Just getting into affiliate marketing - How does my plan look?
    Hi I'm new to affiliate marketing and new to this forum as well. I am very impressed with the potential of this business so I have been reading a lot of forums and doing as much research as I can and have decided that I am nearly ready to act now.

To start out, I will pick 3 separate niches (all of which are also of great interest to me) and make blogs for each of the three. The blogs will contain a fair amount of meaningful content and I will try to keep the quality fairly high. Exactly how I will advertise in these blogs I am unsure, I'm somewhat confused so I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me a few tips.

I will then also launch a fairly decent sized website which will focus on reviewing certain products and this will also have a forum. I know such a site with multiple products and a forum is not so easy to monetize, but I feel there should be some potential here.

I will rely mostly on natural search engine traffic but will most likely also do some ezine articles. I am experienced in programing and web design so I do not feel that designing the sites will be an issue, but I am simply unsure on how exactly to advertise or monetize, so tips here would be greatly helpful.
    By the way, I have already determined the niches I will be focusing on.

I plan to use mostly CJ and maybe some CB and amazon as well.

Very ambitious plan. I wish you the best on it.

I would make one suggestion regarding your last sentence: "I plan to use mostly CJ and maybe some CB and amazon as well."

If you spend some time looking around here, you'll find that many folks find better support from Avantlink and Shareasale and Buy.at networks than from CJ, CB, or amazon. Worth considering.
    Generate more fake news.

Hi and welcome to ABW!

It sounds like you've got a good plan for your business. The next step would be to jump in and start taking action. From there, you can start to determine what works, and what doesn't work.

Thank you for the responses and feedback guys.

@writerguy
    I will look into the other networks as well then. And yea, I'm somewhat worried that its a little too ambitious too.

@Lanadili
    Yup, this is exactly what I plan to do. Hopefully at least one of the sites succeeds, of course I am expecting lots of trial and error here.

Quote Originally Posted by dunnington74
    @writerguy
    I will look into the other networks as well then. And yea, I'm somewhat worried that its a little too ambitious too.
    No, I didn't mean to imply it might be TOO ambitious -- just that it is, indeed, ambitions.

You can handle such a plan, but you really are going to need to work out and work AT all the details. Please keep us posted and see how it goes as you get down to business on it.

Speaking of getting down to business -- here's a special WARNING:

It's really easy to get addicted to this forum. I find myself (like right now) hanging around here too much when I actually should be working on my websites, marketing, etc.

If you find an easy cure for the tendency to hang around forums when I should be working instead -- let me know!
    Generate more fake news.

I can tell, I've only been here a few days and I'm already dependent on this place. It's quite a useful resource however. Anyway, I will continue to research the exact details for some more time but get started on the sites asap after that. And yes, I will keep you guys updated.

Thank You

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Ambitious, yes. but I like it.

Review sites are super popular in our arena and work great. The search feature is GREAT and you can look up exactly what you want to know.

That being said, there are some other great resources...blogs and the like. Ours is linked to in my signature. There are a ton of of great ones out there.

Be careful not to get bogged down trying to learn everything though. You want to take action and spend most of your time building your sites and getting some sales rolling as soon as possible.

Spend some time learning and keeping up with the latest news, but make sure your focus is on your sites first and foremost.

Welcome to ABW by the way. I look forward to seeing you participate for a long time to come!
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

As for the blogs, try to sell something with your posts. If people come in just to see some interesting content, they will often move on without ever clicking an ad. Try to create blogs that either sell something directly in each post or provide information that might lead to sales from related affiliate links.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    Ambitious, yes. but I like it.

Review sites are super popular in our arena and work great. The search feature is GREAT and you can look up exactly what you want to know.

That being said, there are some other great resources...blogs and the like. Ours is linked to in my signature. There are a ton of of great ones out there.

Be careful not to get bogged down trying to learn everything though. You want to take action and spend most of your time building your sites and getting some sales rolling as soon as possible.

Spend some time learning and keeping up with the latest news, but make sure your focus is on your sites first and foremost.

Welcome to ABW by the way. I look forward to seeing you participate for a long time to come!

Yeah, I'll avoid trying to overexert myself with learning everything. I'm now just focusing on gathering information about my niches and exactly how to do it.

My only worry about review sites, especially one centered around technology, is that its quite competitive. I'm not sure if I can get my site to stick out and get some decent traffic. I guess this will take some more thought.

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    As for the blogs, try to sell something with your posts. If people come in just to see some interesting content, they will often move on without ever clicking an ad. Try to create blogs that either sell something directly in each post or provide information that might lead to sales from related affiliate links.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just trying to try to think of how I can do this without making the blog look like a giant obvious advertisement.

As for the website, I'm not expecting immediate results, as I plan for it to be more of a long term thing. Not exactly sure on this either.

Ben The AIM Group
    Well thought out plan, you will find success with time and patients. Make sure your joining programs that want to work with you to help create success. Is the program manager easy to work with? Do they respond quickly to your questions? Do they legitimately care about growing a sollid business relationship with you?

If you like what your doing, and the people invovled in the program are willing to help and want you to be successful, then its almost a sure thing provided the product is in demand!

All the best, and keep hanging out in here, its a great spot to find any answer, and then contribute.

Might want to consider buying an existing forum. It can be hard to grow a forum from scratch.

Don't just review all kinds of technology like hardocp/cnet/anandtech/tomshardware/etc. do because that's a very overcrowded space. Pick a niche with lower competition or something, if you are set on doing tech-related products.

Quote Originally Posted by lulav
    Might want to consider buying an existing forum. It can be hard to grow a forum from scratch.

Don't just review all kinds of technology like hardocp/cnet/anandtech/tomshardware/etc. do because that's a very overcrowded space. Pick a niche with lower competition or something, if you are set on doing tech-related products.

ah, this is exactly the concern I have. I've always looked at these sites with interest, especially anandtech. I wanna do something similar but on a much more specialized area. I'm well acquainted with technology, particularly computers, so writing reviews on it would be easy, but I need to somehow find the right niche.

I really want to make a larger scale website, but I guess its simply too difficult to compete with the already well established sites out there.

Yeah, anandtech is good. I'm a big fan of tomshardware, too...they seem to go the most in-depth by far in their reviews.

I've seen specialized sites that do something similar...like there is silentpcreview for people overly sensitive to noise, mini-itx.com for the small form factor niche, lots of htpc communities, etc.

I would find one of those niches that interests you and compete there. Can always build more niche sites like that and have a network of them. Important thing is to make sure the niche is actually interesting to you so you actually enjoy working on it. Like I would find a site about routers boring to work on, but a site about I don't know...graphics cards or computer audio would interest me enough that I'd be willing to write my own content for it.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    Hey Dunnington74,

Havent seen you around, see you are a newbie, welcome to Abestweb!

I've written a few Blog posts dedicated to New Affilates, please email me and I will forward you the posts. I think they will help you a whole lot.

My email is: emilio@andyrodriguez.com

Again, welcome to ABW and good luck on your new endeavor!
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Quote Originally Posted by lulav
    Yeah, anandtech is good. I'm a big fan of tomshardware, too...they seem to go the most in-depth by far in their reviews.

I've seen specialized sites that do something similar...like there is silentpcreview for people overly sensitive to noise, mini-itx.com for the small form factor niche, lots of htpc communities, etc.

I would find one of those niches that interests you and compete there. Can always build more niche sites like that and have a network of them. Important thing is to make sure the niche is actually interesting to you so you actually enjoy working on it. Like I would find a site about routers boring to work on, but a site about I don't know...graphics cards or computer audio would interest me enough that I'd be willing to write my own content for it.

Thats along the same lines as what I've been thinking. The thing is, my daily schedule is very tight and I doubt I'd have the time to actually get hardware and get many pictures of it, the web development alone will eat up most of my time. I wonder if theres a way to obtain pictures of new hardware for review without actually physically getting it. I obviously can't simply just rip it off other sites as that would be a copyright violation right?

@Emilio-ARC

Thank you for your warm welcome

I wonder if theres a way to obtain pictures of new hardware for review without actually physically getting it. I obviously can't simply just rip it off other sites as that would be a copyright violation right?
    I would use the manufacturer's pics, those would be fine. Of course IANAL, but I've never had a problem using a manufacturer's product pics to promote their product. Could always do mini reviews if time is a problem and just have more of them...nice way to rank for long-tail keys maybe.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Content, which drives free traffic, takes months or years...

Make sure that you have some cash in the bank and many hours to research PPC.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Thanks for the replies guys.

So how many searches should a good keyword be getting on google per month? I've heard anything with over 3000-4000 searches a month is kinda too competitive. And how many results should it get on google?

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies guys.

So how many searches should a good keyword be getting on google per month? I've heard anything with over 3000-4000 searches a month is kinda too competitive. And how many results should it get on google?
    Think about what you just asked ....

So how many searches should a good keyword be getting on google ...

If that keyword cost you $.08 and you are making $1.00, you are way ahead of the game...

There are PPC pros doing just that, right this moment, 24/7/365 ....

Can you do it without hiring someone with years of experience or doing tons of research and then implementing trial & error campaigns????

I dunno!

It's possible, but ......

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

So how are all the guys without PPC making money?

If you're doing it without ppc, you need to get your pages ranked high in the organic results for the keywords you are targeting. So you need to find a whole bunch of keywords with relatively little competition and optimize your pages and sites to suit.

PPC...
    "...tons of research and then implementing trial & error campaigns?"

Yes. My impression is that's exactly how it works.
    The trick is to find out what you are good at or enjoy. For one person it's PPC, for another it's SEO.

I kinda got PPC fatigue after a time. My researches came up with some good little ads with very cheap clicks, like 1c per click - but not much volume of traffic from those.
    So I'd need to repeat that about 100 times to boost traffic.

I think that's a strategy the experienced PPC people use: find highly targeted, low competition, cheap ads - and use lots of them.

But to do that I would have to really enjoy fiddling around with keywords and ads.

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread