I found a site using the same content as another that I had found earlier. I don't know if the original site knows about this. The content is identical to the first site except that where the original uses "dollars", the copycat site uses "rupees."

I think I should notify the webmaster of the original about this because it does look like content theft. The original site uses a merchant with ABW. The second doesn't appear to have any merchant links, but does have Adsense banners on all pages so it appears they are attempting to profit from this.

It doesn't look like they are both from the same webmaster and the copycat site has a different layout and different graphics, but the content is word for word.

This just isn't right.

"Very funny Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

ABW Ambassador
    How do you know which is the original? Going by the date you found them is not a good way. Also did you do a whois?

Chet

The first site lists the webmaster's name and email address on it. I checked just now and the website is registered in Australia in 2002.
    The one I suspect is the copycat was registered in India in 2001, but who knows when the content was added. This one appears to be a much larger directory style site.

The 1st site is a computer site that shows you how to build and choose a computer. The second has info about a city in India, with lists of lots of local info as well as local businesses and . The navigation is terrible. A link saying "computers" on the bottom leads to the copied pages. The content is the same down to the same wording in headers and lists.

The 1st site is (I believe) the original site. The wording in the "about me" part seems legit. Obviously I could be mistaken but it does look like the other site took the content from this smaller site and grafted it onto theirs.

I just sent an email to the webmaster.

Just heard back from the website owner of the original site. Says he is investigating and looking into the copycat site.

I got another email from the webmaster. He found a second copycat site using his info in another country. He is going to complain to the hosting companies of the sites.

He is also alerting Google Adsense about this too.

The second site uses the original's graphics too and has affiliate links to the same merchant here at ABW!

Grrr, content thieves suck!

The thief's Google Adsense account should be terminated immediately in my opinion.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread