ABW Ambassador
    Google To Introduce PC Operating System
    It's been talked about in the past and looks like Google will be releasing more info on their blog today:

"Google to introduce PC operating system
    Based on Chrome browser, it would directly challenge Microsoft

SAN FRANCISCO - In a direct challenge to Microsoft, Google is expected to announce on Wednesday that it is developing an operating system for a personal computer based on its Chrome browser, according to two people briefed on Google’s plans. The details of the technology could not be learned, but Google plans to make the announcement on a company blog on Wednesday afternoon, this person said."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31791017...new_york_times

More info from their blog -

"Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks."

"Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS. We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work."

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html
    Last edited by Trust; July 8th, 2009 at 06:09 AM.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Well, when you consider the problems MS has had thus far, in my personal opinion they may be currently facing the biggest threat to their business model to date. I think if there was a ever a time that anyone could go after their market is now.

I've had numerous discussions with everyday people in our business and their experience with Vista, (and I share their opinion) is that at least for some us, Vista may have been their crappiest OS to date. Not to mention flaws in security and the current security problem they just announceed that does not have a patch or fix is concerning. Lastly, this last minute go around in the effort to make something out of Bing could hurt their credibility if it doesn't gain acceptance.

Google is still probably light years behind MS in the OS game, who knows...

I dont know, just my two cents....
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    The difference here is that Google allows for open source development and with various checks and balances from other developers and of course Google, I believe it can really be a better OS.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Bing takes a bite at Google

Chrome OS pounce on Vista + free ads

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    So now every Joe Schmoe with a computer all fouled up by their 12-yr old son or daughter will be blaming Google for a bad operating system.

Good luck Google. You will need it!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Glad to see Trust back with good news alerts. Better than Drudge for me.

Ben – The AIM Group
    Hmm this could be interesting, big ambitions from Google! Seems like a lot to risk with their world being as good as it is.

funny thought... they could make this a PPC operating system... customer is billed everytime they click...

Google to Launch Open-Source Chrome OS
    Google is developing an open-source operating system targeted at Internet-centric computers such as netbooks and will release it later this year, the company said Wednesday.

The OS, which will carry the same "Chrome" name as the company's browser, is expected to begin appearing on netbook computers in the second half of 2010, Google said in a blog post.

It is already talking to "multiple" companies about the project, it added.

The Chrome OS will be available for computers based on the x86 architecture, which is used by Intel and Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), and the Arm architecture.

Prototypes of Arm-based netbooks began appearing last month at the Computex show in Taiwan and Google's support for the architecture could give it a significant boost. Microsoft's mainstream Windows operating system doesn't run on Arm chips so many manufacturers were talking about using Linux or a version of Google's Android operating system. It's not immediately clear how much the two operating systems share in common code but Google said they are aimed at very different devices.

"Google Chrome OS is a new project, separate from Android," it said. "Android was designed from the beginning to work across a variety of devices from phones to set-top boxes to netbooks. Google Chrome OS is being created for people who spend most of their time on the Web."

http and a telephoto
    The only way for any OS to gain ground is for the major software to be able to work with it. That's one reason Linux won't work for most of us. Can you run Adobe CS4 on it?

They are making the right move by stating it is just for netbooks and online use. It is for people to access the internet, use Google Apps/Docs for cloud computing.

For me, and people like me, it isn't going to be a viable replacement for MS OS, it will be the thing on the travel computer that lets me connect to the real computer at home or the office.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

No Longer Banned!
    Adobe On DreamLinux ??....
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    The only way for any OS to gain ground is for the major software to be able to work with it. That's one reason Linux won't work for most of us. Can you run Adobe CS4 on it?

They are making the right move by stating it is just for netbooks and online use. It is for people to access the internet, use Google Apps/Docs for cloud computing.

For me, and people like me, it isn't going to be a viable replacement for MS OS, it will be the thing on the travel computer that lets me connect to the real computer at home or the office.
    Loxly

You should try DreamLinux. It runs M$ only software. I even have the Tahoma font.

Trust

Wal*Mart had been selling Google OS boxes last year. When the inventory ran out, Wal*Mart never reordered them.

I could do more with Linux than any other system. I just don't have the money to pay these guys to prove it.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Ben – The AIM Group
    Does anyone know if there is any imagery, or test URL to see the Google OS? Or is it so new that it simply isn't available yet?

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I am so tired of computers slowing down after three years when the OS hasn't changed. I have two 2Ghz notebooks with 2 Gb of RAM, I defrag daily, clean the registry weekly, clean the junk, scan for virus, spyware, adware, etc. Tired of everything slowing down and would jump at a heart beat to Chrome if it works. Am not a fan of reformatting and reloading MS OS every year but am close to that due to my frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    I am so tired of computers slowing down...
    I thought I was the only one with that problem.

Now anytime I am on a site and I open a separate tab or window to do a Google search my Firefox browser totally crashes and closes
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I have been working on computers since 1985 and have been through DOS through Windows, networking, etc. Not a conspiracy advocate but would not be surprised to find out that Windows has planned obsolescent built in. Have not taken the time to learn Linxux on the desktop and am considering going all Mac next.

Here's an article on the topic:
    "The Google OS Is Doomed"
    Five reasons why the new Chrome operating system is a bad idea.
    http://www.slate.com/id/2222564?nav=wp

The article considers pros and cons.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

i wish google OS would be an option when purchasing new desktop pc

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread