The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    How come you have to join a merchant to see the sample of his datafeed?
    How come you ahve to join a merchant to see the sample of his datafeed? I'm developing a new price comparison site and so I need the datafeed to have both UPC and resonable product categories (too generic and I can't use it) But before joining a new merchant and wasting both of our time, I need to see a few items out of the datafeed, like I get to see for the merchants I'm already affiliated with, but without seeing it I'm at a standstill.

Oh course, if there is a way, let me know and I'm sorry for wasting everyone's time with my follishness :-)
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

oranges, the vast majority will not have a UPC in the datafeed. I'm working on a niche site and have been begging a merchant to add it, they act like I'm asking for them to turn water into wine.

Many will have a SKU, this isn't the same as a UPC. The UPC is assigned to a product and is the same regardless of the retailer, a SKU is the retailers internal inventory number and the same product will have a different SKU at each merchant.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Many pet supply merchants such as Petco and Only Natural Pet (and a few others) do have UPC in their datafeeds. The point of the UPC is so I'll be able to tell that the products are identical for the comparison site. There is no way for a bot to figure out if 2 products are the same without a UPC.

Anyway that is the point of the post, if I can't tell and they probably don't then how come I can't see the sample datafeed to find out. It's not fair to the merchant to join his program, find out that he doesn't have the datafeed i need and then not promote them.

Let me see 5 products from the datafeed and I'll know right away.
    Last edited by oranges; July 5th, 2009 at 05:35 PM. Reason: add reason upc is essential
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

http and a telephoto
    It's easier to get answers if you are clearer in your post title, so I made it more descriptive of your problem.

Knight, for some merchants, creating the datafeed isn't an easy task and making a change can *sometimes* be a huge undertaking. I can see merchants thinking that the SKU is sufficient and not realizing that UPC is needed. And if you make them aware, they might be able to add it or might not. If enough people ask for it, and can show that they will actually be able to make sales, then the merchant might be able to justify the costs to get it added.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Better off asking the merchant directly for a sample or more info.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

It's not necessary to apply, just have to get around it.

www.shareasale.com/a-datafeedpreview.cfm?merchantid=XXXX

You should absolutely be able to preview what they offer in a feed without having to apply just to learn that you may have wasted your time and their time by doing so. And, with many SAS merchants, knowing beforehand REALLY helps.

Not many SAS merchants have a clue about datafeeds. I've rarely found many that do.

(yeah brian, i removed the other subdomain this time )

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

How come you ahve to join a merchant to see the sample of his datafeed?
    You don't. There is a link in the interface by each merchant with a feed.

Arrow
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    You don't. There is a link in the interface by each merchant with a feed.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilebadboy
    It's not necessary to apply, just have to get around it.

www.shareasale.com/a-datafeedpreview.cfm?merchantid=XXXX
    Not correct, that only works on feeds under 15,000 items, in our case it appears blank yet we have 50,000 items.

You should absolutely be able to preview what they offer in a feed without having to apply just to learn that you may have wasted your time and their time by doing so. And, with many SAS merchants, knowing beforehand REALLY helps.
    that's why we use Golden Can and Popshops!

Not many SAS merchants have a clue about datafeeds. I've rarely found many that do.
    Please don't include us in that opinion

Bob Pets Warehouse

Not correct, that only works on feeds under 15,000 items, in our case it appears blank yet we have 50,000 items.
    That's worth knowing. I just saw one that was blank and didn't know why.
    Not just SAS. All networks have that problem.

Bob, I did say not many, not all. And thanks for the info on the large feeds showing blank. Never ran across that, but I've never checked any feed that large. And many (again, many ) aren't so that shouldn't be a major issue.

And, yes, it's not just SAS merchants, but since this is the SAS forum, I narrowed it down.

Shawn Kerr (.com) | Disney World | SEC Football

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Not correct, [the Datafeed Preview] only works on feeds under 15,000 items, in our case it appears blank yet we have 50,000 items.
    Ah! I wondered what was going on. I knew I had seen the Datafeed Preview for some merchants, so I went and looked when I first saw this thread. The first unjoined merchant I tried didn't have the option. (They had more than 15k items.) I didn't have time to dig further, so I stopped there and didn't post.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Also be aware, that make a page, widgets and popshops don't work on lager feeds.

We have lost many affiliates due to that.

Hopefully in the future it will change
    Bob Pets Warehouse

Oranges, before becoming merchants we attempted something similar and ran into the same problems. We were able to work with SKU numbers fairly successfully. We took the SKU's and replaced all " / " " \ " " + " ect.. with a " - ". This seemed to make 95% percent of them uniform so that we only showed one product with several vendors.

Being on the other side of this, I see why most merchants don't have UPC's. Most suppliers just do not supply it in their data feeds.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; July 14th, 2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: No manual sigs!

Sounds like I need to edit my feed to get it under 15,000 items! We are working now to fine tune our category structure to make it easier to use. We also found some errors in our SAS feed - now removed. UPC codes? We have them for many items, but for others vendors and smaller manufacturers, they are not provided. I'll make sure we provide all UPC codes that we can get our hands on.

Thanks to all for helping us build a better affilate feed!

Rob Cox

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by POOLCENTER
    Sounds like I need to edit my feed to get it under 15,000 items! We are working now to fine tune our category structure to make it easier to use. We also found some errors in our SAS feed - now removed. UPC codes? We have them for many items, but for others vendors and smaller manufacturers, they are not provided. I'll make sure we provide all UPC codes that we can get our hands on.

Thanks to all for helping us build a better affilate feed!

Rob Cox
    a good category structure and clean sku's work fine for many of us, regardless of the datafeed file size.

Datafeed limits
    We also vote that ShareASale lifts the 15,000 product limit. We have chosen to limit our feed to under 15K products (with SKU, by the way - but it would be nice to stop worrying about this limit each time we upload the feed.

(not to mention cutting out products that might be "just the product" that an affiliate wants to promote)

You can't beat the tools that SAS offers, though!!! (widgets, storefronts, make a page).

Mary

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread