Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Okay, I have had it with giving free traffic to merchants after at least 100 clicks. So I'm going to put a list of cj merchants that I'm quite suspicious of. You may not agree with my list but that's what this forum is about. I would like your opinion on the following merchants after 100 clicks and no commissions or small commissions, which all had targeted traffic. These merchants I am not putting under a suspicious mode until I get your opinion, Also feel free to Add merchants to this list, so we all know which merchants to be careful of, these are from this year and last year, so Some merchants may not be in cj anymore. But this is a great list in case they move to a different affiliate program in the future.

123Inkjets.com
    2000freebies.com
    Animal Den
    Best Deal Magazines/Birddog Associates
    Big Dog Sportswear
    GadgetUniverse.com
    GiantRewards, Inc.- Deactivated from cj.
    Net Flip- They might still pay good, but they make $ from email addresses?
    PacSun.com
    Thesportsauthority.com Affiliates
    UnbeatableDeals.com(moved to Linkshare)
    Easy Wireless, Inc.
    FreeCondoms.com
    Half.com
    Jackpot.com
    PC Mall
    thefreegiftcenter.com

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

I agree about 123Inkjets. Time for me to drop them.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

Every day is a chance to learn something new and a opportunity to teach someone else.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Was going to say Gadget universe was Ok, but decided to recheck my stats.
    They have some niche products that should have converted for my site. Reviewing things further though shows around 600 total clicks 0 sales. Guess they will be my next merchant to try to replace.
    Will have to find some of these products which may be difficult.
    WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

Thanks for the opinions.

(bump)

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Animal Den is cool as far as I know. I have regular sales with them.

Vicki [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

But if the arrow is straight and the point is slick,
    It can pierce through dust no matter how thick. dylan

My stats for Nov. '02

123Inkjets = 473 clicks, 18 orders, $907.05 in sales, $326.54 for me.

BestDealMagazines = 1,596 clicks, 263 orders, $4,551.06 in sales, $910.21 for me

I recommend keeping those a little longer.

I can't say much about the others. I do get quite a few sales at Half.com but I know that some sales do not report, such as my own even though I was a new customer. Half.com also reports a few days behind as batched transactions so unless you look at old reports, you won't see them.

ABW Ambassador
    100 clicks does not *sound* too good, but I must say that some of my biggest, steadiest month-after-month checks come from merchants who convert at less than 1-in-100 clicks.

If the 100 clicks is coming over a span of time - say 100 per month or so, chances are that they are merely curious clicks. If you are delivering 100 clicks in a day without sales conversions, then there may bee a problem.

100 clicks overall is not enough of a sampling upon which to make a decision.

All around the mulberry bush the monkey chased the weasel

Thanks for the information... I'll give Best Deal magazines another chance.

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

ABW Ambassador
    I only have one link, on the front page of my site for bagsforless.com, that has brought 1,663 click-throughs, and no sales so far this year! I had a CJ rep check the link to make sure it was working, and it was just fine.

On anther note; one of my best converters could mess up a wet dream right about now - youcansave.com - with being deactivated during such a crucial time during the year. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]

Big Chuck

ABW Ambassador
    The only one in that list that I have experience with is PC Mall, whcih is doing ok for me (pretty good actually considering they don't haven't updated their product links).

My own list of bad CJ merchants would be too long to post, but I am down to less than 50 active relationships now, and will trim thatin half by 2003.

CJ has gone down hill since the new CEO took over (and Lex did not exactly set the bar very high).

(Oh, but I do like CJ for the consolidated payments. HA HA!)

How about TheMobileRepublic.com: 4,976 clicks. Zero sales. 7-day EPC $0.00. Chargeback 52.40%.

Меня зовут Динаму

Jason,

You might want to try PacSun over at Pefromics, for the fact that at CJ I have had 216 clickthroughs and 0 sales, but with Performics I have had 3 sales with them there. I believe if spyware is involved, they are only using CJ's Pacsun banners and links. For some reason, alot of my merchants at CJ are lowsy for me except for shoe stores. My commissions mostly are coming from various shoe merchants such as Zappos, Shoes.com, Footsmart and Shoe-Shop.com. I am doing very well with these merchants.

And sorry to hear that Dynamoo, have you dropped this merchant? I would.

Michael [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

ABW Ambassador
    Dynamoo
    4,976 clicks. Zero sales

You should have dropped them a long time ago.
    After 100 clicks and no sales i keep a closer look.
    After 200 i have my finger on the drop button.
    No sales after 300 clicks, i push that button.

Sales are everywhere, sales are mine.

Jason,

Jackpot.com scooted from CJ over a year and a half ago owing people money. Are ya sure you mean Jackpot and not another gaming site?

Outsourced Program Manager Bryan Rhodes's Avatar
    A question from a merchant:

Are you contacting the AM's at these companies before dropping them?

I'm curious because we have had poor results with some affiliates, 2 sales per 1000 clicks or worse, while other affiliates convert at 2 sales per 100 clicks or better.

Often when I track down an underperforming site they really aren't sending us targeted traffic. The best example was a site that had keywords like "fake oakley sunglasses" or "cheap sunglasses" and promised the "lowest prices on the net." None of those things are true about our site. It was an easy correction and once the traffic was truly targeted they started converting.

So I'm just wondering what effort affiliates are making to contact merchants when things aren't right.

Regards,

Bryan

Bryan Rhodes
    Affiliate Marketing Manager
    BackcountryStore.com
    Phone: (435) 657 2468 ex. 116

Yes I mean jackpot.com.. They used to convert, but not anymore. I have contacted several Merchants on why my traffic didn't convert and I did not even get a response from them.

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

The problem I have with TheMobileRepublic is that I built an entire site around their products. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I'm going to give them until Christmas (the commission rate *is* huge) and then find someone else. I get a CTR of 24% though. It's very odd.

Sometimes merchants don't convert for ages. I had one that didn't convert at all for 1000 clicks but is now one of my best performers.

I'm not sure 100 clicks is enough to judge a merchant by. I guess almost 5000 clicks without a sale might indicate a problem though [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Меня зовут Динаму

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Are you contacting the AM's at these companies before dropping them?

Nope. I rely on experience.

Besides, most AMs won't respond if you were not converting for them anyways. There is usually just a generic affiliates@ email box that gets dumped when it is full.

On this 100 clicks thing, I thought I'd do some sums.

I have a merchant that converts at only 0.2% but still has an EPC for me of $1.18. There's a 82% probability that a merchant with that CR won't convert in the first 100 clicks. However, this merchant has special circumstances in that it's a UK merchant that only accepts UK orders.

A merchant with a more typical CR of 1% would have a 37% probability of NOT converting in the first 100 clicks, a 13% probability of not converting in 200 clicks and a 4.9% probability of not converting in 300 clicks.

So in other words, maybe leave it for 200 or so clicks before dropping the merchant. And remember that you can get a reasonable EPC with a very low CR if you target the right products.

[Incidentally I may have dissed TheMobileRepublic more than I should - they batch process transactions monthly and most of my clicks have been since the last batch was done.. fingers crossed]

Меня зовут Динаму

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Dynamoo run your probability analysis on this CJ merchant who I've warned on many occassions they're either 100% committed to parasites or can't get their Yahoo store to reports sales to CJ. CJ had no reply and the AM begged for more Christmas exposure.

eHobbies.com commissions=$33.63 orders=4 returns=0 clicks=3,829 impressions=286,935 CTR=0.014 $0.12 0.001 EPC=$0.88

WebMaster Mike

"Vision without Action is a daydream .. Action without vision can be a nightmare"
    Combine the two and you have the makings of a profitable reality!

Well probability analysis only really works for the future, but a CR of 0.1% without special circumstances is so low as to be laughable, assuming that you're sending them at least vaguely targetted traffic.

I wouldn't touch a Yahoo store merchant with a bargepole frankly - if they're not technically up to running their own store, how on earth are they going to keep up with a complex program like CJ's?

Меня зовут Динаму

I was looking for a decent camera merchant, and one of them I looked at had reversed 100% of commissions for the last 2 months and was routinely reversing 70-80% for months prior to that. Why does CJ let these merchants continue to rip off Publishers (plus CJs commissions)? Seems like CJ still needs to clean out their shady merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    Both of these convert for me, but it's extremely precise traffic only. Both are sporatic at best.

Animal Den
    GadgetUniverse.com

The rest on your list either I didn't use, or like you sent many click and got nothing so moved on.

But I make special notation of this one:

PacSun.com

I sent over 1,200 clicks with not a single sale. This was from reasonably targetted traffic to boot: Outdoors, extreme sports, beach wear people, etc. Definitely not "general audience."

If I could ever have the data at my disposal, I'd tell you what I really think about pacsun. In the mean time, look at 1200 clicks and zero sales and figure it out.

Oh, and when I complained, pulled all my links, 2 months later they dropped me.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

quote:
    I wouldn't touch a Yahoo store merchant with a bargepole frankly - if they're not technically up to running their own store, how on earth are they going to keep up with a complex program like CJ's?

lololol

A couple of things about TheSportsAuthority ...

In general, they are not one of my best producers, but they do give me an occasional sale. And in February, they gave me my absolute best experience in affiliate marketing up to that time, when I promoted the U.S. Olympic beret for them. I made more off of that product than I had ever made before in an entire month across all my merchants.

Then, a month later, about 95% of those sales were reversed. I was expecting some reversals because ship time was projected to be 4 to 6 weeks, but not 95%. But I contacted them, they checked it out, and gave me my commissions back after shipments actually took place. (I ended up with about 10% reversals).

My conclusion ... yes, there is an opportunity with TSA if you find the right product mix, and get it in front of the right audience, and I feel like I can trust them ,,, but keep on eye on reversals. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

- Ed

"It's my hope that you'll come to appreciate the past should not be forgotten. It should be cherished, and run late-night, in syndication, after the local news." (Orange County)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast