ABW Ambassador
    They have gotten to use pretty much the same tools for the last hundreds of years. They get to work in nice conditions, i have been an assistant to a union carpenter, it was nice relaxing work.

Instead I chose, like many here, to base my future on my computers, freaking computers where you are so abstracted from what is going on, you have no idea what hell is going on.

From network, cookies and scumware, to mail servers going down - on phone with tech support for 3 hours, only to have them fix nothing.

Servers going down because of a network issue at the datecenter, but since we didn't know - we put in a TT and they went in and messed up our firewall for fun.

Got a spam complaint from another datacenter, for a server i have run for 7 years with no spam complaints. It is bounces from viruses, but for some reason that DC can't see it, so now they are threatening me.

And to the breaker this morning, in my sleepy haze, trying to pay my citibank bill. Doesn't work, call their support, lady tells me to delete my temporary cookies by clicking - delete cookies. Mind fart on my side, i say yeah yeah yeah. Well everyone else with a brain knows what happened, all my cookies gone. All my stored logins for hundreds of sites gone.

So after i have some coffee and realize nothing remembers my login, I go back to citibank and call them to suggest telling someone to delete all their cookies is a bad idea, if this is some issue and there are multiple cookies, a real company would have a place on their page to clear all the cookies for their site? What does the tech tell me? Oh no, you should delete all your cookies every week.

Bangs head on monitor.

I will be down in my woodworking room for the rest of today. Using a hasp, a saw, and a hammer.

ARRRRGHGHGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    It is a good idea to vent the anger and frustration (I like going to the gym) and a hammer is good for venting, but watch where you hit

Chet, it's just a bad day, I hope all will be better soon!

Chet

here's a proposition:

How about building nice, traditional wooden desks with Computer Terminals built-in....

(Rad ducks quickly)

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    I love computers. I've been working with them for thirty years. One of the happiest days of my adult life was when I brought home my first home computer.

BUT...they can be the most annoying inanimate objects, can't they? lol!

When I become a little overwhelmed by the frustrations I go off to the garden to either plant something or kill something (some people call it weeding). Or I head for the kitchen and make something nice to eat. Cake usually does the trick. Cup of coffee and a piece of homemade cake and I'm a happy camper.

I wonder what professional woodworkers do to blow off steam?

Chez noir....

I understand fully... I am a finish carpenter...

however I agree with Rhea...

the greatest day of my life was 35 years ago.. when I went to school and in the corner of the room there was this box with a stack of punch cards next to it...

I was told it's a computer... all students with a 3.5 grade point average.. will get to use it... (this was algebra 3)

I had a 3.75 gpa... at the time...

the next big thrill was when I got my first pc... it was a franklin... remeber them??

wonder what i would be doing today.. if there was no computers, with all that free time????

Joe

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

I just had such a brain fart after reading that thread! I remember my first PC to! 1993 - DOS, menu driven, 40mhz, 250meg hard drive, and 4 meg of RAM permantely attached to the board! All for $1600.00 (monitor not included).

David

www.Secret-Deals.Com

My first work computer was a Friden Flexowriter Computyper. Punched cards, punched tape, and I was so naive I thought it was some kind of tricked out telex machine! lol!

My first home computer was an Apple IIc. Didn't look like much but I loved that little bugger.

Ah - I remember carrying an Osborne through the airport and having someone ask if they could help me carry my sewing machine.

Worked for the government than...we had the trash80s (TRS-80s) with their pizza pie disks, the first Apple, several Osbornes, the original IBM PCs and of course Compaqs

I bought myself a Compaq from Computerland for $2600.00. It had one floppy disk drive and ran DOS. Still have it up in the attic someplace...

char_paula

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    First computer I brought home to learn the software and run some wordprocessing was a Wang PCS II desktop in 1978. An extra office demo system the branch manager wanted me to push on the F&I guys at the car dealers. Hell, before Wang, I'd have gotten fired for even making a sales call on a IBM prospect who didn't have the potential for $500,000 in annual sales....

Mike & Charlie ...

"Payment is one option that isn't negotiable. Merchants require it for purchases ...SO DO WE."

Hey, Mike and Charlie! I'm an ex-Wang systems administrator! Made a nice living doing that for quite a few years. Unfortunately my experience didn't port well to other OS so I went back to college and got a science degree. Couldn't make enough to live on working at nature centers so I went back to working the corporate 9 to 5.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread