

We should never take our body for granted.Tips to be healthy

1.Fix your deadlines,I mean you cant work all day, I usually stop working 3 hours before I go to sleep.
    2.Never start something interesting before the time you set for stop working,when you start something interesting you would be working well past the no work zone.
    3.Workout, Go to the gym, I tried working out at home but didn't get the results so I started going to the gym.I workout only in the mornings,usually lots of jogging with weights( on alternate days) and yoga( every day ). My aim is not a six pack but to remain fit.I can compete in a 10K run That fit now.
    4.Do some daily chores in home help out your mom or dad.

My school which stressed on the physical part of development as much as mental part so lucky in a way and this discipline is what you need to develop it rubs on to your work.

Health is Wealth.

I find time to do exercise early in the morning before I start my work. This helps me stay fit and healthy.

Agree with others suggestions. You need to set a working schedule and stick with it. This will help you know when to work and when to stop working.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast