Overstock Terminates Ca Affiliates
    Wow, someone just told me Overstock terminated California affiliates. Same planned for Hawaii, North Carolina and Rhode Island.

California budget bill is not even complete yet.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

If anyone can confirm this and maybe forward a copy of the email I'd appreciate it.I received an IM on this, than a link to a story in LA Times, then found a twitter on it.

story in LA Times http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5699232.story
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Saw this post and checked email - nothing;

Went to CJ internal email and found it -- termination effective 7/7/09.

Astounding that a major retailer like this cannot deal with collecting sales tax; like I comented a short time ago re CSN, they might as well just close their da** affiliate program, if they are just going to ax affiliates state-by-state.

California politics, especially concerning the budget. being what they are, there may not be a new budget passed for weeks, or months. Last year, der groppenfuhrer still had some credibility, and he was able to force a budget through. Now, he is totally impotent, and the dem-rep legislative factions could well be cutting each other's throats for a long, long time yet.

No budget - no Amazon tax.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    If anyone can confirm this and maybe forward a copy of the email I'd appreciate it.I received an IM on this, than a link to a story in LA Times, then found a twitter on it.

story in LA Times http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,5699232.story
    Overstock e-mail:
    Dear xxxxx,

We regret to inform you that the Commission Junction advertiser Overstock.com has chosen to expire its affiliation with you effective 7-Jul-2009.

If you would like to locate another advertiser in the network to partner with, login to your Account Manager (http //www dot cj dot com/login dot jsp) and visit the Get Links tab.

Best Regards,

Client Services
    Commission Junction
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Thanks AffiliateHound. I am sorry you are going through this.

If I can help please ask, I am working on this through Affiliate Voice and NYAffiliateVoice.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    Thanks AffiliateHound. I am sorry you are going through this.

If I can help please ask, I am working on this through Affiliate Voice and NYAffiliateVoice.
    Thanks to you - because of your sage advise, I have done a lot of preparation for this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Thanks to you - because of your sage advise, I have done a lot of preparation for this moment.
    That made me smile for the first time today. I am glad you were able to prepare. I wish more had done the same.
    Melanie
    Affiliate Advocacy

CJ Email: "We regret to inform you that the Commission Junction advertiser Instawares has chosen to expire its affiliation with you effective 6-Jul-2009."

I don't know if it's because I'm in California, or just because I've never generated any traffic or sales for them.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    CJ email: "We regret to inform you that the Commission Junction advertiser Instawares has chosen to expire its affiliation with you effective 6-Jul-2009."

I don't know if it's because I'm in California, or just because I've never generated any traffic or sales for them.
    I got that yesterday, and also figured it was because I've had zero to two sales with them (really don't remember). But, could be because of the likelihood of the tax.

Second, more informative, message, sent through regular email:
    June 30, 2009

Dear Affiliate:

We regret to inform you that the North Carolina, Rhode Island, California and Hawaii state legislatures have or are about to pass unconstitutional tax nexus and collection laws in an attempt to force Internet retailers to collect and remit sales tax on all sales to residents of these states.

These legislative measures purport to establish a state tax nexus on the basis of contracts with local advertising affiliates, even when none exists under U.S. Supreme Court precedent. Overstock.com, Inc. ("Overstock") has no tax nexus in any state other than Utah.

Due to the passage or eminent passage of these unconstitutional laws, Overstock regretfully must discontinue its relationships with all of its advertising affiliates in these states.

Accordingly, it is with reluctance that Overstock hereby gives notice of termination of your participation in Overstock?s Affiliate Program.

Any money owed to you, based on your advertising services prior to termination, will be paid in the normal course of business.

Overstock regrets that it has been put in this position. In the future should these laws be vetoed, declared unconstitutional, or repealed, we will cheerfully resume our former business relationship.

Respectfully,

Jonathan E. Johnson III
    President
    Overstock.com, Inc.

We're out here fighting a good fight, the bill hasn't even been voted on yet and Mr. Johnson III is already throwing us under the bus. So much for solidarity.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread