More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Bing: The New Google Competitor?
    I was looking through the stats of a fairly new site. I see referrals by bing.com at a rate of 25% of my google referrals. Just heard about this search engine (billed as a "decision engine") the other day so I was surprised to see it show up as #2 in my stats for search engines.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    "Bing" is MSN's newest attempt to make an impact in the SE biz. As well as with natural search, if you are using MSNAdCenter for ppc, your referrals will now show as Bing rather than MSN or Live.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    It's just the MSN search engine/Live rebranded as Bing basically, some cosmetic changes. But I do see them promoting it a lot more, they're spending some money, so people probably checking it out.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Ah, I see. But, when I compared the proportion of traffic for June 08 of MSN to Google vs June 09 of Bing to Google, Bing is about 3 times higher than MSN. (I used stats from my highest traffic site)

Time to take a new look at my MSN PPC.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

They're certainly not going to push Google out of the picture but I've got a feeling that they'll manage to grab up a little bit more market share.

One thing that has happened to me, so I would imagine probably the same for many others and good for all of us... a few of my sites that had been banned during the big purge back in 2003 are back in the index.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Check out the Bing Cashback shopping portal. More competition for Affiliates.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?...n-US&FORM=BPFD

Relevant product ad links on the homepage (lower left) relevant to the featured photo. At least there is no toolbar, at least that I could find..

Hasn't MSN already been doing that cashback shopping portal for a while now?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Hmmm I am not sure. But the Bing branded portal caught my eye the other day, so I registered to take a closer look.

ABW Ambassador
    The cashback will bring some people in but that's not new either, MSN has had that.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10277113-2.html

"Microsoft's share of the search market increased from 7.81 percent prior to the launch of Bing to 8.23 percent for the month of June, according to data from Statcounter picked up by Reuters. Bing got a noticeable bounce during the first few weeks of June, but settled back after the novelty wore off."

It's going to help just with all the advertising they're doing, so they might have a jump of a few points but in the end, when it comes to the core of Bing, search, it's still the same as it ever was. I still wouldn't use it because I've always thought they were the worst of the big 3 and it still looks that way to me. I don't see what they have that would make a long time Google user, switch. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    Hasn't MSN already been doing that cashback shopping portal for a while now?
    Yep, just a rebranding.

When the inevitable Yahoo!-Microsoft marriage/takeover is finally consumated, it will be interesting to see how it all melds together.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I have been keeping an eye on Bing for a few weeks now, since their launch.

Google has been hanging around 36.5% ( 2417 terms )

Bing & Search.Live are evenly divided at about 7% combined. ( 550 terms )

I'm not seeing any miracles in the near future.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

This is a good read - as usual, Microsoft is trying to be something to everyone.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._overload.html

i am not very impressed with Bing - although I am getting some traffic from them - so more power to bing

Action Jackson - King of the World
    I haven't looked recently but haven't seen much from them yet.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread