Who are all of these websites that grab search engine listings and display them on their site in order to rank well for keywords? I am seeing 30,000 results for my site name when I do a google. Out of the 30k only a couple hundred are valid links or refrences to my site. How do I stop these jerks from linking to me or using my content as their own? They aren't actually using my content so much as they are using google, alltheweb ect so I don't know what to do. Is anyone else fighting this problem?

ABW Ambassador
    Heyder,

I'm having the same problem. Do these listings really score that high in the search engine results? Even if they do, the pages don't seem to have anything on them that people want to buy. Honestly, I don't see the point.

I can't figure out what to do.

Lily

There isn't much you can do, technically. I, too, have noticed same thing for all of my sites. But, I didn't think of it as a bad thing; a link is a link. Some of them do, actually refer unqiue visitors to my site.

It's Google's fault that they let their search results be cluttered with them. I am getting to like AllTheWeb more and more these days, not for traffic but my own search.

I have noticed many on mine too and guess what? When you click on the link that has my site name in it, it tries to install some parasite on my computer.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    It pays to be clever
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

ABW Ambassador
    Sambay I agree "a link is a link", but what if there is some nefarious reason for creating the page? Such as Anne's experience with some parasitic activity?

It just makes no sense to me to create a page that sends visitors to other sites.

Maybe some of the folks here who seem to know so much about the bad actors who steal links and download parasites will have some insights.

Lily

Most of the ones I am seeing are trying to make a sale for their keywords. They will have a couple dozen sites listed and all have certain kw's bold. Also I love to have links to my site but many of these use a script that forwards to your site and doesn't give you any PR benefit.

I sent an email to google regarding let's hope they read it. I'll be darned if I'm going to contact 30k websites with cease and desist that I probably couldn't really even enforce.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Welcome to the sleezebag world of affiliate marketing where every sewer rat, next to a cybercafe in a 3rd world country, learns SEO/SEM before HTML.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've got this happening with my sites too. Some of them actually send traffic to me, as well. But a lot of them seem to be junky PR0 sites. A few of them have their own aff. links amongst the massive leakage, but those links are so hidden that I doubt they sell anything! As for selling the keyword itself, good (f'in) luck when they're giving away so many free links! I think those pages are nuts...

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Someone pointed out to me that these sites aren't listed well for strong keywords but only when I search for my site name (or other sites they list) so I'm not exactlly sure what it's doing for them? Am I missing something?

I just hope Google counts them as non-reciprocal inbound links

Money was never a big motivation for me, except as a way to keep score. The real excitement is playing the game.
    Donald Trump (1946 - ), "Trump: Art of the Deal"

ABW Ambassador
    I've been seeing some with google listings for my sites with static text, no working links at all. These are true sleezebags. It's the down and dirty way of getting "content" with no work or brains.

Wayne

ABW Ambassador
    Sounds kinda like that sh0p stuff and
    http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&...9&m=1166084614
    in the Suspicious Activity.

I think just about any affiliate site has this going on.

I work in lounge pants

Those pages are mostly redirect pages (meta or script). Other sites name and descriptions they list on body part of their sites are made merely to trick google. If we check further, only a few people do these bad attitudes.

IRS

Don’t ask why the ball doesn’t come.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I found sites in google listing my site and description and when you click on the link it just autoforwards to Amazon.

Ticks me right off!

There is a thread at Amazon on their boards where they talk about autoforwarding your site from the search results and say it is ok and are recommending to people how to do it!

~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aunt Lily:
    Sambay I agree "a link is a link", but what if there is some nefarious reason for creating the page?
    Lily<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wwll, the "nefarious reason" same as ours; make money. Almost all of them, has paid/sponsored search listings from B-class Payperclick search engines like SearchFeeed. Someone clicks on them when they go to check out their sites, and they make money.

Tere are also others, who want to sell SEO services who work on similar spam tactic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> and say it is ok and are recommending to people how to do it!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't seen Amazon.com come out and condone it, just saw postings where they were still a little undecided. Meanwhile no one was being penalized for doing it.

But isn't it funny when a green newbie posts about doing it without reading the boards for a while first. Usually gets slammed a bit.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Who are all of these websites that grab search engine listings and display them on their site in order to rank well for keywords? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's a way to build and distribute themes. The search engine results sites don't need to rank very well at all. The people are probably putting very solid links to their own sites burried in there and if done properly it can build a well themed link.

ABW Ambassador
    Oh, and other people that are trying to make those sites rank well are also displaying ADSENSE. Many people on the page would end up clicking those adsense links if positioned properly.

Affiliate Manager
    this sounds like those people are using the "traffic equalizer".

It hurts my/our businesses because they are competing for those listings even if they aren't getting top rankings.

Heyder,

I would be really interested in hearing what you hear back from Google on this subject.

Different sites use different ways of creating these links, some use a script, some use direct linking with just the URL, and some use the exact listing that Google has for the site(linking with your Title Tag).

I am not sure if SE's are going to discount links from these types of sites in the future, but for now, a non-reciprocated link is a non-reciprocated link.

Biana

Affiliate Marketing Consulting
    AIM: AffiliateRoad1

ABW Ambassador
    Google will probably catch these kinds of sites in a 'fake directory' type filter. Till then there probably isnt much you can do since google has an ALGO approach to removing spam, not a by-hand approach.

Some of these sites are violating AdSense policies by running AdSense ads alongside other text-based ads. If you're feeling uncharitable, report them to AdSense. Errr how I don't know though

https://www.google.com/adsense/policies

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread