Question Help With Domain & Webhosting
    I have a thread posted in the "Site Review" section(link probably not allowed here) that members can also take a look in more detail in what I'm asking for help. I'm gonna just use my most recent post from that topic here & hopefully someone can provide me with some great suggestions:

Hey again fellow members. I've decided for sure to purchase a domain & hosting for my blogging. While I've spent a lot of time recently with my new website I'm serious about AM. I need to make this move to start heading in the right direction for gaining income.

I have been researching here & all over the net about webhosting & domains. Loxly had already told me it doesn't cost much to get & up & running and she's right. I just don't know for sure what place to buy my domain from & also the webhosting as well. I was told to purchase each one from a different place. I've read about several places to get a domain & also for webhosting.

I've also looked into the HTML editing side more as well. I'm a long way from being ready for web development with using the total HTML system. I do know most of the basics now though. I think I wanna get a domain in which I have simple help like from Blogger with placing stuff into the site for you. I'm not looking for a site to totally control on my own since I'm not real comfortable with HTML yet. I'm working on that though. I want a site that has SiteBuilder software too.

Please feel free to guide me to any suggested places to buy my domain & webhosting. I'm looking at $10 for the domain & no more than $5-$10/month for webhosting. I'm wanting to make sure there's no downtime or very little(99%+) with my new site. Something else I'm wanting help with is a name for my created site.

I created my current blog with some research into "keywords" but really not enough time put into it for better traffic I believe. I wanna create a title that is focused on SEO(Search Engine Optimization) but not mislead my viewers. I have brainstormed on a few titles I have in mind. I will provide those ideas later in this post.

Traffic at my current site has been up & down. Hey, that's expected because my site is new & just getting going from search engine indexing anyhow. I will be exporting my current blog(articles,not URL title) in this thread to my newly created site. Please take a closer look at my site & give me some opinions on what I should have in my URL title for all the search engines.

My current site has been added to all search engines possible. I have an odd & long title especially with the (www) without a (.) since I forgot to remove that from Blogger upon registering the site. I will be advertising in a couple ways from the new site. One will be a carryover from Blogger. This will be Google Adsense. However, my seriousness is now in the AM side. I haven't registered with any AM networks with my current blog.

I'm wanting to get my own domain first with webhosting. This should get the attention of marketers that I'm serious about it, right? Could I still use AM from my free my Blogger site too? I'd like to have both sites going for marketing the products I'm interested in advertising. I'd be keeping both sites update regularly as well.

I have used keywords search tool to try & give me a better idea of a URL title but can't seem to come up with one that matches SEO & what will be matching my sites content. I'd like something to distinguish my content from others but not suffer from low traffic. Below I have a few in mind but please feel free to give me better suggestions.

I wanna keep it as short as possible but not suffer from keywords optimization. Ideas listed below:

prostateguide.net
    prostatezone.net
    guidetoprostatehealth.net
    prostatefears.net
    prostateworry.net
    betterprostatehealth.net
    menshealth-prostatesupport.net
    managingtheprostate.net
    controllingtheprostate.net

BTW, I don't know if any of these titles may be taken either. Should I go with .net or .com as well?

If at all possible go with a .com and avoid dashes. Shorter is better but you'll most likely not get a 2 or 3 word domain in that market. Use modifiers on base names to see if they are available. Modifiers being an english word at the beginning or end of the primary keywords.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

> "Modifiers being an english word at the beginning or end of the primary keywords." <

Two prefixes that I sometimes use are "best" and "all" (e.g. "bestprostatehealth" or "allprostateguide," using your examples). For a suffix, words like "stuff" or "info" or "price[s]" might work ("prostatehealthstuff" or "bestprostateinfo"). You can also use multiple prefixes and suffixes, as in the last example. Some suffixes work well for product keywords (e.g. "bestcalendarprices"). Obviously, there might be some legal ramifications for some words (for example, "BestProstateRemedy" might be viewed as a health claim that might trigger FTC or FDA regulatory action).

I agree with the theory that dot-com is better than dot-net, and hyphens should generally be avoided (unless you're relying exclusively on PPC search, where the hyphens sometimes work better). But it's not a perfect world, and about half of my active domains have either hyphens or a non-dot-com extension.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    If at all possible go with a .com and avoid dashes. Shorter is better but you'll most likely not get a 2 or 3 word domain in that market. Use modifiers on base names to see if they are available. Modifiers being an english word at the beginning or end of the primary keywords.
    The dashes are IN K01, for very geo-targeted terms.

I think anyone starting a new site in this atmosphere, and on a limited budget, ARE COMPELLED to be PPC sites.

Very few content related niches available.

No one is going to type it in, but very targeted terms will get indexed with pinpoint accuracy!

Dashes, Title, Tags, and Keyword Relevancy ...

My 2 cents .....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    The dashes are IN K01, for very geo-targeted terms.
    I do a lot with geo, in fact I bought 3 more this week. Closing in on 200 city keyword domains, won't buy a dash, it's simply not memorable enough. Not true affiliate marketing, but for brand purposes.

I've heard the engines are quite happy with a domain that has dashes. But they are equally happy without dashes. I don't want to risk my business on what the search engines are going to like or not like next year. I've worked too long and too hard to chase the search engine flavor of the month. When someone finds my site(s), I want them to be able to easily remember them and type them in directly.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Don't want to get into a deep discussion about this in this thread, but will say this ...

WorldsGreatestName.com, that has been around for years will get a better listing in Google (and other SE's) than Worlds-Greatest-Name.com that has been around for a year and has little content .....

But it will get indexed well for the term "worlds greatest name" if the owner has any SEO talent at all.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! I like some of the unique URL suggestions provided by markwelch. This gives me some more ideas for a title. The only PPC revenue I have going right now with my Blogger site is Google Adsense.

When I get this new site I will be using Adsense but my main focus will be then on Affiliate Marketing. Traffic to my current site has went down in the past 2 days. My CTR for Adsense is now down to 0.82%. It was at 1.80% about 3 days ago. I haven't been going but a few days though.

I've started using article submission to help with traffic hopefully. Thanks for all the suggestions & information. More posts or comments are welcomed. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Don't want to get into a deep discussion about this in this thread, but will say this ...

WorldsGreatestName.com, that has been around for years will get a better listing in Google (and other SE's) than Worlds-Greatest-Name.com that has been around for a year and has little content .....

But it will get indexed well for the term "worlds greatest name" if the owner has any SEO talent at all.
    Are you saying using the name "worlds greatest name.com" exact URL with spaces will give a better SEO result? Thanks!

No Longer Banned!
    Thumbs up Where to Buy Domain Names And Hosting.....
    I would buy my domain right here for 8 bucks, and my hosting from icdSoft for 56 bucks a year.

I am thrilled with this choice.

Haikos domains are top notch and icdSoft has the best ticketing system ever created.

icdSoft also supports all kinds of software too.

Hope this helps !

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

http and a telephoto
    Spaces aren't allowed in domain names. And when you are thinking about registering specific domain names it isn't generally a good idea to list them *anywhere* publicly. Chances are someone will snatch them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Spaces aren't allowed in domain names. And when you are thinking about registering specific domain names it isn't generally a good idea to list them *anywhere* publicly. Chances are someone will snatch them.
    Thanks for letting me know spaces aren't allowed. Where would be some good place(s) to register my site securely so the public can't gain access to steal my site? Thanks!

No Longer Banned!
    Lightbulb Poach Mark Dot Com ??...
    Quote Originally Posted by tonybologna
    Thanks for letting me know spaces aren't allowed. Where would be some good place(s) to register my site securely so the public can't gain access to steal my site? Thanks!
    Tony

Have you tried Poach Mark ?

Haiko has an ad here for them. Perhaps you can encrypt your code ?

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

there is a tool on godaddy that lets you enter up to 500 different domain names to see which ones are available (called something like bulk domain registration). other sites probably have similar tools. this is a big help when you are trying to find the perfect domain. superCool builds a spreadsheet with all the possible words in different columns and then mixes and matches the columns and copies the combinations into a text file. then you can put them all in at once and see which ones are available. you can click on the .com, .net, etc. and it will check them all.

you don't have to register with godaddy if you don't want to.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by superCool
    there is a tool on godaddy that lets you enter up to 500 different domain names to see which ones are available (called something like bulk domain registration). other sites probably have similar tools. this is a big help when you are trying to find the perfect domain. superCool builds a spreadsheet with all the possible words in different columns and then mixes and matches the columns and copies the combinations into a text file. then you can put them all in at once and see which ones are available. you can click on the .com, .net, etc. and it will check them all.

you don't have to register with godaddy if you don't want to.

good luck
    Thanks for telling me this! I was leaning towards purchasing a domain from GoDaddy anyhow. Now, I have an even bigger reason for considering them. I think I'm gonna go with Gator though as my hosting provider. Thanks!

Has anybody tried or uses Yahoo small business? Their prices especially for a beginner are higher than most & I'd be getting both the domain & hosting from them as well. Just wanted some opinions.

I'm still searching for a domain & hosting service but recently have been just researching AM in general. I have poked through a few domain & hosting sites but haven't made any decisions. HostGator seems to be popular along with GoDaddy as the domain provider. Thanks!

I chose Yahoo Small Business hosting for a client's business, and it was one of the worst choices I've ever made. Don't do it. You can read about some of my experiences with Yahoo Small Business here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ighlight=yahoo

Lots of folks here recommend HostGator; I haven't used them. I've been using VPS accounts at eApps for a couple of years, and I am satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I chose Yahoo Small Business hosting for a client's business, and it was one of the worst choices I've ever made. Don't do it. You can read about some of my experiences with Yahoo Small Business here: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ighlight=yahoo

Lots of folks here recommend HostGator; I haven't used them. I've been using VPS accounts at eApps for a couple of years, and I am satisfied.
    Thanks for letting me know! Yahoo was just a consideration. I'm looking at HostGator & probably either GoDaddy or namecheap.com as my domain choice. Thanks!

I use Godaddy and HostGator and recommend them highly - good price and quick/effective service. I also recommend separating your registrar and hosting service - I've never had any problem but have read many horror stories here

what about yourprostatehealth.com
    I am pretty sure thats available...
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

Godaddy is fine. Lunarpages is fine too but to my experience if you have a good business hosting or vps, support is very kind with you.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread