Merchants dropping NC affiliates like hotcakes
    Edit post title: I meant to say "Merchants dropping affiliates"

I have been reading a lot lately about amazon and other merchants dropping NC affiliates due to the new tax law there. This didn't happen to NY affiliates. Does anyone know if the NC tax law is different than the NY tax law? If it is the same, why are they being dropped and NY affiliates aren't? I am getting very nervous now that NY affiliates are going to start getting dropped.
    Last edited by loxly; July 2nd, 2009 at 10:17 PM.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    You probably need to go to this thread that has been going on for months...

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=117755

Good luck!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

http and a telephoto
    Plenty of merchants dropped NYS affiliates... Amazon is pretty much the only "big guy" that didn't.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Thanks for the link.

> "I have been reading a lot lately about amazon and other merchants dropping NC affiliates due to the new tax law there. This didn't happen to NY affiliates. Does anyone know if the NC tax law is different than the NY tax law? If it is the same, why are they being dropped and NY affiliates aren't? I am getting very nervous now that NY affiliates are going to start getting dropped." <

Huh? Hundreds of merchants terminated their advertising relationships with New York web publishers last year, as noted in the long-running thread cited above (http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=117755).

About a dozen merchants have announced that they're terminating their North Carolina publishers so far, but it's very early (I don't even think the law has been enacted yet). Hundreds more merchants will join that list in the next few weeks and months. See the list at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=121239

I guess I posted this because overall I was not affected too much by the merchants that dropped NY affiliates. I personally only lost a handful of merchants. I was lucky because the majority of merchants I used were keeping NY affiliates. However, Amazon is a big one, so when I heard they dropped NC affiliates, I posted here.

Why would Amazon drop NC affiliates and not NY affiliates?

janet21 asked: > "Why would Amazon drop NC affiliates and not NY affiliates?" <

Most of us believe that Amazon was surprised and "caught" (gotcha!) by the last-minute and retroactive enactment of the New York "Amazon Tax" (Advertising-Nexus Tax Law) as part of an emergency budget bill last summer. There's some discussion of this at http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=121088 (starting at posts #10-12).

This also explains why Amazon and other merchants terminated their advertising relationships with North Carolina, Rhode Island, and Hawaii web publishers before those states had enacted the bills into law. And it explains why these merchants are not rushing to restore those relationships with Hawaii publishers until after the time expires for the Hawaii legislature to override the governor's veto.

Over 247 merchants dropped NY Affiliates last year.
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

I guess I was very lucky then. Only one affiliate I worked with dropped me. And, now I am working with them again since they were bought by a company that is collecting the tax.

Quote Originally Posted by janet21
    I guess I posted this because overall I was not affected too much by the merchants that dropped NY affiliates. I personally only lost a handful of merchants. I was lucky because the majority of merchants I used were keeping NY affiliates. However, Amazon is a big one, so when I heard they dropped NC affiliates, I posted here.

Why would Amazon drop NC affiliates and not NY affiliates?
    I'm only speculating, but I don't think at the time the N.Y. law was enacted Amazon expected other states would follow along so quickly. There are so many constitutional issues over this they probably thought there would be more analysis done. Another thing is NY is taking a very narrow approach whereas other states appear to be running amuck. And perhaps Amazon discovered administering the tax was more work than it anticipated and when faced with an explosion of new tax collection, decided it wouldn't be worth it.

Had Amazon dropped its N.Y. affiliates at the time that would have slowed things down. Unfortunately, I've heard several N.C. legislators make statements indicating they don't believe Amazon will permanently drop their affiliates if the law is passed specifically because Amazon stayed in N.Y.

Quote Originally Posted by mellie
    Over 247 merchants dropped NY Affiliates last year.
    Mellie,

Is there a master list which includes all 247 merchants who dropped NY affiliates? I see this list but it only has around 50. Is there a more updated list out there?

Thanks~

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread