With all of the changes going on in the search engine world it's becoming more clear that we need to start offering a good balance of content and products. Since the introduction of Hilltop it was never really necessary to get links from the current authorities in your market. You could simply get a link from an unrelated high-PR site and feed off that PR despite it's lack of relevance. Now not only do we need to get a link from high PR sites. We need a link from high PR, related websites.

In order to do this, we need to either pay a pretty penny to advertise with these sites or earn their respect enough to achive a reciprocal link. This puts a lot more weight on content and your site's overall usefulness. This means we need to either create innovative programs or offer valuable content.

Now we all know that content driven traffic isn't as valuable as buyer driven content for making sales. So why should we offer content and bring on thousands of visitors who may not buy anything? How about visitor loyalty. Affiliate marketing doesn't put much weight on visitor loyalty because a lot of us simply don't care if the visitor comes back to our site, only the merchant's site. This really is one of the roots of search engine spamming. If you don't care about how your site looks or if your traffic even returns, you're spamming. You aren't trying to offer any information beyond what's readily available 1 listing down on the SERP's.

So many of us are afraid of losing our listings, so why not start offering something more valuable to the visitors?

- Scott

Scott:

Interesting post that could incite a flame war!

It all depends on your business model, of course, and ours relies heavily on user loyalty. So adding value is key.

I'm interested to see the response here.

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

Affiliate Manager
    Who says that google is using the hilltop theory and that only links from themed sites count?
    I found plenty of examples where sites rank highly, eventhough they have only nonthemed links pointing to them. And they are ranking high for some very competitive keywords.

Yep, interesting post. Wouldn't a good mix of content and marketing sites (linked) be the way to go?

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    For me its easy, since for me the links are the content. I search the web for the content I want and I link to it. If the owners of the content links back that is great if they don't then I have content.

I have a bunch of pages like this. I have a page devoted to every cow breed association I could find on the web. (Believe me I know how to find stuff too). I emailed all of them asked them to exchange links with me, most didn't but the page of all the links is important content regardless.

The guy who owned cowdance.com let his url expire. I snapped it up, created a few cow dances (actually it was fun). Now I have both content and a great link back to my site.

Adding content to your site, is part of marketing, its hard to have sales without marketing. The time and money you put into it is worth it.

Mike
    Bovine Bazaar

Oops, sorry double post

ABW Ambassador
    I try to have a nice balance of both, SE friendly and people friendly, try to build it up as its own brand.

Hilltop is a just a theory and some think it's right on spot and others thing it's total garbage plus it's only for Google, you still have Yahoo and MSN. Basic, good on the page SEO and getting links in is the way to go. Links in with the keywords you're targetting and links in to your domain. Links to different pages, try to get a nice variety. I hate doing reciprocal linking so i try to concentrate on just making the best possible site i can and have people link to you naturally. I think links in without reciprocation will be/is a major part of any future algo, much harder to get, anybody can get reciprocal links. Of course links in from sites with not too many outgoing links and a decent PR is something to look for.

And affiliates do have different models so things will be done differently. Theres always going to be free, algorythmic search, so if you're decent at SEO, you'll always have a chance. I think quality is the way to go.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> So why should we offer content and bring on thousands of visitors who may not buy anything? How about visitor loyalty. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Visitors who are loyal to getting INFORMATION, for FREE, tend to be as useful as pop on a computer keyboard.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The things we think and do not say. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean things like, "In a few months I'll be seeing the 'I have tons of traffic but no sales' posts!"??

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Leader ... now, now ...

Let's not get carried away. Affiliate sales are not the only solution; there are lots of ways to monetize traffic. Let's not dismiss free content & information. We've been registered a tidy little profit with it.

Content may not be king, but it's not necessarily a pauper (or jester), either.

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

ABW Ambassador
    Content is King or at least a Prince thanks to Adsense

For me i like commissioned based selling, that's for me.

Different things w*rk (c. Leader) for different affiliates

I work in lounge pants

There are some who've figured out how to make content pay. And I don't mean by running Adsense or CPM advertising.

People shouldn't limit themselves by thinking that all content sites attract are freeloaders!

You'll never get in on the action if you're living out on the edge! What worked yesterday won't necessarily work tomorrow.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Visitors who are loyal to getting INFORMATION, for FREE, tend to be as useful as pop on a computer keyboard. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you do it right, by giving something to the visitors (such as the content they seek), then you will get something in return.

Programs like Adsense make this easier today than it was in the past.

The original post was referring to sites that only want to take take take (hijack search phrases, and grab all the cash they can until the search engines are exhausted).

If you supply specific content to a specific audience that is known for making purchases, you can make a profit. For example, maybe you offer information about what digital camera to buy. Maybe supply some photo examples and user comments. Why not offer prices for these cameras as well?

ABW Ambassador
    Different types of affiliate sites work because people want different things. The example you just gave can work and does for some.
    A site listing nothing but coupon codes can work too. Some people know where they want to shop and just want to quickly pick up a code and go shop. So those types of sites can build loyalty too. Content sites, coupon/promotion sites, rebate sites, product driven sites etc. all can work because there is an audience for all of them.

So all kinds of affiliate sites can work, build loyalty, do fine in the SE's etc.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread