Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    Alright, I'm new at this. I plan on promoting Sharasale all I can since they seem to be one of the safest as far as being parasite free and all, but now I've hit a small problem. The site I'm working on is about halfway finished, but I'm lacking some much needed products. I've gotten about half of them from a Sharasale merchant, and I still need something a little different that I can't seem to find there.

I haven't checked out CJ or any of the others yet since I'm still uncertain if I should go that route or search the net for maybe an indy or even a large company (even though that may not stop the parasites even if they were a large "respectable" company).

I kind of need this other product line since without it I have to use a different set of keywords which means one of my primary competitors will be the merchant I plan on using. If I can get more products, I can diversify more.

I was just wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction on how you might go about finding merchants.

ABW Ambassador
    What do you want to sell?

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

ABW Ambassador
    Please don't be offended, I'm still new here, and I'd rather keep that info to myself for now. My goal is to target the search engines for nice areas that aren't over saturated, and if I mention it... well, who knows how many people might like the idea. Then again, I'm new, so it could be a crummy idea.

I was just wondering though of a general idea of how to go about finding good merchants and what to look for. I know there is a ton of info at abw about it, but I'm just wondering about people's personal opinions and ideas that they are willing to share.

Ecomcity... any ideas? You seem to be pretty educated on the subject. If you do reply, go easy, I'm new.

Thanks everyone

bpal,

Hum let me sound like you!

YOU: Doctor a part on my body hurts. I want to run faster but this part on my body is keeping me from reaching my goals.

Doctor: What part of your body hurts?

YOU: I want to keep that information to myself as you may figure it out and out run me!

What exactly is wrong with you?

SandraR
    <font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    To find an indie merchant in your niche go to one of the search engines and type in product affiliates. Replace the word product with the name of the specific product you are interested in promoting.

Depending on how narrow the niche is you may have to refine your search - such as put product affiliate program or something similar - to find a merchant.

Good luck,
    Kip

ABW Ambassador
    I know Sandra, I'm kinda beating around the bush and it doesn't make much sense. This is all just so new to me. Each idea I get I really have to work hard at since at this point I don't have much going for me affiliate-wise.

Thanks, Kip. I'll check around for that. I guess I just need to dive in and if one merchant doesn't work, replace them. I'm hoping to have a few on the site to begin anyway. Keeping the eggs in different baskets and trying to diversify within the same area.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I know Sandra, I'm kinda beating around the bush and it doesn't make much sense. This is all just so new to me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>You were absolutely right by not giving up your information. You gave out enuf and you got your answer. Search for the products you want to sell and you'll find them and the merchants who'll affiliate with you . . . best of luck

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Entreprenuer is French for a person who cannot hold a job~!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Another lurker here seeking "Tricks for Clicks" and SE spamming methods to eliminate the work necessary to build out a web site.

Might I suggest leveraging the newbee tried and true combo... trademark/brand/product + coupon route.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

ABW Ambassador
    Well heaven forbid then if his sites get posted on the WORLD WIDE WEB where EVERYBODY will be able to see.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My goal is to target the search engines for nice areas <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bpal:
    How do I not get ripped off?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The only way to never get ripped off is to never take a chance.

The only way to never have a broken heart is to never love.

The only way to never fail is to never attempt anything.

Just because a merchant is parasite free won't guarantee results. In general, parasite free merchants should (and usually do) perform better than merchants with parasites, but it really depends on the individual merchants and your site.

The only way you can find out what merchants will work best for you is to try a bunch of different merchants.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

bpal,

Do as others have suggested. Search for the products you are looking for on the SEs, and add the word affiliate to the search. This will hopefully show you which merchants carry those products, and also have an affiliate program.

Once you find the merchants, do a search for them here on ABW. That will uncover most of the scoundrels. When you find one that looks good, go to the parasite sites and look for the page that lists the merchants they feature to see if your merchant is listed there.

This will give you most of the information you need to determine if you want to promote them or not. They still might not do much for you, sometimes it's hit or miss until you find the right combo that works.

Best of luck with your new site!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Another lurker here seeking "Tricks for Clicks" and SE spamming methods to eliminate the work necessary to build out a web site. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike go have another coffee WTF was wrong with an enquiry they made to prompt this post

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

don't forget seasonal aspects of marketing.

get to work.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

ABW Ambassador
    THANK YOU walleye warrior

I've been sitting here wondering the same thing and wanted to comment.

Posts like that add NO VALUE to ABW.

Pure diarrhea post as usual from BIRD BOY.
    Not even close to being helpful.

Mike Mackin

Uh yeah. I was sitting here wondering what Mike knows about bpal that I don't know. If nothing, that was uncalled for.

Don't put negative thoughts in peoples heads about someone that might be a really nice person unless you for a fact know something bad about them. If you do know something bad, out with it. Give them a chance to defend themselves against something concrete rather than vague implications. It isn't right.

At the very least, preface your comment with, "I think this might be....", please.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!
    Affiliates, before you use CJ merchants, Read This! Comments are to be interpreted as opinion unless otherwise noted.

ABW Ambassador
    Why are people surprised? Mike has done this many times before, attack people for no reason.

"I plan on promoting Sharasale all I can since they seem to be one of the safest as far as being parasite free and all, "

See, good intentions and just asking how to find merchants.

"Another lurker here seeking "Tricks for Clicks" and SE spamming methods to eliminate the work necessary to build out a web site."

Sad Mike.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I'm new here and just starting out in this affiliate thingy. I sure don't want to get ripped off and heard through the grape vine that SAS is the only network not tolerating BHO parasites. Being a newbee I've researched a verticle market that mysteriously gets lot's of searches without much competition. Being a newbee I need to find some affiliate enabled merchants who have products for 15 other PPCSE and SEO/SEM word combinations I've already determined are part of my commission engine. Being new at this I don't want to fool with 2nd party Dropshippers or filling in the missing keyword pieces with links to merchants carrying the secret products if I can't be assured I get paid on every order I refer to them.

All the above are legitimate concerns for anyone who isn't a NEWBEE. No problem picking our brains, but spare me the newbee spin. I've had potential clients representing even foreign ecommerce alliance trade groups use this newbee ploy to get complete upfront disclosure of a viable hosted ebiz plan without a penny in fees getting paid.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

ABW Ambassador
    SandraR too, but she posted at 03:36 AM and i know how she is at that time, big butthead

If you got a product you think is hot or idea you think is hot it would be dumb to post it on a board full of your competitors. So bpal you did the right thing.

As far as finding merchants for the products you want to push, what was mentioned above.

Edited because i saw mike posted again.
    Mike good attempt at spin but most of the stuff you posted, bpal didn't even ask about. Did you even read the first post? bpal's question is how to find merchants, that's it.

How do relate a question on how to find merchants as being bad or having bad intentions?

Of coures bpal is a newbie, this comment gave it away:

"Ecomcity... any ideas? You seem to be pretty educated on the subject. If you do reply, go easy, I'm new"

Anybody who would ask you on how to be successful at affiliate marketing must be a newbie. I was a newbie once here too, but was smart enough to listen to people who were actually successful at this.

bpal,

First off your already learning being new or not to the game. I agree with Trust, If you have something that you think a lot of other people don't then absolutely keep it to yourself. The question was asked perfectly and too bad you got a couple of negative responses meant just to flame. The others I agree with

The first place I always look is like you did, is at SAS for the fact that Brian does have ethical practices and has proved it. They also have quite a few good merchants to choose from. As for not checking CJ or the others, nothing wrong with checking CJ and the others, indys and so on. There are good merchants and bad merchants at all of the networks. I suggest you try several different ones and see which ones convert. As for the ones to stay away from. If you find one your not sure about, I'm sure you can type their name in the search here at ABW and if their that bad a post will probably pop up about them. JMO of course and good luck

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

I also thought SandraR and Mike were being a bit rough on this person, I thought perhaps they knew something I didn't.

But if this person is truly a newbie, they certainly didn't receive a very warm welcome to ABW, and personally I don't think that's the image ABW wants to present to new members.

Andy

TrustNo1,

I am a buttthead at 3:00 am when I read someone asking for help and yet being so darned evasive. bpal could have simply said I am interested in finding a Sportswear (example) merchant for my new niche area. Any help please.

All this cloak and dagger stuff is stupid. His site will be viewed, if he’s lucky, by millions of people. When I read a question written in a cloak and dagger manner it just irks the crap out of me.

SandraR
    <font size="1" face="Arial">| SSAN &amp; AIM: SSanAssistance | MSN &amp; Yahoo: SSan_Assistance |</font></p>

ABW Ambassador
    I don't see how finding a sportswear merchant is any different than finding an electronics, jewelry merchant etc. I think they wanted just basic info on how to go about it. I think sometimes newbies give out a little too much info. I told Jason this in the past but he doesn't listen. I told him if he put his url in his sig and then comes on this board telling everybody how great he's doing with a certain merchant, others will just go to his site and see how he promotes them successfully and copy it. It's good to be general sometimes.

I work in lounge pants

I agree with Trust. Sometimes I'm surprised at the amount of information others provide here at ABW. You don't see Ford driving a new planned car design around the GM headquarters! We need to strive to be helpful, but the details don't necessarily need to be provided. Generalities should provide adequate information to get a response.

Andy

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> First off your already learning being new or not to the game. I agree with Trust, If you have something that you think a lot of other people don't then absolutely keep it to yourself. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dittos to what Packster and the other non-flamers said. Ignore those who want to be generous with YOUR ideas! Just because they apparently don't mind finding a previously-open niche becoming crammed with competitors who never would have thought of it on their own, doesn't mean that you should make an idiot move.

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Dont quit your day job then, you wont have to worry about being ripped off!

On a serious note if you want help you need to ask for the specific help you need...

if you are not willing to do that dont ask!

as for your secrecy....

give me a break!!

there are no new ideas,,,,

every member of ABW could steal your idea... and you could still make more sales then you could handle!

this is after all the WORLD WIDE WEB!

boy do i feel much better... have a nice day.....

Joe

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast