this is a really strange problem that happened to me two days ago. if i'm right about what's going on then this is going to affect us all. if i'm wrong, then thank god!

so here's the deal.

two days ago i try to go to myaffiliateprogram.com and all i get is a pink dot. doesn't matter if i am following one of my affiliates links, trying to login or go to the homepage. i figure the site is down so i wait a day. next day, same problem so i call them up. they are having no problems so i figure it's just my computer. i run adaware, spybot, delete cookies and temp files. no luck.

so today it got worse, or i started to notice it more. i try to go to cj.com. i get a pink dot and that's it. i go to allposters.com. the index page loads, but when i go to the affiliate section i get a pink dot. as i look around on some sites i notice that google adsense ads are not loading, just getting a pink dot.

in IE i can't even view source for these pages because it disables it. i figure it's an IE problem so i load Opera and same thing. i can do a view source and i get ascii garbage for the source.

so this leads me to believe that i have some kind of dumb virus or program on my computer. the normal user wouldn't notice this, or would blow it off because the rest of the sites load. this would impact us all because our marketing would be for nothing.

i'm guessing this program/virus has a blacklist on sites and certain code. i took some screenshots of this. has anyone seen this pink dot on their computer?

here is another pic if the mods approve of them.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    You must have visited Flamingo World and Connies script to detect my lurking for tips grabbed your system by the ass.

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

huh?

ABW Ambassador

they both found nothing.

thanks for the links though.

you can get a free and very thorough virus scan of your system at
    housecall.antivirus.com but I don't know how a screen could be affected like that.

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

ABW Ambassador
    Some kind of ad blocking thing on your computer?

I work in lounge pants

Do you have Norton's internet security? Their ad blocker was doing some strange things when viewing some of my sites the other day. If so, turn off adblocker and see if that takes care of it.

Sounds like what I did to my self the other day 2 things: I take it your building site in the e.b. This is where you see the pink underline veiw your site in the browser look at about where the pink is on your site as your browser loads look at the pink line you should see a faint line just like you see in your browser it will be under or attached to what is loading button, script,etc.
    put your mouse on pink line check 4 properties get back out 2 your build site look at pink line
    mouse chk to see if your under line is on if you cant remove it by clicking off underline you
    will have to remove what its hooked to then rebuld that part.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Only good Parasite is a DEAD Parasite <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks for the suggestions everyone...

i don't have any plugins for either browsers. i don't have any norton's products, the google toolbar or the alexa toolbar. this computer is pretty clean.

dirtdevel - i'm not building a site, i'm just surfing to my affiliate programs to login and check my stats.

it was happening on monster.com this morning too where ads show up. this is still looking like an ad blocker of some sort, but i guess the future will tell.

any more suggestions?

i started deleting programs off my computer that i recently installed and now i don't get a pink dot, but the pages in question don't load at all now. it looks like the website is down, giving the standard no page found error (the microsoft one).

after a virus scan, i tried disabling all startup programs and i get the same thing.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread