Link Redirection Okay?
    I am still pretty much a newbie in the field of affiliate programs, but I am wondering if link redirection services (a.k.a. link shortening services) affect credit for an affiliate click?

For example, say I want to link to a particular book on Amazon's site and I create my affiliate link to that product. Instead of using that big long ugly link in emails or printed material, I would prefer to use a URL shortening service (like snipurl, tinyurl, or others) to create a short, more-intuitive link. I like this approach because I could then include the link on printed material (like a paper-and-ink newsletter) and people could type in the link more easily than the direct link.

However, I am concerned that credit might go to the referring site (i.e. - snipurl or tinyurl) instead of me. Are my concerns legitimate?

Link cloaking is fine, as long as you use a good service.

I would suggest, however, if you intend to do print media, that you buy a domain and forward that through to your link.

Example: CoolDomainName.com ->LongUglyAffiliateLink.com/affiliateid/YouGetTheIdea -> your destination page.

I have a few items I promote using this method, and it allows me to use offline media to promote them, ex. newspapers, magazines, billboards, etc.

Best Of Luck!

P.S. Make sure that anything you do is O.K. with your merchant, first, especially if it isn't specified in your affiliate agreement.

Link Redirection Okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thess
    I am still pretty much a newbie in the field of affiliate programs, but I am wondering if link redirection services (a.k.a. link shortening services) affect credit for an affiliate click?

For example, say I want to link to a particular book on Amazon's site and I create my affiliate link to that product. Instead of using that big long ugly link in emails or printed material, I would prefer to use a URL shortening service (like snipurl, tinyurl, or others) to create a short, more-intuitive link. I like this approach because I could then include the link on printed material (like a paper-and-ink newsletter) and people could type in the link more easily than the direct link.

However, I am concerned that credit might go to the referring site (i.e. - snipurl or tinyurl) instead of me. Are my concerns legitimate?
    Hello Thess FWIW I used tinyurl and about three other sites to cloak my links and then to my horror I discovered that they tried to hijack my traffic. When the person clicks through the shortened link they get shown a huge add for tinyurl or whoever and a tinyurl link to click on. Also they take their sweet time about redirecting them.

I was aghast! it is just a clever marketing spin to get you to send traffic to their site?
    The customer either clicks on their link or- they get annoyed by the long delays. Either way you lose your traffic. Great links though

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratplayer1
    Hello Thess FWIW I used tinyurl and about three other sites to cloak my links and then to my horror I discovered that they tried to hijack my traffic. When the person clicks through the shortened link they get shown a huge add for tinyurl or whoever and a tinyurl link to click on. Also they take their sweet time about redirecting them.

I was aghast! it is just a clever marketing spin to get you to send traffic to their site?
    The customer either clicks on their link or- they get annoyed by the long delays. Either way you lose your traffic. Great links though
    I am not sure why you got anything that looked like ads or a delay, but as a *user* people can turn on or off an option to preview a link expanded. Other than that there isn't any type of advertising or redirecting other than the link you shortened.

I know a number of affiliates that use tiny url to shorten their affiliate links without having tracking issues.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

yeah okay ..but make sure with your merchant first

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread