How to build a web site?
    Webmasters help wanted.
    I looking for good informational web sites to learn how to build a multi-page web site.
    I have found some coding sites that are fairly simple and somewhat easy to understand, but I need more.
    I have never done this before. I am willing to start out slow with a simple straight forward site and work on it as I go along. I can take some time with this. I do not need to get every thing done now. I receive a SSDI check every month and can get by on that for now. I'm just asking for input. If you were just starting what sites would you go to? Suggestions? Advice? I don't mind doing the work. I just want to find the best information and, people available to help and guide me.

Web site term dictionary's,
    Tutorials,
    Html coding,
    CSS,
    Sites that give you whole blocks of code with examples.
    You get the idea.
    On line or down-loadable editors with its own little browser to show you what you're doing as you do it. (something a little more useful than notepad).

I know that all you guys(generic term) have some favorite places you go to. I won't tell anyone. It will be our little secret. Who reads these things anyway.

Whatever you think may be useful.
    Any and all advice and help will be appreciated.

Floyd

http://www.w3schools.com/ has everything you asked for. It is free and easy to use, you work at your own pace and they offer online editable examples of what they are teaching so you can try it out there and see the results. It may seem overwhelming in the beginning but if you jump in and try things out you'll learn what you need to know to build your own site.

I also suggest Notepad++ another free program that lets you edit and view the changes on your desktop, without needing to upload to your domain to view your pages.

Good luck

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    A very easy route to start with is to have a Wordpress blog. But to place ads, you will have to host (as opposed to using the free wordpress hosted blog). Here is what you do:
    1. Register a domain name at godaddy.com, namecheap.com, cheapdomain.com, or one of many others. You should be able to register for about $10/yr.
    2. Get hosting. I would recommend Hostgator - the $9.95/mo unlimited domain option. ($7.95/mo for 3 years prepaid) With this option, you can add on new domains at no extra cost.
    3. After you get hosting, reset your DNS settings (Domain Name Server) to the setting provided to you by hostgator. If you need help, contact the domain service support - it is not difficult. This will put your website on the hostgator server.
    4. In the hostgator control panel, click on Fantastico Deluxe and choose Wordpress. Install the wordpress application. You will then have a Wordpress blog. Not hard, but get help from support if needed.
    5. You can change your wordpress theme very easily. Go to http://wordpress.org/support/ for help.

This will get you a website right off the bat that will look decent. From there, you can learn html and css and learn how to build your next site from the ground up (my preference).
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Web Editors
    Has anybody had any experience with Arachnophilia?

Quote Originally Posted by pfloyd2u
    Webmasters help wanted.
    I looking for good informational web sites to learn how to build a multi-page web site.
    I have found some coding sites that are fairly simple and somewhat easy to understand, but I need more.
    I have never done this before. I am willing to start out slow with a simple straight forward site and work on it as I go along. I can take some time with this. I do not need to get every thing done now.
    Try this site: Tizag Tutorials
    Tutorials,
    Html coding,
    CSS,
    Sites that give you whole blocks of code with examples.
    You get the idea.
    Here are some good sites to learn...

Beginner's Web Site Creating Guide - Tizag introduction to HTML and web design

Full Web Building Tutorials - w3schools

The Beginner's A-Z Guide to Starting/Creating Your Own Website - thesitewizard

On line or down-loadable editors with its own little browser to show you what you're doing as you do it. (something a little more useful than notepad).
    One free WYSIWYG web page editor...

Easy web authoring - KompoZer - Easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing.

I didn't know about all those links
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

For web site term dictionary's it's better if you search Google, because they show many there...

But, for this business (Acronym Dictionary), you can check out this link: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=60493

Has anybody had any experience with Arachnophilia?
    Yes, I use it on a regular basis, the only reason I didn't suggest it to you is that it might delay your learning the right way to do html. There are two versions, but the newer Java version lacks many of the useful tools of the older version, and both versions use deprecated code. I do recommend the program if you know html, but because it has not been updated in a decade it uses a lot of deprecated coding. That can cause your site to look different in different browsers.

Their default doctype declaration is incomplete and it still offers <center> as a valid tag, does not close some tags like <p> and <li> for example. It seems to be based on html 3. It is a handy tool when you know what needs to be corrected.

It is the greatest thing I've found to do "Find and Replace" of entire blocks of code across 30 pages at a time though!

thanks the information
    i just to thank about your information on your topics nice it can help me very much!

Some real good stuff here! Thanks to everybody who contributed! What I really like is that some other people are finding this useful too. Don't Stop, Keep'um Coming!

Quote Originally Posted by pfloyd2u
    Keep'um Coming!
    Okay, you can learn lots from Developer Shed

CSS -- try TopStyle Lite
    TopStyle Lite is a free version of TopStyle that contains an extremely small subset of the features found in the Pro version of TopStyle. Most importantly, TopStyle Lite is strictly a simple CSS editor, whereas TopStyle Pro is a full-blown XHTML, HTML and CSS editor. However, if all you want is a very basic CSS editor, TopStyle Lite will serve you very well.
    Source: http://topstyle.en.softonic.com/
    HTML color codes and names
    http://www.computerhope.com/htmcolor.htm

Hot Scripts
    http://www.hotscripts.com/category/p...grams/xml-php/
    Last edited by Rhia7; July 7th, 2009 at 09:34 AM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Open Web Tools Directory
    Here's a fantastic list of open web tools:

http://tools.mozilla.com/index.html

This is the HTML version of the Open Web Tools Directory, a Mozilla Labs experiment to catalog the expansive universe of tools related to creating web applications based on open standards...
    Source: [the List] http://tools.mozilla.com/simple.html
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

start out simple
    go to weebly and build a site for free
    build your knowledge from there

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Easy web authoring - KompoZer - Easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing.
    I don't really need this, but after looking it over and seeing it's Mozilla roots I have to download and try it.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread