I set up a facebook account... now what?
    So, I gave in a couple weeks ago and setup an account. I haven't done anything with it as I don't quite know what I'm supposed to do.

It scanned my email when I joined and added a bunch of people as friends, which is fine I guess. Except now I have affiliates, managers, merchants, family and friends listed altogether in this account. I've got a feeling I shouldn't have let it do that. Oh well, can't fix it now.

If you're my facebook friend (I use my real name, so you'll have to know me to know this is me) I apologize for what I'm about to do over the next few days. Because this looks more complicated than 140 characters on twitter.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    It scanned my email when I joined and added a bunch of people as friends, which is fine I guess. Except now I have affiliates, managers, merchants, family and friends listed altogether in this account. I've got a feeling I shouldn't have let it do that. Oh well, can't fix it now.
    Actually you can. Go to the settings tab and change the privacy setting for selected people. I have personal friends and work colleagues on it too. For the work colleagues, I turn off the ability to see personal stuff like videos, pictures, status updates, etc.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

I gave up trying to keep my different groups of friends categorized. I have Facebook friends that are family, church friends, ABW friends, high school classmates, merchants, other affiliates, friendly competitors, former coworkers, and quite a few that are just friends of friends that I don't even know.

Any of my friends on Facebook - Make sure to check out my latest video (must be a member, and I think a friend to see) - Grace (my 3 year old) doing flips off the diving board!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Facebook I started a facebook account, i had 3 friends then all of a sudden i'm in mafia wars with over 2000 "friends" I haven't visited it for more than 4 or more months
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

Facebook is one of the most bizarre things I've ever tried to figure out. There are such a multitude of apps (are they still called that?), notifications, causes, etc., that it totally bewilders me.

Even my rocket scientist/engineer son told me a couple of weeks ago that he has so many distractions and irritating little game things people on FB are always hassling him to do that he's almost quit using it.

Me too.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by La_Valette
    Actually you can. Go to the settings tab and change the privacy setting for selected people. I have personal friends and work colleagues on it too. For the work colleagues, I turn off the ability to see personal stuff like videos, pictures, status updates, etc.
    I've looked at the privacy settings, looks like I have to setup networks or something to separate them. Too much to do right now, I'll have a try with it in a few days.

Thanks for the tip.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

The apps are the only annoying thing about Facebook. Fortunately, you can just click "Block this app" every time someone invites you, and eventually you get all the common ones blocked. I probably have 10x as many blocked apps as I have installed ones.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I like to check the Photos. It's a small icon down at the bottom left of the window. I've also got my friends set up in groups so I can view my news feed by relationship. I agree with everybody on the apps and pretty much ignore those completely. I only use external websites with FB Connect to get notifications to keep track of replies.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I gave up trying to keep my different groups of friends categorized. I have Facebook friends that are family, church friends, ABW friends, high school classmates, merchants, other affiliates, friendly competitors, former coworkers, and quite a few that are just friends of friends that I don't even know.

Any of my friends on Facebook - Make sure to check out my latest video (must be a member, and I think a friend to see) - Grace (my 3 year old) doing flips off the diving board!
    Mr. Popularity eh?

I would be harsh, but I'm jealous. -

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Do you play Mafia Wars?

I get round the problem by not using Facebook, or MySpace, or LinkedIn..
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

I must admit, I love Facebook.

On a personal level - it's helped me reconnect with a lot of old friends. It's also proved useful for quickly communication to certain groups and my family.

On a professional level, we're still working through how to best use it to drive traffic, but it's coming along nicely. Feel free to "friend" phillyBurbs.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I rarely use any of the apps, if ever. Like Scott, I enjoy keeping up with family & friend's photos. And connecting with certain old friends

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    I rarely use any of the apps, if ever. Like Scott, I enjoy keeping up with family & friend's photos. And connecting with certain old friends
    I'd second that. Our family is pretty widespread (both coasts) and we rarely the opportunity to travel to see them. So it's nice to keep in touch with pictures and info on FB.

But, ugh, I cannot figure out an effective way to deal with all the apps and/or "market" anything via FB. Getting ready to start that app blocking approach Michael mentioned.
    Generate more fake news.

I totally recommend blocking the apps you have no interest in ever using. You'll block a bunch at first, but eventually (even with a ton of friends), it's just a few new ones a week that pop up.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

http and a telephoto
    I block apps also, it does cut down on the noise. I log in when I get notices that someone posted photos. I have fan pages and a couple of groups, and use those infrequently. I know that since I ignore most mail and messages I get through there that others probably do too.

Basically I'm there to catch the traffic that exists on Facebook and expose it to my sites, and then send the people to my sites. I don't link from any of my own sites *to* facebook.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I have Facebook friends that are just friends of friends that I don't even know!

Then how can they actually be called friends Michael???? Did they ever steal a diet red bull off your desk top and live to tell about it?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Has a can of Diet Red Bull ever sat on my desk long enough to be stolen?
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Has a can of Diet Red Bull ever sat on my desk long enough to be stolen?

How quickly we forget Think Tank two years ago in AZ... hehe
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Meet people talk to friends, not much more to do than that. Its a good place to connect to other with.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread