Possibilities of running against legislators supporting affiliate tax in NC
    Has anyone here had anyone mention to them the possibility of planning a run against those legislators that are supporting this Affiliate Tax in the next election cycle? There might be a move to encourage those business people affected by this affiliate tax or the proposed sales tax on services to see if they could run against those in support of the measures.

Either in the primary or general election?

I have had that suggested to me and the possibility that there might be funding available for such runs.

Do you think it would be possible to make a list of those House and Senate members that are supporting the measure (or that appear ambivalent)?

Thanks,

Avery

Quote Originally Posted by ajparker
    Do you think it would be possible to make a list of those House and Senate members that are supporting the measure (or that appear ambivalent)?

Thanks,

Avery
    Sounds like some work, but a good idea. Any takers for this task?

Another thing to consider - as online marketers we generally are good at optimizing content for search engines (my hat is white and I do quite well). Perhaps someone can set up a site or use part of an existing site to document all this.

I'd gladly do it if I had the time.

That's a good point - hopefully we would be able to get such a site found....

AJP

Last election results available through the board of elections : http://results.enr.clarityelections....n/summary.html (general election)

http://results.enr.clarityelections....n/summary.html
    (primary election)

The main election results page from previous cycles can be found at the following page http://www.sboe.state.nc.us/content.aspx?id=69

It might be a good starting point for research. Many districts are traditionally uncontested in either the primary or general election. (In some cases both...)

AJP

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ajparker
    Many districts are traditionally uncontested in either the primary or general election. (In some cases both...)

AJP
    Gnerally speaking, these can be the most difficult to unseat. They have their tenecals so deeply embedded in the fabric of the community so that they are like the "God father"

Are you proposing a political move?? I may be of some help.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    Gnerally speaking, these can be the most difficult to unseat. They have their tenecals so deeply embedded in the fabric of the community so that they are like the "God father"

Are you proposing a political move?? I may be of some help.
    It had been suggested to me that so many don't face opposition that a political move might be more likely to gain attention.

I don't know that there are that many that are unopposed because they have that much power in their district - it may just be that it hasn't occurred to anyone to run against them. Many districts may be gerrymandered to favor one party or the other, but if that's the case then the primary could be made more interesting.

Since most peoples focus is usually on Federal Representation I think many people take their state representation for granted until that state representation starts doing things that affect their lives and businesses in adverse ways.

In other words I think many are uncontested out of complacency on the part of their constituents, and as a result some of the representatives may become complacent as well (and feel comfortable in their position). If they realize that support of this would make their position less assured and mean opposition in the primaries or general election (or maybe both) they would 1) realize the affect that this vote must be having on peoples livelihood and 2) recognize that the calls/emails/letters have been serious and the people will put their "money where their mouth is" with the goal that they may 3) more carefully consider the impact of supporting this measure.

AJP

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread